• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't know anything about their laws regarding forest management. But I will just add that Cali isn't the only place on the west coast that constantly seems to be dealing with these fires. I have family in Oregon that have expressed concern for the number of wildfires there as well. But not so many deep pockets there so Oregon doesn't get the same media attention.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    There's a video that popped up yesterday of a dude who narrowly survived the fire, immediately went back to check on some people who were right behind him, and found them all dead in and around their cars. They dithered on evacuating and that's what happened to them. Pretty unbelievable.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Pacific Coast Highway looking north at Malibu present day.

woolsey-fire-malibu-PCH-2018.jpg

Thought it might be an altered image. Seems that it isn't.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...ugh-Oak-Park-in-Ventura-County-500117921.html

Greetings from sunny Cali.

"They have riots, fires and mudslides, they have sushi in the mall"-Jimmy Buffett, Fruitcakes, 1994

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Apocalypse? No, just another fire that happens because the envirowhakos won't let anyone do controlled burns. There are bigger fires in Alaska every year but no news is reported because no holywierd whacko's home are being burned down. You don't want to do what it takes to keep it from happening? Fine, burn.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    In some types of forest, fire is necessary for rebirth, and is healthy for regeneration. But when you mix that in with human populations and their houses, it doesn't always mix well. Even forests that need fire to regenerate can be managed by professionals trained on that ecosystem to mitigate the risks to humans and their houses, and at the same time, to make a few bucks and create jobs, in an eco-friendly manner. Some people would rather keep it totally natural, AND build their house in the middle of it. And then they reap what they sow. Mostly avoidable, but it's about the feelings, man!

[video=youtube_share;61MADnB314Q]https://youtu.be/61MADnB314Q[/video]

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Apocalypse? No, just another fire that happens because the envirowhakos won't let anyone do controlled burns. There are bigger fires in Alaska every year but no news is reported because no holywierd whacko's home are being burned down. You don't want to do what it takes to keep it from happening? Fine, burn.
    Is Alaska not allowed to do controlled burns either?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So some people say global warming, now called climate change, is caused by man.

Many of those same people claim no fault for the fires, it's just nature.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm sure that endangered little rodent appreciates those kind people giving up their homes and lives for them in a raging out of control apocalyptic inferno. I think the real endangered species in California are the rational logical thinking people.
    I don’t like to correct others but the correct word is extinct!

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I used to be stationed in Cali, that place is a fire zone like a yearly season it happens so often. I remember being at MCRD for bootcamp and there were fires raging all over the place, even when we went to Pendleton for our Marksmanship training. The fires didn't stop a thing. While shooting at the targets the hills were all on fire and covered with smoke, we had to wear gas mask when hiking to the range and working the pit but took them off to shoot. Over the years while stationed there it happened all over the place, its like tornado ally with firestorms. Hell most the time they wouldn't even evacuate the barracks and just have you chill as the flames roared around you. Big areas of concrete and permanent fire breaks may not be aesthetically pleasing or environmentally protective but got things done.

Honestly I got used to it to the point its like "no ****" when I see it on the news. This just in, a place that catches on fire all the time is on fire again! :rolleyes:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Speaking as a certified wildland firefighter and prescribed burn boss, this is what happens when:
    1. You extinguish all fires for the last 100 years to save property and allow fuel to build up
    2. You don't allow natural fire where fire is natural
    3. You build in a semi-desert area of high winds and dry fuels
    4. You live in a People's Republic where politicians who make the decisions don't have to deal with the consequences
    5. You can scapegoat your favorite bogeyman (not Trump this time) - global warming! Well, actually they are blaming him for that.

Top Bottom