• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    I find most .410s fit squarely in the fun category. The only thing about them that isn't fun is the cost of shells!

Just make sure to use smaller than average shot sizes, and try not to over-choke the gun. For some reason most .410s made were full choke, but they really perform much better with MOD or IC. Something like 9-shot out of a MOD will break clays inside of 30 yards all day long.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Some interesting ideas. I have the Shockwave in 12 ga, I guess I could get a .410 Shockwave as a trainer. ;)

Stoeger coach gun looks interesting also.

I can't think of a single rational reason to have a Rowdy derringer shotgun but it does look like fun. And it's made right here in Texas, about 4 hrs away!
    What about the henry axe???

but before you go falling in love sell the ammo because after it is gone it is hard to find and expensive lol
    1698589011662.jpeg
    Hmmmmmm...:naughty:

First I am going to break out Dad's .410 and have a looksee.

I didn't realize .410 ammo was scarce. I got a bag of ... dunno, about 100, 150? metallic part a little dark on some of the cartridges, they sat around in a storage unit for years, I might not try to feed those through a lever- or semi-auto action.

Thanks for the ideas, keep those cards and letters coming!

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I got my first squirrel with an Ithaca M66 single shot .410 shotgun. My dad still has that .410 and hopefully I will get it one day and pass it on to my grand kids. .410 is hard to find on the shelves, so when I find it, I typically grab a box.
    I have my uncle’s .410 M66 that my grandpa bought him new from Ludco around the time I was born. It pairs well with my 12ga buck buster.

I think .410 is fun. I most often appreciate accurate and precision shooting, rather than mag-dumps & such, so the .410 taught me things using a 12/20 didn’t as well.

So although I wouldn’t call myself a collector of them, I always consider any .410 I come across. Thankfully they (and ammo) usually carry a premium so its an easy decision when you’re broke

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Oh, yes they are fun! Years back I showed up at a state dove hunt with my Labrador retriever bird dog and a .410 over/under. Got random pairing at a stake and other shooter already there when we arrived. Uncased the .410 and he says, “What’s that?” Told him and he chuckled and said you can’t hunt doves with a .410. One hour later I was packing up to leave, he smiles and says, “What’s wiring, out of shells?” I said nope, limited out see ya. Those were during my competitive sporting clays days and my dog did not loose a bird.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I love .410. I shot 1500 rds this year so far. I reload. And shot clay targets alot. 410 is the cheapest shot shell to reload. By far.

.410 from the 16 yard line really steps up your trap game.
    And is easy on the shoulder too.

What is your budget.

Low end would be a cz sharptail sxs or a Bristol sxs.
    There is some 410 o/u that are about $800 new.

Best money spent would be a browning citori 410. Cheapest gun that will last generations with being shot alot.

$800 to $120,000 can be spent on a new 410. Shotgun

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I love .410. I shot 1500 rds this year so far. I reload. And shot clay targets alot. 410 is the cheapest shot shell to reload. By far.

Now you have my attention. Along with all of the posts above about .410 ammo being expensive.

Hmmm, I just might have some odd components laying around to load .410. Hmmm...

:scratch:

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I can't think of a single rational reason to have a Rowdy derringer shotgun but it does look like fun. And it's made right here in Texas, about 4 hrs away!
    Ponder this...
    You're on a river cruise playing poker with some other gentlemen. You're luck is running high and you're up quite a lot of chips, from the other players. One of them, that's had one too many burbons, starts getting irritated over his substantial losses. You carry on with some good natured banter about how his luck may change. He gets even more upset and then hurles the worst insult known up and down the river.
    He calls you "a cheat"! Your hackles are up but you keep a cool head and try to defuse the situation. He's too far gone and stands up from the table, pulling out his 12" Bowie knife. The other players push back from the table and are dumbfounded.
    You maintain your cool, knowing that your Rowdy .410 is close at hand. The loser says he's going to slice you like a country ham. It's at that point you bring your trusty Rowdy into the mix, pointed square on at his chest. Upon seeing the little hand cannon, he sobers up a bit and makes an excuse for leaving the room. He realizes it's just not his lucky day and you don't see him again until he disembarks.
    Your Rowdy .410 faithfully served you well that day on the river. You take some of your winnings and stock up on more .410 shells.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ponder this...
    I’d probably just dump the table and pull my own knife.;) And my Colt snubby.

While looking at the Rowdy, I noticed the same guys have a “bull pup” 9 mm which looks like a very slick little pocket pistol.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    oh this brings back a lot of childhood memories. I brought home many rabbits with my single shot break top H&R .410. Later on ended up with a bolt action .410 that is my varmint gun now. I also enjoy my Judge. I like to load 45 LC in every other chamber when firing it. lol
    I still have mine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My first "real" gun was a bolt action Mossberg .410. I miss that little gun. I've come close to picking up another at gun shows several times but never did. Great little squirrel gun.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have several, and I would consider any .410 shot out of a long-barrel arm to be fun. Handguns, not so much. I "used to have" one of the Thompson Contender barrels in .410, but even with that large handgun and rubber-back grips, it wasn't fun to shoot more than about one round of skeet with it. I don't think my scores ever got out of single digits, when shooting all 8 stations as intended.

The fun-est for me is my Browning Reproduction Model 42. Connecting solidly with a dove through that light, handy full-choke gun paints a picture in the air that is beauty to the eyes.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I hadn’t looked at dad’s .410 in awhile (years?!) so I pulled it out and looked at it this afternoon (no shooting just yet).

After internetin’ around, I believe it is a Harrington and Richard Model 1915, branded as an “HSB&Co” “Cruso” and “Chicago.”That is inscribed on the left side along with an image of a rooster.

Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Company, 1855-1962, was a major hardware enterprise in Chicago. The True Value Company, as in True Value hardware, is a brand created by HSB&C and later established as a separate company when HSB&Co folded in 1962.

Anyway, during HSB&Co’s heyday it was common for hardware stores and others to sell firearms made by real gun companies under the retailer’s name. There are bunches of H&R forearms out their under different brands, and it looks like mine is the H&R Model 1915 in “410-44 CAL”. The 44 doesn’t refer to the long colt, it apparently was a 44 caliber shot shell that was still common at the time. The butt plate looks like has an H&R logo on it, but it’s a bit difficult to see because of some damage (look like someone slammed the butt down on something a couple times). There were thousands these type (that is, inexpensive, simple, reliable) shotguns made by different manufacturers and sold by different retailers.

My father was a farmer from when he dropped out of high school in about 1934 until 07 Dec 1941, when he signed up to be an airplane mechanic and never went back to farming. He told me he carried this shotgun on the tractor and around the barn. He farmed in the area of Galesburg, IL.

(Unrelated historic trivia: my great-grand-somethings once owned the house that Carl Sandburg was born in and grew up in. Most of you are probably not old enough to know who Carl Sandburg was.) (Sorry, I love random historical tie-ins.)

It is in surprisingly good shape for having that kind of background. (“It” being the shotgun I mean, not Carl Sandburg’s house. But I think the house is in pretty good shape too, since it was turned into a museum in the 1960s. But I digress.) Aside from the damage on the butt plate, there are numerous small dents in the wood, but nothing major and no cracks. The wood finish is still pretty nice. The barrel bluing is clear and even. I think the receiver and trigger guard was originally case-hardened, now has a mostly gray patina. I don’t see that it ever had any rust on it.

It has a clever ability to take down into three pieces. The small forestock levers down and back and pops off, then you can open the action and take the barrel off the hinge at the front of the receiver, and bingo! You’re done.

p.s. 26” barrel. At least measured end to end. I always forget, whether you measure from the muzzle to the throat end of the chamber, or to the breech end of the chamber.

here’s a couple pictures of it:
    C5AB594C-C2E3-4B0C-B63A-D3C5BD43A778.jpeg

00477680-F8C1-4758-BAA0-B131CD7B8601.jpeg

DB8D875E-186F-4350-8696-EF9C047842E8.jpeg

2871271D-C9FB-4745-9558-2908EA3FDA81.jpeg

7F6E25D4-064A-4E8F-B2B5-DDD9EDE256CC.jpeg

This is a vid of a guy taking down his grandad’s copy of the same gun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom