Is Therapy Causing a Depression Epidemic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No. As someone who benefitted from in person therapy for my anxiety and depression, just no. It wasn't just "talk about your feelings".
    Just because some people have actual issues with depression, does not mean everyone does.

I've seen both examples. The worse effect of it is medicating people that really don't need it, especially youth. Those drugs can actually cause the issues they are supposedly prescribed to combat.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Now 67, over my life it's been good to have friends just to talk to, or listen to. I don't think all of life's issues require a professional opinion or meds, but there are likely some that do. I've just never experienced them.

A close friend of many years referred to this as beer and a sandwich therapy. Probably not accepted by professionals or big pharma though.;)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Everyone is different. There is no one-size-fits all panacea. Medication and counseling worked for my mom, did not work for me. What worked for me was re-kindling my relationship with Jesus and getting more involved in communities I love (INGO included). YMMV
    The bolded part is the real answer. People are looking for something tobe angry at, or a cause of something. Therapy doesn't CAUSE anything.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Just because some people have actual issues with depression, does not mean everyone does.

I've seen both examples. The worse effect of it is medicating people that really don't need it, especially youth. Those drugs can actually cause the issues they are supposedly prescribed to combat.
    therapy /= medicating. Two different things here. Therapists cannot prescribe drugs. You need a medical doctor to do that. A therapist CAN be a good thing to those wanting to figure a way to work through their issues. Some people it is not a good thing. As always, there's no one size fits all solution.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Therapy?...Mental issues?...

Being a man is eating emotions, feelings, depressions and just doing what needs done without waivering. Stuff that $hit down and move the F on.

Now it's all about feelings and emotions. Talk to that "mental professional" that will give your info to the gov't when they want to take your rights away and red flag you.

Man up. Who did your dad talk to? Who did your grand dad talk to? They were men. They had their thoughts and did what they knew was right.

Tuck that sack back and cry on the shoulder of a stranger and see where it gets you...

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Therapy?...Mental issues?...

Being a man is eating emotions, feelings, depressions and just doing what needs done without waivering. Stuff that $hit down and move the F on.

Now it's all about feelings and emotions. Talk to that "mental professional" that will give your info to the gov't when they want to take your rights away and red flag you.

Man up. Who did your dad talk to? Who did your grand dad talk to? They were men. They had their thoughts and did what they knew was right.

Tuck that sack back and cry on the shoulder of a stranger and see where it gets you...
    Attitudes like this are something I've had to fight for over a decade. Thanks for being an "helpful".

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think the problem today is that there are too many "labels" .
    Everyone has to be assigned and fit in their designated category , and if you don`t , you better go ask why ........

Not enough of being thankful for who you are and what you have ,
    Believe me I wish it was that easy. But hey, apparently I'm not a man according to you people.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Men have become weak and incapable of being men.
    Therapy reinforces the idea of being "in touch with your feelings".
    Wipe your vagina and pull up your panties.
    It's a nice thought and I wish we all could do it that easily. I've never been diagnosed with depression and I'm generally pretty upbeat. I find smiling at everyone helps me as much as most of them. Some folks, you can't even smile at and get a good reaction. But most respond positively.
    Truly, problems do exist that require help. Much whining is, however, just a plea for attention. For many the art of "Man-ing up" was never taught.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    It's a nice thought and I wish we all could do it that easily. I've never been diagnosed with depression and I'm generally pretty upbeat. I find smiling at everyone helps me as much as most of them. Some folks, you can't even smile at and get a good reaction. But most respond positively.
    Truly, problems do exist that require help. Much whining is, however, just a plea for attention. For many the art of "Man-ing up" was never taught.
    Oh no, there are no problems. Anyone that thinks they might need help are just not men and should, apparently, just die already to make room for the "real men."

Lpherr

Occupied
    Every single adult has experienced depression. It's a part of life and your specific environment can compound it.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Every single adult has experienced depression. It's a part of life and your specific environment can compound it.
    Clinical depression /= depressed emotions. Clinical depression is a long term physical imbalance of the chemicals in your brain. Yes, some environmental conditions can cause it to become a more severe issue over others.

I think many of you are confusing feeling depressed/sad as being the same as clinical depression. Or you don't care and think that anyone dealing with it is a ***** and needs to sack up. Either way you're wrong and one way you're an ass.

Top Bottom