Is the .45 GAP gasping for breath already?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'll be the first to admit that I don't read every thread on INGO (as if it's humanly possible). But my search fu seems to indicate there hasn't been a serious thread on the .45 GAP for over a year (not including posts for people selling firearms chambered in 45 GAP).

Is the .45 GAP already starting to fade into firearms history?

This isn't intended to be a 45 GAP bashing thread or a thread discussing it's relative merits (which has already been done).

I'm just genuinely interested in the current trend.

What say ye?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I kind of think the .45 GAP was an answer to a question that no one was asking. There have been a number of calibers foregin and domestic over the last 30 years that popped up, and disappeared without a whimper. In addition single company formats seldom stay on the market long. Remember Sony Beta vs. VHS video tapes?

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I kind of think the .45 GAP was an answer to a question that no one was asking.

This.

I believe this is why you aren't seeing much interest in it these days. I can only recall one INGOer who actually carried a .45GAP, and he was having issues finding a suitable ammo supply.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    That's what I figured. I predicted its demise, but was off by a few years.

Speaking of all the cartridges that have come and gone over the years, I was in a museum some years ago and was looking at a catalog from way back when, might have been a Sears Roebuck from the 20s or something. Anyway, I was amazed at all the cartridges I did NOT recognize in the ammunition section (i.e. had never even heard of). Many have come and gone. Fascinating history.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Yup; the .45 GAP has been on life support ever since introduced. Glock can barely give the guns away. Some day, soon, Glock will "pull the plug," and allow the .45 GAP to die a merciful death.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If a smart and successful company such as Glock couldn't make it work, then it simply can't be done.

When 40s+w came around, there was a strong and immediate (perceived) need. And it was adopted by just about any gun maker that made a handgun.

When the 45GAP was introduced it was more of just a hope that it catch on. I'm sure they did their homework. They asked police agencies what they wanted to see, and experience. Even created a few loyal small groups of followers.

What was the number one advantage over 45acp? Grip size? That's not enough to push a new cartridge.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I thought the point was to get a .45 bullet at .45ACP speeds into a 9mm-sized gun.

Given their success with .40S&W - which was a reduced-power 10mm in a 9mm-sized gun, it makes sense to try introducing the GAP round.

I still wouldn't buy one..... and I'm a Glock fan.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Guys you don't see the beauty of the 45 GAP ??? It's the perfect 45 for guys & gals with small hands that want a 45 caliber gun. With a 45 GAP you can now have a frame size the same size as a 9 MM or 40 S&W

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I throw this into every GAP thread...It still holds true.

jdhaines said:
    I carried one for a year or so. I believe in the GAP idea. I switched back to 9mm due to practice ammo costs. People who say it was an answer to a question no one asked are incorrect. There are many people who wanted a Glock 19 with .45 ballistics. (Or Glock 26, or Glock 17). The .45 GAP solution answered that problem. I believe the Glock 9mm & .40 frames are perfect, and the .45ACP frames are uncomfortable. If you happen to share that same feeling and want .45 ballistics....the GAP is your best friend. If you don't happen to have that issue, then you can ignore it completely.

Honestly, Glock did themselves a disservice. They marketed it as a replacement for the .45ACP. What they didn't expect is is all of the old codgers holding onto their .45ACP beliefs and history. They absolutely could not displace the love of 1911s in the standard caliber and immediately pissed off 1911 fans (which is a HUGE subset of gun owners). That is the reason why when you ask on here you get flamed, and why if you mention GAP in a gun shop you will get laughed out of there. It does solve a specific problem, but everyone and their mom hates the idea simply because it tried to step on the toes of .45ACP.

Glock got too big for its britches and should have stayed as a niche solution for a few people. I've heard many police agencies like it because women can get a good grip, but the agency can retain .45 ballistics. By the way...the .45 GAP doesn't use higher pressures, it just removes the extra space that is left in .45ACP cases by today's more efficient powders. From a purely economical standpoint, we should all switch to .45GAP (less brass). From a real-world standpoint...no chance in hell.

They are sweet shooters. The ole' solution in search of a problem line gets thrown around a time or two in every GAP thread. If it fits what you are looking for then go for it. Check around for ammo availability. It's available, but you have to be willing to search a little or buy online.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'm gonna say "answer to question no one asked" just because I think it's a clever turn of phrase, and think it makes me look clever to repeat it.

The GAP is a neat concept, but is doomed. With the Short Frame 45/10mm Glocks, there's that much less reason for anyone to want/need a GAP. The niche that it did fill -45 fans with small hands- have options that don't sacrifice ammo availability and cost. The one advantage it had is pretty much gone, and only the downsides remain. With that, it's on it's last breath. I'm surprised Glock hasn't dropped them already. I think that might be a vanity thing, though. It's their baby, they can't drop it without losing some face.

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The 45 G.A.P. was Glocks answer to the somewhat (?) successful 357 Sig, it just hurt their pride that SIG came out with a cartridge with their name on it. Why do they call it the 357 Auto on their pistols, they just can't say the word "SIG". The 45 G.A.P. will join the L-O-N-G line of useless & defunct cartridges, such as the 8mm Remingtom Mag, all of the WSSM rounds, 9mm Win Mag, 45 Win Mag, 475 Widley, 454 Casull, etc etc etc.....................

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    I hope it sticks around. I've got a 37, and really like it. It sure seems to shoot just as flat as anything else, has a smaller grip than an ACP GLOCK, and supposedly the GAP offers very similar ballistics to the ACP but with a slight reduction in felt recoil. The ACP was never an issue in my big ole meat hooks, but the GAP does seem to buck just a little less.

Although the ammo isn't exactly inexpensive, its not all that bad. S&B stuff works great for around $22-23 per box of 50. I do hope it stays available on the shelves for some time though. Otherwise, I'll be needing to buy some dies.

As for parts...I am sure if I needed them...I could pick up an ANIB 37 for a song with all the haters out there.

EDIT: More on topic I suppose.....For giggles a while back, I asked the guys at BRADIS if they would take my 37 in on trade, the guy chuckled. :): He has too many on the shelves not moving as is. He doesnt need another. So, using that as a barometer, it is quite likely that the GAP is doomed as eveyone else has predicted. Only to be resurected in a very far off future issue of Handloader Magazine.

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    when i was first getting back into handguns I almost bought one from buds for $377 brand spankin' new in OD Green. I kind of wish I got it because when I made the decision to get it then it was sold.
    Glock 39 45GAP, Fixed Sights, Olive Drab, 6rd Mags $377.00 SHIPS FREE
    I started researching and found that it was going to be hard, though possible, to get ammo. I personally like the idea if it means a higher capacity of 45 caliber ammo but if I remember it really translated to a single stack mag that was thinner. Thin is good but only 6 +1 capacity in a semi auto glock seems underarmed to me

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I personally think the GAP was created by Glock, just so people with smaller hands could get their mits around their .45 caliber pistols. I have large hands so I never had any problems getting the distal joint of the trigger finger on the go button, but I guess some do with the Glocks. Thats probably why they came out with the G36.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I kind of think the .45 GAP was an answer to a question that no one was asking.

DITTO.

Just like the concept Pistol Caliber Carbine. Or the 357 Magnum Coonan Arms 1911. Have you seen much demand for the 357 Sig auto pistols lately? Other answers to a questions nobody asked. There are plenty of examples in the firearms industry of great ideas that ended up being not so great. Oh they may be fun, or they may be interesting, and some are even semi-useful, but generally they are nothing more than niche ideas that have much better answers already served up in another way.

Why 45 GAP when you can have a 40 S&W in a smaller size with more capacity? Why 45 GAP when you can have a full power 45acp which is not that much harder to handle?

Top Bottom