DsA9q9WUcAEV7c3.jpg

So Aliens started all those fires? :tinfoil:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I used to live in Topanga Canyon, which is east of Malibu and as far as I can tell, east of (and not in) the fire line. I was there for a fire in November 1994 (IIRC) which started out being called the Topanga Canyon Fire (because it started at the north end of Old Topanga Canyon Rd), but when it move over to Malibu where more people, and more rich people, lived, it became the Malibu Fire, at least in the press.

The fire looked then just like what that picture in the OP. I remember standing on top of a ridge, I think it was on Santa Maria Rd or somewhere close by, looking at the next mountain ridge over, where the fire had just topped the ridge and was moving down the othe other side (towards us). A C-130 flew by us to drop fire retardant, and as it got closer to fire it got smaller and smaller and smaller...until it was a tiny dot against the miles long front of the fire, where it made its drop. The flame front and the smoke cloud were YUGE.

While hurling abuse at the green laws for (not) managing the brush, keep in mind the Air Quality Management District. They also have to approve controlled burns because of the affect on air quality, so most of the time the answer is "No." Not sure how a smaller controlled fire is worse for air quality than a big honkin' out of control one later, but there you go.

I also was there for the North Ridge Earthquake, and also when there was so much rain that Topanga Canyon Boulevard's northbound lane, from the center line over, collapsed in a mudslide into the canyon bottom several hundred feet below. Happily I was not driving by when it decided to go, but unhappily I had to add an extra hour+ to my commute because I couldn't go south to PCH and then to I-10 and 405, I had to go north to the Ventura Freeway, through LA, and then 10 and 405 down to El Segundo.

What was interesting about the fire and the quakes and such was that it got some of the lefty neighbors to realize that the gummint was not going to bail them out during disasters. Topanga Canyon had a lot of houses scattered in it, but nowhere near the density (or clout) of Malibu or Woodland Hills or even Pacific Palisades. When one of the neighbors, a very liberal college professor, talked to the Sheriff's department about what would happen during "The Big One," he was quite shocked to be told that the no one would even think about coming to check on Topanga Canyon for weeks, never mind help. So he started a neighborhood disaster prep club, ham radios, storing food, etc. He hadn't quite worked his way up to guns yet by the time I had to leave, but maybe? ( something-something- a liberal who's been mugged - something-something).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No it's not the apocalypse, but...

"And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are but the beginning of the birth pains."

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So....just use all of CA as a test and training range...why didn't we think of that? Geeze, people who believe this stuff...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I just returned from a short trip to San Francisco. The air quality right now is pretty bad. My trip to see Alcatraz was cancelled, and they even shut down the cable cars! Between the smoke, the people wearing gas masks, and the homeless laying around all over the place, it seemed like we had been dropped into a dystopian sci-fi movie.

I did enjoy riding the cable cars the first day we were there and touring some WWII ships, so it wasn't all a loss. Overall, it was all quite strange, and I still smell smoke every time I blow my nose.

The haze in these photos is from the smoke, not fog!

N0nPl0z.jpg

09t6XR4.jpg

ZzwuwWk.jpg

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    It is most unfortunate what has happened in California. I do lay a lot of blame for the loss of life and property at the feet of the idiot politicians and bureaucracy that run the state government. These idiots follow perverted priorities in allocating state resources across the board in California. They are more concerned with laws and allocating resources for recycling, electric cars, solar power sources, etc. rather than addressing problems with managing land in an effort to prevent or contain these fires. And, when the fires do come and threaten whole towns the state is woefully unprepared. Something has got to change in California government!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom