Is the .45 GAP gasping for breath already?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Just like the concept Pistol Caliber Carbine.

Why 45 GAP when you can have a 40 S&W in a smaller size with more capacity? Why 45 GAP when you can have a full power 45acp which is not that much harder to handle?
    Ok, so the second point I agree with, I don't think the GAP has much over the .40. But Pistol Caliber Carbine? I'd hardly call those defunct. MP5s can be found throughout LE, and PCCs make a dandy truck/ HD gun with cheap ammo. They are effective, have low recoil and noise, and are usually very lightweight. I'm not letting go of my Sub 2000 anytime soon.

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    DITTO.
    Why 45 GAP when you can have a 40 S&W in a smaller size with more capacity? Why 45 GAP when you can have a full power 45acp which is not that much harder to handle?

45GAP = 45 ACP ballistics. The answer to the first question is why do people shoot 1911s and glock 21s? Because they prefer .45 caliber over .40 caliber. Millions of shooters make that decision every day.

The answer to the second question is 45GAP = 45 ACP ballistics. Neither is easier or harder to handle. 45GAP has less felt recoil to some shooters, others say they are identical. The ballistics are nearly the same and "full power 45ACP" is no different than "full power 45GAP". Many reviews have claimed standard 45GAP is slightly better ballistically than 45ACP, but it's not worth arguing over. Stating they are evenly matched is plenty realistic. If you mean +P then they make those in both calibers as well. Both can be handloaded hotter and places like double tap, etc. can load either as hot as you would like.

These are all decision we make every day when we choose which guns to own, carry, etc.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    In my opinion .45 GAP was still born.

-G

You ask if it's gasping for air already and I ask when was it strong and healthy as a cartridge choice. Except for officers on the Vanderburgh Co.S.D., I don't know a single person who has ever owned a GAP.
    I gotta agree that it was stillborn as an ego boost for Gaston Glock to have his name on a cartridge. The other manufacturers who made GAP guns were also able to put a regular .45 ACP into the same size gun. Glock was the only one who couldn't figure it out until they "invented" the GAP.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I personally think the GAP was created by Glock, just so people with smaller hands could get their mits around their .45 caliber pistols. I have large hands so I never had any problems getting the distal joint of the trigger finger on the go button, but I guess some do with the Glocks. Thats probably why they came out with the G36.

You nailed it. GAP was a solution to a glock only problem. Other manufacturers make 45acp frames of reasonable size so shooters don't need a shortened case to make the grip more comfortable. For any cartridge to survive there has to be a widespread perception that it is necessary or beneficial for multiple weapons platforms. A cartridge can't survive for long supported only by people who want a .45 caliber glock but find the G21 too large.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I know an Irish Canadian that shoots USPSA with a Smith revolver in 45 gap.
    I asked him why at the last state match. His answer, and I quote " I just like to **** with people"
    I'm still laughing about it , He paid some good money for a custom gun just to mess with people.
    Gotta love the Irish

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I've considered a G39 for carry. I think I find one for a good price I will. I'll just buy the ammo I would need for a life time up front.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Some day, soon, Glock will "pull the plug," and allow the .45 GAP to die a merciful death.

The .45GAP will die, all right, but it won't be soon, and it won't be by Glock's doing. Too much ego invested.

We sell fewer .45GAP pistols than we do 357SIG, and that's saying something.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have 1911's and Glocks. This includes the 17, 19, and 26 in the 9mm family and the 37, 38, and 39 in the GAP family. The 21 was too big for me and I love the .45, which is why I looked at a GAP in the first place. I believe the GAP to be a great gun and is extremely nice to shoot. It's recoil is soft and it is very accurate. Since I reload, ammo is not an issue and it feels better in my hand than any other Glock. People can say what they want, but I'm glad that Glock put it out.

Top Bottom