• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    John Willis is a very nice guy and I have nothing but respect for the man.

And yes that's coming from someone who has met John.

If you have time, just go down there and have them make the stuff for you while you wait. Take a two day class with Yeager while you are down there and stay in the bunker.

I dropped by their old shop when I was taking a class at Tactical Response. John was kind of a dick (except the kind of part). I would not recommend planning on stopping by out of the blue and chewing the fat while the sew shop whips up your order.

I'm not trashing SOE or John. I love their gear and am not overly put off by John being a dick.

I love my SOE AR Micro Rig. If I did not have one, I would pick one up in a heartbeat. Before I dropped $500 on a full sized chest rig from SOE, I would put together a plate carrier and plates, like a PIG plate carrier. I have some SOE stuff (micro rig, small and large trauma kits, variety of pouches). I like their stuff. It works and it takes a hell of a beating, but I do not think their full sized chest rigs are a good value compared to some of their very good competitors.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not sure what that has to do with my quandary. Have you looked at the belt listing on SOE? dozens of dozens listed... velcro, no velcro, trouser belts, edc belts....

You mentioned you wanted a simple belt. I suggested a simple belt that I think is a better alternative. (good product, fast ship, Hoosier company, INGO advertiser, etc) :dunno: I have yet to talk to anyone that doesnt like their BioBelt.

Dont get me wrong. I have a SOE cobra belt. Its awesome. I just dont wear it because its a PITA to thread it. I have to unthread the male end of the buckle, struggle to thread the belt, then reattach. Reverse at night to remove it.

So not hating on SOE, I like their products. They just arent always the best option.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    USDS had a bin full of various Micro-Rigs at one time, might try them?

I just checked US Defense Solutions and didn't see any SOE products. AGS armament used to have SOE gear at one time as well, but I think John only sells direct now.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've wanted a 12 gauge Micro Rig for years. But I will simply not order something and pay in full up front, with no option for a refund, when the best estimated ship date I can get is "maybe someday when we get around to it, until then f' off. "

Best thing I've found is running a google search of "WTS SOE ........" and find something used right now. I bought a 12ga micro rig from here on ingo for around $70. I doubt it was ever used, and I'm not much of a shotgun guy anyway so I don't use it that much, but it's nice to have it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You mentioned you wanted a simple belt. I suggested a simple belt that I think is a better alternative. (good product, fast ship, Hoosier company, INGO advertiser, etc) :dunno: I have yet to talk to anyone that doesnt like their BioBelt.

Dont get me wrong. I have a SOE cobra belt. Its awesome. I just dont wear it because its a PITA to thread it. I have to unthread the male end of the buckle, struggle to thread the belt, then reattach. Reverse at night to remove it.

So not hating on SOE, I like their products. They just arent always the best option.
    I have two of the biobelts now, they are okay... . For wearing in my jeans, I liked my old Galco belt the best, but the velcro strap that secures it is just about all worn out.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Funny story of how big a dick John is. Couple of years back, yours truly purchased a half dozen SOE beer coozies. I gave most away as gifts, but kept one for myself. It went everywhere with me, being Ranger banded to the shifter in the JEEP. Well, on one excursion or another, I "lost" it. Tore the JEEP apart, the house, the garage...I loved that coozie! Dejected, I ordered more(to replace mine, and some more giveaways), in the meantime, my wife contacted SOE/John via FB email, whatev, explaining my life or death situation, and wanting to buy another to replace the one I'd lost. He emailed her back moments later asking for her address. She gave it to him and he said not to worry they were on it. Several days pass, and I come home and the wife confronts me with a brand new coozie and a box of SWAG they threw in, explaining what she did, and what they in turn did. John Willis, dick that he is, replaced my "lost" coozie absolutely free of charge, and threw in a box load of badassery to boot! A day or so later, the replacement box I paid for came in, and my buddy calls me and tells me he has my coozie, I left it in their pool house the last time I was over!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I really like their convertible bungee slings. I have used them as a one point sling for move and shoot classes and I have used them as a two point for hasty and as a modified loop sling in prone.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Funny story of how big a dick John is. Couple of years back, yours truly purchased a half dozen SOE beer coozies. I gave most away as gifts, but kept one for myself. It went everywhere with me, being Ranger banded to the shifter in the JEEP. Well, on one excursion or another, I "lost" it. Tore the JEEP apart, the house, the garage...I loved that coozie! Dejected, I ordered more(to replace mine, and some more giveaways), in the meantime, my wife contacted SOE/John via FB email, whatev, explaining my life or death situation, and wanting to buy another to replace the one I'd lost. He emailed her back moments later asking for her address. She gave it to him and he said not to worry they were on it. Several days pass, and I come home and the wife confronts me with a brand new coozie and a box of SWAG they threw in, explaining what she did, and what they in turn did. John Willis, dick that he is, replaced my "lost" coozie absolutely free of charge, and threw in a box load of badassery to boot! A day or so later, the replacement box I paid for came in, and my buddy calls me and tells me he has my coozie, I left it in their pool house the last time I was over!

Just validating how big of a dick John is.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    John Willis is a good man. I'm sure the man will be financially well off forever because of his drive and determination and his abilities. Also he has a strong wife who is his partner and awesome kids who won't grow up to be leaches on society. BUT, if he ever needed anything id give it to him. I'd find a way to help,him because of who he is as a person. John Willis inspires people to be better for themselves and others. The simple *****es will never get that.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Thats an awesome story brother. You know when I read it I wasn't even surprised he did that. Because I have read (im sure you have too), so many stories of johns generosity and kindness to complete strangers that I can't even count them all. And I'm sure there's many many more that we will never hear about. Sometimes it's all about how you come at a person and your intentions. Im proud to have met him and his family and toured his shop and to be a customer

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    John Willis is a good man. I'm sure the man will be financially well off forever because of his drive and determination and his abilities. Also he has a strong wife who is his partner and awesome kids who won't grow up to be leaches on society. BUT, if he ever needed anything id give it to him. I'd find a way to help,him because of who he is as a person. John Willis inspires people to be better for themselves and others. The simple *****es will never get that.

He can be brash, but he takes it like he gives it. He's not perfect and has bad days just like anyone else. He didn't like the fact that we went by there, but he told us to come back after he closed and he gave us a full tour of the place.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom