• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is there an advantage to carrying a weaponlight attached to your EDC gun?
    I know you'd have to have a holster made for your gun AND light. And I know its smart to also have another light in your pocket, which I do.

I was just curious if it's worth carrying a weaponlight on your gun with you, instead of having to take the light on and off at home.

Would there be any disadvantage? is it even smart to carry a mounted weapon light?

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Weapon-mounted lights make it soooooo much easier to shoot while using a light to illuminate your target. Unlike most techniques to use a hand held light in conjunction with a handgun, you can maintain a standard two-handed grip and you don't usually have to change your grip in order to activate the light.

Two of the main disadvantages of a weapon-mounted light on your EDC pistol are that it adds size and weight. Many gun owners are too lazy to carry a decent sized fighting pistol every day anyway, so if you make it even larger and heavier, that makes it even more difficult. As you wrote, holster selection/availability will be limited.

I don't know if it is a true disadvantage because it really is a training issue, but you cannot safely use a light attached to a gun as you would a normal flashlight. You point your gun at everything you point your light at. This is a clear violation of one of the 4 cardinal firearm safety rules. But as I wrote, training can reduce this issue to a large extent.

One straw man "disadvantage" I've seen people state is that a weapon-mounted light places the light in front of the shooter and when activated will become a magnet for rounds being shot at him/her. While it is a concern, it isn't unique to just having a light attached to the gun. All but one (the FBI technique) of the 5 most common hand-held light/shooting holds place the light in relatively the exact same location as if you attached it to the gun. This is also another issue that can be addressed in training with proper light use and low light tactics.

Regardless of whether you carry a hand-held or weapon-mounted light for use in defensive shooting, you should seek out quality training.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Weapon-mounted lights make it soooooo much easier to shoot while using a light to illuminate your target. Unlike most techniques to use a hand held light in conjunction with a handgun, you can maintain a standard two-handed grip and you don't usually have to change your grip in order to activate the light.

Two of the main disadvantages of a weapon-mounted light on your EDC pistol are that it adds size and weight. Many gun owners are too lazy to carry a decent sized fighting pistol every day anyway, so if you make it even larger and heavier, that makes it even more difficult. As you wrote, holster selection/availability will be limited.

I don't know if it is a true disadvantage because it really is a training issue, but you cannot safely use a light attached to a gun as you would a normal flashlight. You point your gun at everything you point your light at. This is a clear violation of one of the 4 cardinal firearm safety rules. But as I wrote, training can reduce this issue to a large extent.

One straw man "disadvantage" I've seen people state is that a weapon-mounted light places the light in front of the shooter and when activated will become a magnet for rounds being shot at him/her. While it is a concern, it isn't unique to just having a light attached to the gun. All but one (the FBI technique) of the 5 most common hand-held light/shooting holds place the light in relatively the exact same location as if you attached it to the gun. This is also another issue that can be addressed in training with proper light use and low light tactics.

Regardless of whether you carry a hand-held or weapon-mounted light for use in defensive shooting, you should seek out quality training.

^^ Yeah, what they said.... ^^

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Many times a weapon mounted light can use the spill from the light to illuminate your path or find something while not pointing the light at everything directly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What the other guys said.

If you don't mind the additional bulk, it can only help you. You might need some extra practice drawing and reholstering with the light (especially the latter).

Having it can help. If you don't need it or don't want to use it for any given situation, you don't have to use it.

Is there an advantage to carrying a weaponlight attached to your EDC gun?
    I know you'd have to have a holster made for your gun AND light. And I know its smart to also have another light in your pocket, which I do.

I was just curious if it's worth carrying a weaponlight on your gun with you, instead of having to take the light on and off at home.

Would there be any disadvantage? is it even smart to carry a mounted weapon light?

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    The only thing I hate about weapon lights is that dang batteries. Those cr123a's are a pain to get a hold of, you have to order them in bulk unless you want to pay out the but for them....

Now insight has come out with AA powered taclights! I am thinkin of selling my m3x and m6 lights to switch to them.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    if your BG is armed, intent on harming, and has any common sense....your light only gives your position away....which knowing where the enemy is and him not knowing where you are is a huge tactical advantage to which movements can be planned around....if you must add a light I highly suggest you take a tactical handgun course which includes dark house clearing

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    a weapon mount also frees a hand up to manipulate doors and such

if trained, there are pretty much no downsides to having one. would still carry a second light (handheld) and use it a lot to clear buildings.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The next time I see Louis Awerbuck, or John Farnam, or (insert name of well respected trainer here), I'm going to let them know that they should chuck their flashlights since the only thing it can do for them is give their position away.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I carry with a weapon mounted light and don't find the additional "bulk" as any sort of hindrance, they don't weigh that much to begin with. the re holstering took a little practice though. all in all I find the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Another reason I carry both (gun mounted and belt mounted) is so I do not need to illuminate my CC Badge with my gun mounted light - that would be bad muzzling.

Gun mounted lights go TU and having an extra light is just smart.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    For my EDC handgun i dont use a weapon mounted light. i carry a 200 lumen pocket flashlight. for my HD handgun i have a streamlight TLR2 laser/light combo. the only reason i dont like a weapon mounted flashlight on my EDC is to not add bulk and make it easier to conceal. plus my 1911 doesnt have a rail on it, but my springfield xd does and still dont use it. if you dont mind the bulk and switching holsters then go for it. at least carry a handheld flashlight

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Another reason I carry both (gun mounted and belt mounted) is so I do not need to illuminate my CC Badge with my gun mounted light - that would be bad muzzling.

Gun mounted lights go TU and having an extra light is just smart.

I....think you're joking. :dunno:

Besides just the weight, I think it makes it much harder to CC, as it obviously adds bulk to any package.

....yeah, I said it. Adds bulk to any package.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    a TLR 1 only weighs 4 .oz's so the added weight being too much shouldn't really be a valid argument. if it is for you then you need to HTFU.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I just bought a TLR-3 for my M&P9c, and I'm hoping to get a holster for the both of them next month.

I'm going to try carrying it like that. And I do plan on getting some training for the light.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Low light training is some of the most fun training...

It plays with your senses. Things look very different tahn in broad light. There's also moving shadows.

Take a class and then find a range that will let you shoot past dusk. Also can practice at the house. So that it is not a familiar building (and just you going off memory), find someone you know who has a facility that you can go into safely after hours and practice.

Last edited:

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    cr123's are easy to find. I grab a pair every time I'm at Lowe's (5.99 I believe).

My cc gun is a full size 45 with a weaponlight in an RCS holster. I don't have issues with it, but that is mainly because of my size and the RCS holster. If you're going to carry a full size pistol and/or a weaponlight I highly recommend the RCS holsters. It does not print like a brick, holds the weapon flat to the body, and can be worn IWB with a change in attachments. This is also the night stand gun. After carrying this way for a few years, and having done some low light training with EAG, I can't imagine carrying a pistol without a weapon light.

With that said, I also carry a E2DL in my pocket. :) There is also an extra handheld light in the safe with the other pistols.

A recommendation I would make for someone that is starting to carry a pistol with a weapon light is to practice turning on the light EVERYTIME YOU DRAW AND PRESENT THE PISTOL. Dryfire, plinking at high noon, afternoon steel match, etc...if the light is on your pistol you should make a habit of using it all the time. This took a while for me, but is now very comfortable and automatic.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom