• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've not had extensive training but the two advantages I have not seen mentioned are:

(will the wiser contributers please correct my logic)

--A weapon light that extends slightly beyond the end of the barrel might possibly allow the gun to cycle in ultra close HTH fighting. If the light happens to be pushed against the BG and you shoot it MAY increase you likelihood that the pistol slide did not get pushed back a little. As you know if the slide is pushed back a little the gun will not fire.

--If you practice with your weapons light you can almost use it as a red dot scope or laser pointer. I have a Tlr3 with strobe that has a bright inner circle and less bright wider circle. By knowing the POI in relation to the bright inner circle I pretty much know where my rounds are going to hit without having to look down my sight picture in the night. This allows for easier "both eyes open" evaluation of the situation IMO.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    --If you practice with your weapons light you can almost use it as a red dot scope or laser pointer. I have a Tlr3 with strobe that has a bright inner circle and less bright wider circle. By knowing the POI in relation to the bright inner circle I pretty much know where my rounds are going to hit without having to look down my sight picture in the night. This allows for easier "both eyes open" evaluation of the situation IMO.

Use your sights. Use your sights. Learn to use your sights.

A general area created by your light isn't the same as actually aiming. As good guys we don't get to shoot "at" bad guys. Our shots need to be hits. The best way to make that happen is to use the sights on your gun.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Amen on the use the sights. Sights are the best policy.

My carry gun is also the night stand gun. It has a light attached and I bought a holster so I can carry it that way whenever I carry. This frees me of the concern of having to remember to take a flashlight with me when head out a noon and plan be back before dark, but don't make it.

As I have said previously in this thread, the spill can be used for some lighting purposes in a pinch. Or I can remove the light from the pistol in 5 seconds or less and use the light as a normal light. I like the versatility of a weapons mounted light.

Best case is in low light I can maintain a two hand grip for the shooting. If it is important enough to shoot I want all the advantage I can get. All this stuff about a weapons mounted light giving away your position is a bit overblown.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Coach,

What is your EDC and what holster do you have?

Matt

Smith and Wesson M & P in 9mm. Holster is a blade tech OWB holster. I don't worry about concealment often, and when I do Ray Charles could see the bulge. I should have gone to the light on the gun much sooner.

Top Bottom