• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    If your guns don't move at a show, you are out your table costs and time, and gas if not local.

If your guns don't sell on Ingo or gunbroker, you are out maybe 5min per gun listed.

Exactly this. I'd rather risk the effort than my money. Dealing with GB sort of sucks (it's the shipping I don't like). Armslist can be straight up scary (I've yet to have a bad experience but I've heard some bad things from others). Selling/buying on INGO has always been a very, very good experience. I've met a few who I now consider friends.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    I know some folks don't love armslist. But I've used it plenty and had great luck. Lately, anything I list is gone within 24 hours and the people have been nothing but friendly.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it or not but the Gun Show has advantages over our classified section, GB or AL if he has several items to sell. Having everything at one place is better than spending a bunch of time meeting people. I’d take less at the gun show just to move it at one time.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I learned a lot by setting up at a gun show. Man, did I ever. Should be a thread about my lessons learned, circa November 2018.

The guy from the NRA Booth with the distinguished grey beard stopped by and talked to you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Used to do gunshows w my dad.
    Was tolerable way back.

Todays gun crowd.........not as cool IMHO.

Sat at pops table for a couple hrs last show and some of his old buds came by to BS.
    That was worth it.

He sold a rifle for me. A dealer bought it and marked it up about 100% LOL.

Normally I take my stuff to a shop, let them deal w people. Used to be 10% consignment. Might be 15% now, dunno.
    Will be dumping my Ruger #1 there later this week.

Sold a few on GB, no probs (years ago), hated dealing w shipping.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I learned a lot by setting up at a gun show. Man, did I ever. Should be a thread about my lessons learned, circa November 2018.

^^^^^^^^I bet that would be an interesting thread? I personally would enjoy reading it as I have never had any experience selling at show? I bet there would be some great advise and greater stories.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    If I had only my guns to sell I wouldn’t mess with it but I feel it’d be easier to set everything up at once. I think it’s worth $20 to set up but it looks like I gotta watch out for thieves.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gunshow.....youre dealing w the public.

Many of them CoD players, Fudds and other social misfits.

Some are outright liars and A holes and would sell their mother to make a buck.

There are some cool gun/ hunting people, buy they are the minority.

Just saying.....gunshows are a chore. And some folks could use a good throat punch

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ^^^^^^^^I bet that would be an interesting thread? I personally would enjoy reading it as I have never had any experience selling at show? I bet there would be some great advise and greater stories.

It is the November 2018 Indy1500 thread. Very valuable lessons taught to me.

1. Crap sells.
    2. I completely understand why dealers have flea market crap on their tables.
    3. Stay flexible.
    4. Sell crap.

From the thread:

Great show, great lessons learned and made just above my goal.

I forecasted the market very, very poorly prior to the show, but was able to adjust and respond to what people sought. (Reinforced the dangers of planned economies for me).

Completely misread the demand for "milsurps". Only sold 5 and did not sell a single Indian Enfield. Did sell one of the K31s (the degreased one) to a very interested and very bright young man. Made me feel good.

People wanted crap, entry level handguns and .22 rifles. I was able to give them this and be rewarded for it.

I sold two options on high end Colts and Smiths. Using my father's tactic of turning one gun into multiple guns I sought out FFLs who showed interest in them, so I will likely trade them as opposed to sell them.

Cannot believe how well the non-gun stuff sold. Like a pack of ravenous wolves, customers devoured 2 big freezer bags of handgun stocks. I have a grand total of 5 left. Every single FNRA knife sold. I made the nut (inlcuding gas and food) for the show and well into the black just on stocks and knives.

Stay super flexible. Learn to read the crowd and always be willing to run and buy .22 ammo for the customer.:D

SPECIAL THANKS: A very large thank you to INGOer Mike Grasso who came part-time Saturday even though he just flew back in Friday from Europe giving his bride a tour of Italy. Mike showed up again Sunday and brought reinforcements AND lunch. Additionally, thanks to Mike, I know have Agent Booth's shotgun. Envy me.:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Most important lesson was reading the market. I had completely mis-judged the demand for "mil-surps". It was all Internet teeth talk. I had them by the car load. I sold a mere 5.

The high end Smiths and Colts I brought did not even make anyone blink. They wanted cheap, shlock handguns, gun parts, and Friends of the NRA knives (wish I had more knives, those sold out within hours).

The dealer behind me had no guns, no ammo, but had an unlimited supply of fidget spinners. He easily made more more than I did and did not show up Sunday.

He explained it to me thus: people only have $400 in their pocket, they need groceries, so 300, they need gas and beer, 225. They walk the show and they want someone to give them something for free. The $5 fidget spinner was proof that they had SOMETHING for walking the show. I then understood why my FNRA knives sold so well, it all came together.

His name was Ed, and I learned a tremendous about about selling at gun shows from him just in 2 days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Most important lesson was reading the market. I had completely mis-judged the demand for "mil-surps". It was all Internet teeth talk. I had them by the car load. I sold a mere 5.

The high end Smiths and Colts I brought did not even make anyone blink. They wanted cheap, shlock handguns, gun parts, and Friends of the NRA knives (wish I had more knives, those sold out within hours).

The dealer behind me had no guns, no ammo, but had an unlimited supply of fidget spinners. He easily made more more than I did and did not show up Sunday.

He explained it to me thus: people only have $400 in their pocket, they need groceries, so 300, they need gas and beer, 225. They walk the show and they want someone to give them something for free. The $5 fidget spinner was proof that they had SOMETHING for walking the show. I then understood why my FNRA knives sold so well, it all came together.

His name was Ed, and I learned a tremendous about about selling at gun shows from him just in 2 days.

I really only look for milsurps at shows. Problem is, too many sellers have them priced above what I'm willing to pay (not pointing fingers, since I don't now how your pricing was, just sayin' :). The fact that I'm a cheap bastard doesn't help either. :):). I've probably had as good if not better luck with walk-ins when it comes to buying milsurps, but that's strictly luck of the draw.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Also lots of time people have crap for Mil-surp but think they have gold and the world by the Yarbles. I have seen some Mil-surp guys empty a table before the show starts. Then again those rascals know their crap, not only do they know how to sell but more important know how to buy.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    If you don't have anything to do for the next 20 minutes or so.........https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/people-you-meet-at-a-gun-show.8195/
    I've met most of these guys. Shoot, i've been some of them.

Long, but humorous.

That was a great read Dave, thanks for the link, I got several chuckles. Sure makes me hope I don't come across as one of THOSE stereotypes. I've never been on the table side but have seen many of these guys listed. However I've met several great guys at local shows and it's nice to see them still there. I usually go into shows with a reserved expectation of finding that special gun or item I need at a decent price. Lord knows it's getting tougher to do but it still beats a day at work! I for one, really appreciate all the guys and gals that take the time to come out, setup all of their stuff, and deal with all the lemmings that stroll by. They have more patience and restraint than I would ever have dealing with the tire-kickers, self-exclaimed experts, story-tellers and low-ballers. Sometimes with just brief eye contact, the sellers catch me just shaking my head when I hear/see how these guys are wasting their time. Jeez....shut up already!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Also lots of time people have crap for Mil-surp but think they have gold and the world by the Yarbles. I have seen some Mil-surp guys empty a table before the show starts. Then again those rascals know their crap, not only do they know how to sell but more important know how to buy.

All my stuff was top drawer. Everything was still in the grease but one K-31 that I used to shoot with my brother. They did not move, but I was not "motivated seller".

I think the higher end stuff that I had scared people off, thus the big lesson of gun shows, sell crap. If non-gun crap, the quicker it will sell.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    All my stuff was top drawer. Everything was still in the grease but one K-31 that I used to shoot with my brother. They did not move, but I was not "motivated seller".

I think the higher end stuff that I had scared people off, thus the big lesson of gun shows, sell crap. If non-gun crap, the quicker it will sell.

Calm down. Calm down... No one was accusing, I am sure your display looked like something from Julias' Auction house, just talking generalities ..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom