• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I find it interesting that the “HSB&Co” “Cruso” is a .410/.44 …
    Just to be clear:

At least, according to my research so far, the 44 in “410 - 44” on the HSB&Co is NOT a referring to the actual pistol cartridges. It refers to a .44 XL cartridge shotshell that did use .44-40 Winchester brass, but was loaded with a paper sabot containing shot. Originally black powder, then semi-smokeless and smokeless powder. Different color sabots indicate the kind of powder used.

Based on its ammo marking it looks like dad’s .410 was manufactured between 1916 and 1921, so just over 100 years ago. I think I might not be trying any modern .410 shells in it either.

Which means I’m just gonna have to buy a modern .410. Oh shucks.:cool:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Didn’t Winchester made their model 94 lever gun in .410 for a brief time? I bet those are fun
    Yep My brother has one and it sure is fun to shoot. Well, when you can find ammo to feed it

Edit- I never really gave owning a .410 any thought. But, this thread has me thinking about it. Just not sure what I would really use it for

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I recently rescued a homeless quantity of .410 shot shells. I have a single shot 410 shotgun that my father used pre-World War II as his farm varmint dispenser. I’ve never fired it, so maybe the Great Armorer in the Sky is speaking to me here, but I also wonder if there’s a modern .410 shotgun that is interesting.

Any suggestions? I haven’t started googling yet, but is there such a thing as a side-by-side .410?

Oh, I just remembered “the judge” and all its spawn. Is there anything else that seems slightly less ridiculous?
    Henry's lever action.

TFB_HENRY_H024-410_40-920x690.jpg

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Yep My brother has one and it sure is fun to shoot. Well, when you can find ammo to feed it

Edit- I never really gave owning a .410 any thought. But, this thread has me thinking about it. Just not sure what I would really use it for
    I have a 9410 with choke tubes. Got some terrified looks when I walked up to the 16 yard line at the trap range! It was hilarious.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I did all my hunting as a kid with a Noble Arms .410 SBS. Spanish made, they were solid inexpensive doubles.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I hadn’t looked at dad’s .410 in awhile (years?!) so I pulled it out and looked at it this afternoon (no shooting just yet).

After internetin’ around, I believe it is a Harrington and Richard Model 1915, branded as an “HSB&Co” “Cruso” and “Chicago.”That is inscribed on the left side along with an image of a rooster.

Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Company, 1855-1962, was a major hardware enterprise in Chicago. The True Value Company, as in True Value hardware, is a brand created by HSB&C and later established as a separate company when HSB&Co folded in 1962.

Anyway, during HSB&Co’s heyday it was common for hardware stores and others to sell firearms made by real gun companies under the retailer’s name. There are bunches of H&R forearms out their under different brands, and it looks like mine is the H&R Model 1915 in “410-44 CAL”. The 44 doesn’t refer to the long colt, it apparently was a 44 caliber shot shell that was still common at the time. The butt plate looks like has an H&R logo on it, but it’s a bit difficult to see because of some damage (look like someone slammed the butt down on something a couple times). There were thousands these type (that is, inexpensive, simple, reliable) shotguns made by different manufacturers and sold by different retailers.

My father was a farmer from when he dropped out of high school in about 1934 until 07 Dec 1941, when he signed up to be an airplane mechanic and never went back to farming. He told me he carried this shotgun on the tractor and around the barn. He farmed in the area of Galesburg, IL.

(Unrelated historic trivia: my great-grand-somethings once owned the house that Carl Sandburg was born in and grew up in. Most of you are probably not old enough to know who Carl Sandburg was.) (Sorry, I love random historical tie-ins.)

It is in surprisingly good shape for having that kind of background. (“It” being the shotgun I mean, not Carl Sandburg’s house. But I think the house is in pretty good shape too, since it was turned into a museum in the 1960s. But I digress.) Aside from the damage on the butt plate, there are numerous small dents in the wood, but nothing major and no cracks. The wood finish is still pretty nice. The barrel bluing is clear and even. I think the receiver and trigger guard was originally case-hardened, now has a mostly gray patina. I don’t see that it ever had any rust on it.

It has a clever ability to take down into three pieces. The small forestock levers down and back and pops off, then you can open the action and take the barrel off the hinge at the front of the receiver, and bingo! You’re done.

p.s. 26” barrel. At least measured end to end. I always forget, whether you measure from the muzzle to the throat end of the chamber, or to the breech end of the chamber.

here’s a couple pictures of it:
    View attachment 308787

View attachment 308788

View attachment 308789

View attachment 308790

View attachment 308792

This is a vid of a guy taking down his grandad’s copy of the same gun.

And it looks identical to the H&R 88 Topper 410 from the '80's in my safe

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I recently rescued a homeless quantity of .410 shot shells. I have a single shot 410 shotgun that my father used pre-World War II as his farm varmint dispenser. I’ve never fired it, so maybe the Great Armorer in the Sky is speaking to me here, but I also wonder if there’s a modern .410 shotgun that is interesting.

Any suggestions? I haven’t started googling yet, but is there such a thing as a side-by-side .410?

Oh, I just remembered “the judge” and all its spawn. Is there anything else that seems slightly less ridiculous?
    My son in law , has an older Rossi .410 side by side, and I love that thing!! They're as rare as hens teeth, unless you know where to look.... I don't.....

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I grew up hunting with my dad's Savage .410/.22 over-under (model 24?). It was a great gun for squirrels and rabbits. Now I have the Circuit Judge carbine, which is fun to shoot with .45 Colt, but I have not even found .410 to shoot in it yet. I am interested in trying slugs in that one as a potential deer option. My brother-in-law has a Mossberg 500 pump action in .410. That is a sweet gun to shoot. I don't know if they still make those, but I'd love to have one of my own. And I salivate over those Henry lever actions, but they are out of my price range.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Top Bottom