Is it my imagination? Or are people trending away from .45acp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I've just gotten into. 357 Sig and am impressed with the round. The most impressive part for me at the moment is that I was able to order Underwood carry ammo and it was both in stock and reasonably priced

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I may have to investigate this magic caliber after the current project queue has been cleared.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I've just gotten into. 357 Sig and am impressed with the round. The most impressive part for me at the moment is that I was able to order Underwood carry ammo and it was both in stock and reasonably priced

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yup, the Underwood ammo is what I've been carrying in my Sig P229 ever since I dropped the 357SIG barrel into it ! :yesway:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Don't know fellas. I prefer to cobble together my own stuff. If you're going to shoot a semi-auto pistol how can you beat a large diameter reliably feeding round nosed soft heavy slug with a gaping hollow point that turns into an ashtray and still just keeps right on pushing forwards?

Perhaps you like a .40 instead of a .45.
    .40 can work too.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I concur......the 357SIG has been overlooked for too long. It's a dynamite round !

357 sig is awesome specifically because normal FMJ stuff is running full velocity.

But if you don't want to make the switch, there's 9mm loadings that can typically come close enough as to make the difference meaningless.
    It makes a 40S&W handgun into something enjoyable to shoot.

It's ashame the better option, the 9x23mm Winchster, isn't any more popular than it is.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I carry a Shield 45 in hot weather and my CZ P10f in cooler weather. Around the house in the yard I carry my TX22. It's Varmint killing season don't you know.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I let my only 45 acp go after picking up a 10mm. I will likely buy another 45 at some point since I have reloading components and handloaded ammo in that caliber. Gotta say I do like the 10mm as much or more than the 45.

This is the main reason I moved away from the .45 ACP. I carried a Glock 21 and/or Glock 30 for years and absolutely loved the guns, but after I bought a Glock 40 10mm, it was time for a change. I only shot my G21 at GSSF matches and had sold my G30's off for other projects. I had a couple Glock 41's and shot those at GSSF matches too, but I replaced them with the G40 for that.
    I now EDC 9mm because I hit with it better than I did with a .45 and .45 ammo was easily twice the cost of 9mm. 10mm and .45 ammo is comparably priced and I can deer hunt with the 10mm.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    357 sig is awesome specifically because normal FMJ stuff is running full velocity.

But if you don't want to make the switch, there's 9mm loadings that can typically come close enough as to make the difference meaningless.

It's ashame the better option, the 9x23mm Winchster, isn't any more popular than it is.

One of the things that I’m coming to like about the .357 Sig in a gun convertible to .40 is that I can reload and practice all I want with the .40 and then carry with .357 Sig. When shooting the two back to back, I cannot feel a huge difference between the feel of the guns. It almost felt as if the .357 was a softer shooter than the comparable .40 to me. I don’t have any intention of reloading .357 Sig but do reload a bunch of .40, so having that avenue for practice is nice.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    One of the things that I’m coming to like about the .357 Sig in a gun convertible to .40 is that I can reload and practice all I want with the .40 and then carry with .357 Sig. When shooting the two back to back, I cannot feel a huge difference between the feel of the guns. It almost felt as if the .357 was a softer shooter than the comparable .40 to me. I don’t have any intention of reloading .357 Sig but do reload a bunch of .40, so having that avenue for practice is nice.

The POI with 357sig is massively lower than 40S&W for me, so practicing with 40 seems like a bad idea.
    The main thing I notice is that 357sig generates FAR less muzzle flip, even if the recoil impulse isn't that much less.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I concur...the 357SIG has been overlooked for too long. It's a dynamite round !

It's ashamed the better option, the 9x23mm Winchester, isn't any more popular than it is.

I've liked .357SIG for many years, having carried it as a primary caliber 10+ years ago...but sold out of it in 2009 after losing both of my jobs within 5 days of each other due to the economic downturn.

The .357SIG caliber really mixes up the 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp caliber war as it blends the best of all of the different calibers, their components, their ballistics, the overall performance, etc., into just 1 caliber. It makes the .355 diameter bullet (aka, 9mm caliber) perform in the manner it was designed to achieve, maintains ballistical performance for a longer distance, achieves the penetration depth that many seem to desire, passes through many barriers that will alter, slow-down, or even stop lighter calibers, and creates a similar, if not larger, wound pattern than a .45 acp. The only draw-back in the noise factor if shooting without hearing protection, but not different than the .357 magnum caliber.

In going back to the .357SIG caliber, this past summer, I was able to increase magazine capacity without sacrificing any ballistical performance as compared to the .45 acp, which is still a preferred carry round...and, most importantly, I can walk into just about any local gun store and find it on the shelf with reasonable pricing.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    .45 ACP is my bastard caliber... I've got a .45 ACP version of my favorite handgun in the safe that I've put some rounds through, but I currently have exactly 0 rounds of .45 ACP to my name and don't feel overly concerned about it, either. I'm just a 9mm shooter because it does everything I want (except be available on the shelf when everybody panic buys).

Top Bottom