Is it my imagination? Or are people trending away from .45acp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    For years I would not even consider owning a 9mm pistol. Seemed back then (late 1980s - early 1990s) all the rage about the 9mm was all about capacity. When the SIG P239 came out I though it was the perfect size pistol for the 9mm cartridge. Bought one in 1997 and still own it. Later bought a Smith Shield , much more compact and then the SIG P356 which "retired" the Shield.

I still have 45s and don't have any plans to part with any of them. A few of the 9mms will be sold eventually.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Later bought a Smith Shield , much more compact and then the SIG P356 which "retired" the Shield.

What do you find about the P365 that caused you to "retire" the Shield?

I have never shot one, but holding it in my hand, it sure seemed smaller than my Shield. Holding it, I thought too small for me.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Not me.
    And for the record, this: "Or finally everyone has figured out that .40's and 9mm just flat out, out preform .45acp?" is a broad personal opinion. It is not a fact.
    There so many threads here dealing with this exact issue.
    >80% of my EDC time is with my .45. I have more .45ACP weapons than any other caliber and that will not be changing any time soon. Those are facts.
    That said, your assumption that people are trending away from 45ACP, may be correct.

I'm still a .45 acp fan and prefer it as a carry caliber for home and personal defense.
    I like the feel of the recoil when I shoot it and I prefer the ballistics it produces when shot!
    And I love my Glock 36, 6+1, .45 acp compact 'officer's' size pistol...comfortable in the grip and on the hip!
    That being said, this past summer, I leaned more towards .357SIG as a variable as it provides similar ballistics (depending on the bullet weight and barrel length) while providing an increased magazine capacity, which has become more of a factor in my choice of defensive carry, with consideration for the increased potential for running into a situation where defending myself may become an issue, and in greater numbers as well??? I hate to have to think this way, but considering the increased potential for danger is a responsibility that needs to be considered and adjustments made to accommodate the possibilities and based on some of the events that took place in different cities around our great country, contemplating the need for increased capacity is a 'must' that needs to be taken into consideration!
    That being said, the number of federal, state, and local law enforcement departments that have switched from .40 S&W to 9mm has led the way in the swing to 9mm for many .40 S&W and .45 acp users as it's a 'band-wagon' sort of response. It's important to note that I've never been a 'band-wagon' sort of person, preferring to walk my own path in life!

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    What do you find about the P365 that caused you to "retire" the Shield?

I have never shot one, but holding it in my hand, it sure seemed smaller than my Shield. Holding it, I thought too small for me.

The P365 is a more compact pistol than the Shield that holds more rounds and is still very manageable to shoot accurately. The side profile of the P365 is more like my Glock 42 which is of course a 380. Laying the G42 on top of the P365 pretty much hides it. My old P239 is simply a huge beast compared to the P365.
    Just shows how carry guns have evolved over the the last 20 years.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The P365 is a more compact pistol than the Shield that holds more rounds and is still very manageable to shoot accurately. The side profile of the P365 is more like my Glock 42 which is of course a 380. Laying the G42 on top of the P365 pretty much hides it. My old P239 is simply a huge beast compared to the P365.
    Just shows how carry guns have evolved over the the last 20 years.

I really like the Shield and I shoot it pretty decently but I might have to see if I can try a 365 once. Holding a firearm really doesn't provide the feedback to make an informed decision.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I really like the Shield and I shoot it pretty decently but I might have to see if I can try a 365 once. Holding a firearm really doesn't provide the feedback to make an informed decision.

I don't know what magazine you carry your Shield with. (Flat baseplate or extended) But for me, the P365 with an XL grip module is just about perfection for concealment vs capacity. I don't think Sig sells this particular combination yet, you'd have to buy a standard P365 and an XL grip module. I don't like "pinky dangler" guns and never carried my P365 with the standard 10 round mag, always opting to use the 12 round with extension. So I figured there was no reason to use the standard 10 round grip module, just use the XL module with 12 round mags.

Having owned a Shield in 9mm, I'd never go back after having the P365. And I'm an M&P fan. Just not in this particular arena.

P365x.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't know what magazine you carry your Shield with. (Flat baseplate or extended) But for me, the P365 with an XL grip module is just about perfection for concealment vs capacity. I don't think Sig sells this particular combination yet, you'd have to buy a standard P365 and an XL grip module. I don't like "pinky dangler" guns and never carried my P365 with the standard 10 round mag, always opting to use the 12 round with extension. So I figured there was no reason to use the standard 10 round grip module, just use the XL module with 12 round mags.

Having owned a Shield in 9mm, I'd never go back after having the P365. And I'm an M&P fan. Just not in this particular arena.

P365x.jpg

Hmm..., the XL is a larger grip module? Basically the frame? That is what I didn't like about the one I held, the frame seemed too small. If it is bigger, that could eliminate that concern for me.

I like the open trigger guard. I don't like small, squished down trigger guards.

Plus, that pistol looks good too!

I bet Point Blank doesn't have one like that for rent. I'll ask around to see who has one. Thanks...maybe...you may have cost me money...:)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Hmm..., the XL is a larger grip module? Basically the frame? That is what I didn't like about the one I held, the frame seemed too small. If it is bigger, that could eliminate that concern for me.

I like the open trigger guard. I don't like small, squished down trigger guards.

Plus, that pistol looks good too!

I bet Point Blank doesn't have one like that for rent. I'll ask around to see who has one. Thanks...maybe...you may have cost me money...:)

:spend:

No, Point Blank won't have one like that, since it's not a stock item. But they may have a P365xl for rent, which is that exact grip module, but the longer XL slide.

The terminology is kinda non-standard. It's a polymer grip module that would be the "frame" of any other gun, but the actual "frame" is the metal guts that you swap from one grip module to another.

It kinda works like the Sig P320 grip module/frame system, if you want to research it. Sort of a modular feature.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    :spend:

No, Point Blank won't have one like that, since it's not a stock item. But they may have a P365xl for rent, which is that exact grip module, but the longer XL slide.

The terminology is kinda non-standard. It's a polymer grip module that would be the "frame" of any other gun, but the actual "frame" is the metal guts that you swap from one grip module to another.

It kinda works like the Sig P320 grip module/frame system, if you want to research it. Sort of a modular feature.

I see. I am familiar with the 320 system. I'll do some research. A friend of mine's wife has the standard size.

geoexchange

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012

P365x.jpg

That looks very familiar to me! I switched from .45/1911's to the P365. I found that I only carried the 12-round magazine anyway, so I put the XL grip frame on as well. Perfect carry combo in my opinion either IWB or OWB. I can also still pocket carry with the right pants. I will probably switch back to the regular grip module next summer for easier pocket carry and the flat 10-round magazines. I also installed the flat trigger, but really didn't like the feel - go figure since I'm used to a flat trigger single-action.... I own many different brands of 1911's from cheap to high-end, and collect WWI vintage 1911's. I LOVE my 1911's, I even used to give the guys at the range a hard time about carrying mouse gun 9mm's and was known as the ".45 guy", but switching to the P365 opened my eyes to something new. It's just so darn easy to shoot, it feels like I'm cheating. (I really hope my 1911's can't read this!) I'm an active NRA Instructor, and even have started a few people out on this platform that had no previous handgun experience. The recoil isn't bad at all, and like I said, it's just so easy to shoot - accurately and fast. My first experience had me busting clay targets on the backstop up to 50 yards offhand. With a 3" barrel 9mm!!!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I see. I am familiar with the 320 system. I'll do some research. A friend of mine's wife has the standard size.

And the good thing is that the 12 round mags sold now come with the base plates to work with either the XL grip module or the standard 365 grip module, so you can go either direction with just a base plate swap. If you have older 12 round mags like I do, you can buy the base plates separately to fit the mag with the XL module.

If you want to get something of a feel for it, a standard 365 with a 12 round mag is the same size. It won't have the same exact feel as the XL grip module but you'll get an idea. Or as Route45 said handle an XL.

I picked up a Gray Guns standard grip module for my carry 365 or it would be wearing an XL module. I may have to pick up an XL module for one of the spare 365's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    And the good thing is that the 12 round mags sold now come with the base plates to work with either the XL grip module or the standard 365 grip module, so you can go either direction with just a base plate swap. If you have older 12 round mags like I do, you can buy the base plates separately to fit the mag with the XL module.

If you want to get something of a feel for it, a standard 365 with a 12 round mag is the same size. It won't have the same exact feel as the XL grip module but you'll get an idea. Or as Route45 said handle an XL.

I picked up a Gray Guns standard grip module for my carry 365 or it would be wearing an XL module. I may have to pick up an XL module for one of the spare 365's.

I did some research and checked prices. I'm going to stick with my Shield. I have had two of them and I have seven years with them. I have extra mags, holsters, etc. I shoot it well, especially after I invested a month or so just shooting it and nothing else. Now I try to shoot 1 for 1 with my Compact when I go to the range to keep what I gained.

I know the capacity is less but I never let that bother me. If I get concerned, I'll carry my compact.:)

I may get a Magguts +2 extension for it though. That would give me 10 rounds which is twice what I carried the first half of my carry years, lol(Taurus 85CH).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I did some research and checked prices. I'm going to stick with my Shield. I have had two of them and I have seven years with them. I have extra mags, holsters, etc. I shoot it well, especially after I invested a month or so just shooting it and nothing else. Now I try to shoot 1 for 1 with my Compact when I go to the range to keep what I gained.

I know the capacity is less but I never let that bother me. If I get concerned, I'll carry my compact.:)

I may get a Magguts +2 extension for it though. That would give me 10 rounds which is twice what I carried the first half of my carry years, lol(Taurus 85CH).

Makes sense. Carry what you shoot well and have put in the time with.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm still a .45 acp fan and prefer it as a carry caliber for home and personal defense.
    I like the feel of the recoil when I shoot it and I prefer the ballistics it produces when shot!
    And I love my Glock 36, 6+1, .45 acp compact 'officer's' size pistol...comfortable in the grip and on the hip!
    That being said, this past summer, I leaned more towards .357SIG as a variable as it provides similar ballistics (depending on the bullet weight and barrel length) while providing an increased magazine capacity, which has become more of a factor in my choice of defensive carry, with consideration for the increased potential for running into a situation where defending myself may become an issue, and in greater numbers as well??? I hate to have to think this way, but considering the increased potential for danger is a responsibility that needs to be considered and adjustments made to accommodate the possibilities and based on some of the events that took place in different cities around our great country, contemplating the need for increased capacity is a 'must' that needs to be taken into consideration!
    That being said, the number of federal, state, and local law enforcement departments that have switched from .40 S&W to 9mm has led the way in the swing to 9mm for many .40 S&W and .45 acp users as it's a 'band-wagon' sort of response. It's important to note that I've never been a 'band-wagon' sort of person, preferring to walk my own path in life!

I concur......the 357SIG has been overlooked for too long. It's a dynamite round !

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've just gotten into. 357 Sig and am impressed with the round. The most impressive part for me at the moment is that I was able to order Underwood carry ammo and it was both in stock and reasonably priced

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've just gotten into. 357 Sig and am impressed with the round. The most impressive part for me at the moment is that I was able to order Underwood carry ammo and it was both in stock and reasonably priced

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Highsmith has a pretty good stock of 357Sig ammo right now if you need some more.

Top Bottom