Is Therapy Causing a Depression Epidemic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I think the problem today is that there are too many "labels" .
    Everyone has to be assigned and fit in their designated category , and if you don`t , you better go ask why ........

Not enough of being thankful for who you are and what you have ,
    I don't know about the "labels" part but for me personally the last line says it all. When I think about where I am in life and how many haven't had the opportunities I have been blessed with it helps me keep things in perspective.
    Bobzilla, if you feel like you were helped more power to you brother. Each of us is a unique creature an the "different strokes for different for different folks" old saw definition fits IMHO. Find what works for you and run with it.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I don't know about the "labels" part but for me personally the last line says it all. When I think about where I am in life and how many haven't had the opportunities I have been blessed with it helps me keep things in perspective.
    Bobzilla, if you feel like you were helped more power to you brother. Each of us is a unique creature an the "different strokes for different for different folks" old saw definition fits IMHO. Find what works for you and run with it.
    I agree with this. Sadly, there are many posters in here that would rather just call you a ***** and to sack up. So... there's that. I guess ******** are everywhere.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You know, I have a very close family member that doesn't believe depression is a real thing. He's also likely been dealing with it unsuccessfully most of his life, considering it can easily be genetic. When I was diagnosed and started treating it, and I finally felt what "normal" people feel, he poo-poo'd it and rolls his eyes. "Men just need to deal with it". My question has always been "but why if there is a better alternative? Why suffer unnecessarily if you do not need to?"

There are many things I wish I could do that others can. Drive race cars at their limits and be fast. Sleep a full 6-7 hours a night. Eat whatever you want and not gain an ounce. But I'm not built like that and neither is my brain. Just because someone reaches out for help for something they cannot handle on their own does not make them weak, or any less of a man. It makes them human, shows humility and a willingness to learn and grow from others experience. If you (royal and specific to some of the ******* posters in here) want to be a closed minded, judgemental ***, there's nothing to stop you. Go forth and be the biggest piece of **** you can be. Just don't expect many people to want to be around you.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Clinical depression /= depressed emotions. Clinical depression is a long term physical imbalance of the chemicals in your brain. Yes, some environmental conditions can cause it to become a more severe issue over others.

I think many of you are confusing feeling depressed/sad as being the same as clinical depression. Or you don't care and think that anyone dealing with it is a ***** and needs to sack up. Either way you're wrong and one way you're an ass.
    It's referred to as major depressive disorder (MDD), and it is a chemical imbalance, that is treated by medication and not talking to a therapist. But you should already know that with your medical degree.
    Name calling is one way to prove that men are weak now days. It doesn't show superiority, or strength, but immaturity and not being able to control emotions.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    It's referred to as major depressive disorder (MDD), and it is a chemical imbalance, that is treated by medication and not talking to a therapist. But you should already know that with your medical degree.
    Name calling is one way to prove that men are weak now days. It doesn't show superiority, or strength, but immaturity and not being able to control emotions.
    Yes, calling people weak, unmanly etc is definitely not name calling in the least.

Therapy, or "talking to a therapist", can help those with Clinical depression (or MDD, it's called both) to gather the right tools to assist the meds in moderating the condition. IT doesn't always work, and it doesn't work for every person. But it does help people, and it helps arm them with the tools they need to have a successful and fulfilling life. Like everything else in life, "it's complicated" and takes a unique approach for every person that chooses to tackle it.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Yes, calling people weak, unmanly etc is definitely not name calling in the least.
    It isn't name calling; it's descriptive.

And it isn't because they have depression, but rather them being soft and incapable of doing what a man should do.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Every single adult has experienced depression. It's a part of life and your specific environment can compound it.
    Need to define terms. Otherwise we talk past each other and only think we know what we're saying. Depression -vs- sadness is difficult to rate as it is so subjective. People throw "I'm depressed" around awfully carelessly these days. You can be sad without being depressed.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Need to define terms. Otherwise we talk past each other and only think we know what we're saying. Depression -vs- sadness is difficult to rate as it is so subjective. People throw "I'm depressed" around awfully carelessly these days. You can be sad without being depressed.
    That's exactly why we have so many people on medications.
    Instead of proper diagnosis, people are prescribed medication for any ailment they go in with.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    No. As someone who benefitted from in person therapy for my anxiety and depression, just no. It wasn't just "talk about your feelings".
    I agree. My therapist was very manly, an avid hunter and shooter, probably much like a lot of people on INGO. He had issues himself and went through some dark times before starting his career. I actually sometimes just vented and cussed and we laughed about how messed up everything is.

Lpherr

Occupied
    No. It's childish and it's name calling as it has been used in this thread. No other way to see it Lpherr.
    No, it's being descriptive.
    Men don't want to be men anymore. They think it's easier to be gay, bi, trans, or whatever other terms they come up with. They can't handle pressure, and lack character. They have pronouns and want everything for nothing. That is weak in the very definition.
    Sorry, not sorry.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    It's almost like there's no revenue stream in telling parents their children are fine and they just need to take them home and do some parenting.
    Not all ........but a LOT fall into this category IMHO . But there is no money to be made by sending them home .
    $100`s of Billions spent yearly on the Mental Health war .

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Men have become weak and incapable of being men.
    Therapy reinforces the idea of being "in touch with your feelings".
    Wipe your vagina and pull up your panties.
    There's nothing wrong with being in touch with your feelings, as long as you know what to do with them and don't act like a whiney victim. There's real strength in that.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Men don't want to be men anymore. They think it's easier to be gay, bi, trans, or whatever other terms they come up with. They can't handle pressure, and lack character. They have pronouns and want everything for nothing. That is weak in the very definition.
    Sorry, not sorry.
    why are you speaking for all men? The men i hang around aren't alphabet people with pronouns. I hate that crap as much as you. Maybe you hang around with the wrong men?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    it's also pretty offensive, IMO.
    Don't bother. Anyone that doesn't just sack up is apparently not a man. I read it on ingo so it must be true. I guess I'm not a man. I'll have to tell the wife. Does that mean I have to sell my guns, race cars, tools and side business, grow a man bun and vote dem now? I really don't know these rules.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Sorry, not sorry.
    So that's who I am? I didn't know I had pronouns, hadn't worked my ass off to have no bills, an early retirement and a retirement house in florida. Didn't know I couldn't handle any pressure or lacked character either. Thanks. I guess I needed to be told who I was by some unknown keyboard warrior that has never met me.

Top Bottom