Is the group more important than the individual?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is the group more important than the individual?

• Total voters

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Universal health

The rights of the individual are not important.

Aids has killed more than any other global pandemic and you are not even allowed to know if the kid sharing crayons with your toddler, in daycare, has it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Universal health

The rights of the individual are not important.

Aids has killed more than any other global pandemic and you are not even allowed to know if the kid sharing crayons with your toddler, in daycare, has it.
    See this is one of those posts where it’s hard to know if you’re being sarcastic. Aids has killed more people than any pandemic? Really?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A right to assemble would be hard to exercise without more than 1 person.

I think many of our rights encompass both the individual and a group.
    You have an individual right to assemble. The assembly is a group. But the right is individual for the individuals to exercise. The right is not absolute either. You don’t have a right to associate to conspire to commit crimes against the state.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ATM agaain

I know that is tongue in cheek, because I know that you know that Gubmint has no Rights, and in this case only usurped authority.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    DEVIL'S advocate, much?

Some just enjoy a good argument.

Not really. I'm not trying to be devil's advocate, but I do like to admit the things that are true and false about ideas on both sides of an issue. I'm an advocate for believing what I think is true. The truth is rarely just on one side of an argument.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What about assemblies who conspire to commit crimes against the people, like congress?

Is that a group right?

No. Well. Maybe. I think I quipped earlier, something to the effect that another way of saying "group rights" is "authority". That's not always necessarily true, but it seems true enough to apply to congress. They have the authority and they often abuse that authority. But because we have sides who only give a **** about authority when the other side has the power, nothing gets done to curb it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    You have an individual right to assemble. The assembly is a group. But the right is individual for the individuals to exercise. The right is not absolute either. You don’t have a right to associate to conspire to commit crimes against the state.

The concept of it not pertaining to the group is likely the loophole they're using to shut down protesting currently.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How YOU should answer, since you feel that way.

The freedom to do as we see fit to amend or subtract from the group we wish to be successful is not an individual choice usually. Personally, I'd happily shoot thieves and murderers and those too lazy to work. How do you think that works out for society. Wouldn't most of us be better off without those transgressors in our midst? I don't find gang bangers and drug dealers to be acceptable parts of the "American Way of Life" but they're still in it. Don't want them to be successful.
    I like you more all the time;)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Bacon.

Under what circumstances?

If we are solely talking about lifting present restrictions, then yes, the group is more important than the individual. The individual who is a higher risk should be responsible for their own precautions.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Emotions are not justification.

Agree, but how many times have we heard the mantra "if it saves but one child"? Yes a purely emotional response meant to control the masses, yet so many times that "one" wins over many in a country that is supposed to be majority rule.

Top Bottom