• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I've watched quite a few of Shapiro's speeches and many episodes of his podcast via YouTube. While I agree with many things that he says, I don't agree with it all. But, I admire the way he argues and his obvious high level of preparation. I like to hear both sides of an issue. This is what lead me to wonder: Is there someone on the other side who also uses logical, fact-based arguments and takes preparation to the same professional level?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    not possible. The left does not argue what it believes. It is always a moving target and they dance around it without ever saying it. That makes them use absurd logic and false equivalencies. When they are called on it they insult you and change the subject or reflect it back on you.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Leftists don't use logical, fact-based arguments. If they had the capability for thinking logically and critically, they wouldn't be leftists.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    While I definitely understand the idea that most of those on here will not likely see the logic in the notions of the left, there must be someone who prepares for counter-arguments to leftist ideas. That's one the most effective tools in Shapiro's bag. I came upon Shapiro indirectly while looking at gun videos. The only leftist videos I can think of are of opinionated mass media "reporters" disguised as "unbiased."

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll try to give some actual examples, but Shapiro is very unique. None of these are going to match his style, necessarily. There are also some in this list that used to be liberal, and have since drifted more Right in the past two years.

David Pakman
    Christina Hoff Sommers
    Carl Benjamin
    Sam Harris
    Dave Rubin
    Noam Chomsky
    Brett Weinstein

Two years ago, most of these would be considered "leftists". Today, some of them are referred to as "alt-right" by simple minds. They all have quite liberal stances, but are very reasonable and eloquent, and capable of seeing both sides of issues.

You may not be satisfied with this list since Shapiro is often grouped together with them these days. I'd say they're trying to reclaim what Liberalism is, take it back from the far-left.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    He's not the intellectual that Shapiro is, but I think Bill Maher does a pretty good job of representing the political left in an articulate and entertaining way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Finding a leftist Ben Shapiro would be difficult. Anyone who is smart enough to be Ben Shapiro is too smart to be a leftist.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Yeah, Maher actually makes points I agree with...sometimes. I would love to see Shapiro and Peterson debate. I don't care if it's only about how to boil water or the airspeed velocities of laden African Swallows vs European. It would be great to see because they are both that damn good.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yeah, Maher actually makes points I agree with...sometimes. I would love to see Shapiro and Peterson debate. I don't care if it's only about how to boil water or the airspeed velocities of laden African Swallows vs European. It would be great to see because they are both that damn good.

Are you referring to Jordan Peterson? If so there are lots of videos of conversations with him and Ben Shapiro. I don't know that they would be considered debate, but they don't always agree on issues.

[video=youtube_share;WT0mbNvaT6Y]http://youtu.be/WT0mbNvaT6Y[/video]

[video=youtube_share;PagNM_oxssE]http://youtu.be/PagNM_oxssE[/video]

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Are you referring to Jordan Peterson? If so there are lots of videos of conversations with him and Ben Shapiro. I don't know that they would be considered debate, but they don't always agree on issues.

[video=youtube_share;WT0mbNvaT6Y]http://youtu.be/WT0mbNvaT6Y[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;PagNM_oxssE]http://youtu.be/PagNM_oxssE[/video]

No not debates but wonderful discussions for which I thank you for posting.

Edit: Halfway through the Shapiro/Peterson convo and I am fascinated. The breadth and depth of Peterson's knowledge is superb and it is on prime display here. Cannot recommend enough.

Last edited:

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I have seen a couple episodes of the Rubin Report. I was shocked to see that it had begun as part of The Young Turks. Perhaps that surprise came from the fact that Rubin seemed to be okay with "conservative" ideas, especially during the discussion with Colion Noir. The little I've seen of Jordan Peterson, I would've put him more in the conservative camp. I'll have to check some of the people GPIA7R recommended. Maher is fairly intelligent, and I have seen him make some very good arguments. But, the fact that he is an entertainer, gives me pause. I might see what I can find.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    It's difficult to find anyone on the left that is as sharp as Shapiro. I haven't seen near as much of his content as I would like, but I do know that if I were on the left, I would not want to debate with him simply because of how quick he is. The Politico debate between Shapiro and Cenk Uygar (of The Young Turks), is a great example of this. Uygar is supposed to be the Liberal version of Shapiro, but Shapiro really just gets Uygar to show who he really is, and to show how illogical it is to think the way that Uygar does.

I would like to hear a logical argument from a Liberal. I would be open to that, I just haven't found anyone yet that can do that.

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    While I've heard of him, I never really sat and listened to Shapiro. Well, now I have. I'm a HUGE fan of Jordan Peterson (thanks to my 17yr old son who turned me onto him) and found this interview with Peterson AND Shapiro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRP...J1YUl0Ik8BkpmaJdxGJDBzUgM lD32sQnhZVQGYSmfXY Well worth the time to listen/watch. I think Shapiro found a new fan.

This interview is like the Rocky 2 to the Cathy Newman debate..."Let's have Jordan go up against a really SMART feminist and see how he does..."

He did good...the only time I've seen him almost lose his temper..Complete and some highlights...

[video=youtube;yZYQpge1W5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZYQpge1W5s&t=2251s[/video]

[video=youtube;6_aAxIA55D0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_aAxIA55D0[/video]

[video=youtube;mkxiSzdQ7C8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkxiSzdQ7C8&t=1340s[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It's difficult to find anyone on the left that is as sharp as Shapiro. I haven't seen near as much of his content as I would like, but I do know that if I were on the left, I would not want to debate with him simply because of how quick he is. The Politico debate between Shapiro and Cenk Uygar (of The Young Turks), is a great example of this. Uygar is supposed to be the Liberal version of Shapiro, but Shapiro really just gets Uygar to show who he really is, and to show how illogical it is to think the way that Uygar does.

I would like to hear a logical argument from a Liberal. I would be open to that, I just haven't found anyone yet that can do that.

Here is an interesting video breaking down some of the techniques Ben Shapiro uses that makes him such a good debater.

[video=youtube_share;JY5t6iUzajk]http://youtu.be/JY5t6iUzajk[/video]
    JY5t6iUzajk

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

In terms of ability to debate, Cenk Uygar rises to the level of "pitiful" on a scale that can contain Ben Shapiro. With regard to the subject matter mastery, if Ben Shapiro could be represented by swimming pool, it would be generous to compare Cenk's to a thimble. In terms of base level intelligence, Cenk doesn't budge the needle.

They can both be irritating, but Cenk is the hands-down winner in the competition to irritate people. His penchant for condescension is amazing, as is his ability to wield clumsy, humorless, intentionally disrespectful sarcasm. Cenk also wins easily in the arena of intellectual dishonesty, an art form he has clearly mastered and applies nearly every time he speaks or writes. When he's not being intellectually dishonest, he is just lying. So he beats Shapiro in the dishonesty Olympics by forfeit.

Top Bottom