• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Once again the Ingo grammar police are out in full force. Hey, I got something to prove so I will bash this guy. One of my big dislikes internet gammar police. Ingo half completely freaking awesome, half a well enough said.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ok, first off... I'm sure a lot of the comments, and I know my comment, was directed at the story in the first place. There are all kinds of stories on INGO that revolve around LEO and citizen interactions, and while most of them are "unbelievable" they are still believable. This story is a case where I do not believe it, thus I commented, "Wow. Just, wow."

Now, if we're going to get to the heart of why THIS thread was started (which is clearly an attempt to "shame" other members) I would say that those who had a problem with his grammar, spelling and/or punctuation have just as much right to say it as he had to post his story. Also, please note, that the OP in that thread made sure to point out that he has been a Merrillville resident for 23 years. In 23 years even with a second language, I don't find it unreasonable at all to think someone should be able to form a complete thought that is easy to read and flows well. If he had been here two or three years, ok. At 23 years, that excuse is tired.

English is very hard to learn to speak let alone writing with good grammar. Spanish being a second language I'd say he did a pretty good job overall. Heck he is obviously reading so that will help a lot as far as his writing skills. I say plus one to the guy and hope he sticks around.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    The OP was fine to read. I wonder if the folks who had a problem with it should work in reading comprehension and worry about the grammar?

Hooked on phonics might help?

Some folks really need to relax

Jake

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I read that thread while I was at work tonight and I thought the same thing. The post was a little difficult to read but it was much easier to read than what many people call posts these days. Much worse, people actually made a post to belittle someone they do not know, and for a childish reason, why? Seriously dont post, every one that posts is a representative of this forum. Respond to posts just like you would in a real conversation with someone. It is possible to state opinions, ask questions, or challenge another persons statements without being an ass.

Last edited:

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I just read the referenced thread & had no issues with understanding or speed. We "one language" types are awesome @ making fun of "+ one language" types.

Ridicule was childish, but not unexpected from what I've read on these forums. Still enough good stuff, just ignore the trolls. :ar15:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    THIS thread is beginning to be ridiculous. How many people actually belittled him in that thread? There were only a few comments even made about the English. Again, the story didn't even ad up and any other person would have been called out on that too! It seems some of you are really trying to look like the saints here, and really you just need to get over it.

TkdGunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    New to these forums, but there was definitely a lot of unnecessary ad hominem attacks. I commend him for being able to read, speak, and type in multiple languages with a decent fluency, because heck I have problems with just English myself.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Actually the written form of any language is much more difficult to express oneself in than the spoken. Even many native-born Americans [STRIKE]would [/STRIKE]have a problem writing a coherent one-page essay worth a bucket of warm spit.

It's quite possible to be relatively fluent speaking a second language, and not be able to do much more than scribble a few lines. Often written forms have very formal syntax compared to the oral form.

In my own experience learning German, Russian, French and Danish, we didn't tackle formal writing until the third year. Although I was orally fluent, it was painful to compose extended essays, that would even approach native level.

Presumably El Guero hasn't taken formal instruction, but was simply learning 'on the job'. His writing wasn't fluent, but even with 23 years in the US, it wasn't that bad.

I'm guessing most of his critics: 1) have no 2nd language skills to speak of and 2) have never lived in another country and tried to communicate with the natives, in writing, in their own language.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm still just bewildered by this thread. A) There wasn't even that many comments making fun of his English. B) He didn't seem to have a problem with anything said, or he would have said it. C) The story, even when translated didn't add up. D) So many people are piling on THIS thread that don't even appear to have read the thread that the OP was talking about.
    The large majority of posts in the other thread referenced the OP's thread in many different ways, not relating to his English skills. Even if the thread had been written in perfect English I still would have made my comment.

**It is also VERY interesting to note his previous posts that are in near perfect English.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'll be the one to say it. I can't be the only one thinking it...

This week especially, but it seems there are members who have been looking for any reason to complain about something/someone on INGO. And it doesn't matter what it is.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'll be the one to say it. I can't be the only one thinking it...

This week especially, but it seems there are members who have been looking for any reason to complain about something/someone on INGO. And it doesn't matter what it is.
    I think the OP is just trying to get in the VIP club that was referenced in another thread. :rolleyes:

*no, I'm not kidding.

Top Bottom