• Is Ted Cruz a "natural born" citizen?

• Total voters

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    And if all you say is true, why is Cruz's name even a possibility. If a natural born citizen is crucial to upholding the entire republic when it's a dem in office, the same should hold true for a repub. but we all know that there are birthers out there who would vote for a non natural citizen with an r next to his name.

Cruz is not eligible.

Oblamarama is not eligible.

Why has this thread gone on for page after page?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Whether Obama is legal or not, it still doesn't change the fact that the majority of voters elected him twice. Had he been disqualified, a dem still would have won.

The last time (2012) Obama only won by 0.6% (about 4 million votes). Had the republicans who had voted in 2008 showed up, Obama would have lost.

What gets me is how everyone thinks that Obama won by a landslide.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The last time (2012) Obama only won by 0.6% (about 4 million votes). Had the republicans who had voted in 2008 showed up, Obama would have lost.

Not necessarily. You can't just look at the popular vote numbers.

If all those 4 million voters were in states that went for Romney anyway, it wouldn't have made any difference at all. They would have to have been in states that went for Obama by a small margin, spread out enough among those states to swing several of them from Obama to Romney, and not so spread out that they couldn't achieve that goal.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Not necessarily. You can't just look at the popular vote numbers.

If all those 4 million voters were in states that went for Romney anyway, it wouldn't have made any difference at all. They would have to have been in states that went for Obama by a small margin, spread out enough among those states to swing several of them from Obama to Romney, and not so spread out that they couldn't achieve that goal.

This. IIRC, Romney lost by about 100 electoral votes.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Had the Republican Party given those voters who stayed home someone worth voting for, maybe they don't stay home.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Had the Republican Party given those voters who stayed home someone worth voting for, maybe they don't stay home.

This.

It always amuses me that Republicans smugly accuse Libertarians of trying to tell them how to win an election when the Libertarians never win. They're misunderstanding the point when they say that.

I'm not telling the Republicans how to win. I'm telling them why I, and I'm sure many others, left.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This.

It always amuses me that Republicans smugly accuse Libertarians of trying to tell them how to win an election when the Libertarians never win. They're misunderstanding the point when they say that.

I'm not telling the Republicans how to win. I'm telling them why I, and I'm sure many others, left.

Why have so many "independents" left the democrats as well? Might they be libertarians?

Why are the libertarians not going after these independents?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why have so many "independents" left the democrats as well? Might they be libertarians?

Ask them. Not having been a Democrat, I couldn't tell you. All I can say is why *I* left the Republican party. But I do know there aren't very many Libertarian-leaning Democrats out there.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

What makes you think they're not? It's painfully obvious to me that you know nothing about what constitutes outreach in the LP or you wouldn't even be asking the question. I know more than a few former dems who are card carrying LP members and many of them have even run for office. The LP reaches out to all sorts of people from many demographics.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This.

After all, winning elections is so much less important to you than being able to check off every platform item in agreement with your ideology before a candidate is eligible to receive your vote. Also, Libertarians have so little success in membership accumulation that you have plenty to teach Republicans about how not to win people to your side.

One thing you have going for you is that a huge portion of Ls vote for your candidates. It's exciting to vote for candidates that are nearly 100% in lock step with your views. The only problem is it's pretty lonely on your end of the bell curve.

But this line of discussion has nothing to do with whether or not Cruz is eligible to be president. Neither does Obama's status.

The criteria is pretty clear. Either he is or he isn't eligible. Cruz and Obama have similar but not the same circumstances. At least we know enough about Cruz for reasonable people to come an accurate conclusion. As far as Obama's concerned, he's only a little while from the lame duck portion of his tenure. It's kinda moot at this point.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    No most of the true liberals (classic liberals/libertarians/civil libertarians) have left the democrats and now are independent.

Well, why don't you go ask THEM why they left.

After all, winning elections is so much less important to you than being able to check off every platform item in agreement with your ideology before a candidate is eligible to receive your vote. Also, Libertarians have so little success in membership accumulation that you have plenty to teach Republicans about how not to win people to your side.

One thing you have going for you is that a huge portion of Ls vote for your candidates. It's exciting to vote for candidates that are nearly 100% in lock step with your views. The only problem is it's pretty lonely on your end of the bell curve.

But this line of discussion has nothing to do with whether or not Cruz is eligible to be president. Neither does Obama's status.

The criteria is pretty clear. Either he is or he isn't eligible. Cruz and Obama have similar but not the same circumstances. At least we know enough about Cruz for reasonable people to come an accurate conclusion. As far as Obama's concerned, he's only a little while from the lame duck portion of his tenure. It's kinda moot at this point.

:rolleyes:

I'm not trying to tell you how to win elections. I'm not trying to tell you how to gain more voters for your party's favorite members (you know, Bloomberg, Boehner, Christie, Romney, McCain, George Bush, etc.). I'm not trying to tell you anything beyond why *I* left. I can't open your eyes for you, and can't teach you to do it yourself. Only you can do that. Maybe someday you will. Probably not, but maybe.

Winning to me is less important than standing by my beliefs. Maybe it isn't to you. :dunno:

As far as Cruz goes? I won't vote for him. You can do what you want, and what you believe is right. If you really believe Candidate (R) represents your interests, your values, your beliefs best, then vote for him.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No most of the true liberals (classic liberals/libertarians/civil libertarians) have left the democrats and now are independent.

I'm not sure the "civil liberties" wing of the Democratic Party was ever all that big. I suspect that more Libertarians once identified with Republicans more than with Democrats. I think you're still thinking in terms of Left vs Right. But politics are multidimensional. In a two party system that makes it necessary to pigeonhole everyone into two large camps and a bunch of really tiny camps. Or, you stay home.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, why don't you go ask THEM why they left.

:rolleyes:

I'm not trying to tell you how to win elections. I'm not trying to tell you how to gain more voters for your party's favorite members (you know, Bloomberg, Boehner, Christie, Romney, McCain, George Bush, etc.). I'm not trying to tell you anything beyond why *I* left. I can't open your eyes for you, and can't teach you to do it yourself. Only you can do that. Maybe someday you will. Probably not, but maybe.

Winning to me is less important than standing by my beliefs. Maybe it isn't to you. :dunno:

As far as Cruz goes? I won't vote for him. You can do what you want, and what you believe is right. If you really believe Candidate (R) represents your interests, your values, your beliefs best, then vote for him.

The trouble with standing by your beliefs is that you can be right but might end up dead right.

What good are you values if the rest of the population rejects them? Does it make you feel good about yourself? Morally superior? In other words the same reason that the progressives hold their values? No wonder so many libertarians sound like brain dead leftwingers.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The trouble with standing by your beliefs is that you can be right but might end up dead right.

What good are you values if the rest of the population rejects them? Does it make you feel good about yourself? Morally superior? In other words the same reason that the progressives hold their values? No wonder so many libertarians sound like brain dead leftwingers.

What good are your values, your principles, your morals or your beliefs if you don't stand behind them? What do they really mean if you're willing to sell them out in order to beat the other guy? Nothing. You might as well not even have them.

So yes. I feel morally superior, and better than people who sacrifice their values for the sake of convenience.

Top Bottom