• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Any thoughts on how likely this is? I generally dismiss this type of stuff, but we've been known to use a war to get out of economic rough spots before.

Thoughts?

EconomicPolicyJournal.com: Israel-Iran War in September?

Our wars of late do not spur major economic output increases as did, say, WWII. These wars lately have been more of a drain on resources and manpower, to say nothing of the growing list of valiant dead.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Our wars of late do not spur major economic output increases as did, say, WWII. These wars lately have been more of a drain on resources and manpower, to say nothing of the growing list of valiant dead.

Huh?

Wars are waged to spur major economic output increases? Since when?

Wars are used to further political interests. WWII did not spur economic increases for the losers of that war.

Wars are about blowing stuff up and killing as many people as posssible.

Wars are the tool by which the political goals of the leaderships of countries involved are attained. Drains on resources and numbers of casualties are not a concern of the leadership.

Have we had this conversation before and in a different place?

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    You would think they would start in August to time the back to school sales with the "back to war" sales. Who could beat half off RPG's with a purchase of colored pencils I ask you? Holy War Trapper Keepers would go like hot cakes.......

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Huh?

Wars are waged to spur major economic output increases? Since when?

Wars are used to further political interests. WWII did not spur economic increases for the losers of that war.

Wars are about blowing stuff up and killing as many people as posssible.

Wars are the tool by which the political goals of the leaderships of countries involved are attained. Drains on resources and numbers of casualties are not a concern of the leadership.

Have we had this conversation before and in a different place?

Well, besides wars that were fought over resources that would necessarily boost a nation's economy, some large-scale conflicts like WWII artificially send the economy into the stratosphere for a short time due to the increased amount of manufacturing, natural resource gathering etc that is done to meet the demand of a hungry war machine. I didn't say that wars are fought only to boost economies, but some wars, if on a sufficiently large scale, can temporarily boost an economy.

Our modern conflicts do not drain our resources at a sufficient rate to demand a major increase in manufacturing and simply drain our current resources, funds, and troops. They are, in effect, the perfect example of the never ending wars with Eurasia/Eastasia found in 1984: incapable of producing growth, but still able to drain more resources than in peacetime.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    if there is a war, it will be over quickly and one or both of the two countries will be a nuclear wasteland. The US will get involved if nukes are fired at Israel and then Iran will be glass from border to border.

Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    War provides a way for politicians to do many things, including boosting an economy. Those billions of dollars have to go somewhere. Missiles, bullets, MRE's, fuel etc. have to be bought. Wars also tend to pull a country together if the powers that be can frame it correctly. If they cannot, then they can pull a country apart. Wars distract the populace from domestic issues for a while. Wars give politicians more direct ways to solve political problems that they've struggled with in peace time. Wars give the government the ability to raise taxes and create new laws that consolidate their power base.

In short, wars are a politicians dream... unless you lose. Unfortunately, everyone impacted by a war loses no matter who wins. The thing that makes me question this issue is that: a - It's been warned of before, and b - There's not much of a way to spin it to gain popular support. Most in this country consider Israel to be among the good guys, but not too many would be willing to send their sons and daughters to finish their war for them unless there was a direct threat to the US that would be fought.

Hopefully it's nothing.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    If anybody is going to go at it with the Iranians then we all better hope it is the Israelis as they are the only military that knows how to win a war in modern times.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    If anybody is going to go at it with the Iranians then we all better hope it is the Israelis as they are the only military that knows how to win a war in modern times.

Oh, we know how to win a war: Israel simply lacks the luxury of wasting time, men, and materials. That, and they actually keep the lands they conquer from their enemies, so the faster they take ground the less the U.N. might make them give back overall :D

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    I don't blame Israel for starting a war with Iran. Iran has said they will nuke Israel (can't remember where I read that) when they get their nuclear weapons program fully developed. Last I heard they are still working on making the weapons.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    irishfan said:

because they did so well in Lebanon in 2006.

Granted, it's because they followed our lead and fought by marquis of queensbury rules, but the fact remains.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I don't know if it will happen, but if it does happen it will only be the beginning of another world war probably. Jews and Christians fighting the Muslims. Crusades all over again. Only this time we have bigger swords.....

nuke1.jpg

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    Any thoughts on how likely this is? I generally dismiss this type of stuff, but we've been known to use a war to get out of economic rough spots before.

Thoughts?

EconomicPolicyJournal.com: Israel-Iran War in September?

Not happening in September.

The news wouldn't have leaked out already if it was to happen. It will happen when no one is expecting due to some bogus excuses as was the case with Iraq. .

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    because they did so well in Lebanon in 2006.

Granted, it's because they followed our lead and fought by marquis of queensbury rules, but the fact remains.

The Israelis didn't do so well in 2006 because they didn't follow their normal game plan. If I remember correctly, the plan was supposed to be a frontal assault into Lebanon that was more of a diversion, while making an amphibious assault behind them. Unfortunately, the weak PM at the time listened to W and never pulled off the amphibious assault. W wanted them to have an air war. Unfortunately, the Israeli Air Force isn't as big as the U.S.A.F. and wasn't able to carry out a sustained air war.

This time, the situation is reversed. Israel has a PM who isn't weak and we have a President who is weak.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    The Israelis didn't do so well in 2006 because they didn't follow their normal game plan. If I remember correctly, the plan was supposed to be a frontal assault into Lebanon that was more of a diversion, while making an amphibious assault behind them. Unfortunately, the weak PM at the time listened to W and never pulled off the amphibious assault. W wanted them to have an air war. Unfortunately, the Israeli Air Force isn't as big as the U.S.A.F. and wasn't able to carry out a sustained air war.

This time, the situation is reversed. Israel has a PM who isn't weak and we have a President who is weak.

Agreed, which is pretty much what I said.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think something is certainly up. Maybe not a war in September, but perhaps sometime in the not too distant future. We've been doing a lot of prep work recently in the Gulf and Mediteranian to weaken potential allies of Iran. My guess is the "Unrest in the Middle East" with all the revolts is part of the game plan.

A) It gives us an excuse to have assets in the immediate area

B) It allows us to cut off potential allies and partners

C) It allows us to boil the water slowly, both to numb the American Public, and to also sneak within striking distance of the bad guys.

Ever watch NatGeo when they show lions hunting their prey? They like to do it at night, and usually sneak up and move in as close as they can before going for the kill. Same tactic here.

Take a look at the Middle East and look at the countries that we are already allies with (example Israel), have current military operations underway (Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.), or who we have significant influence (example India). Now throw in the revolts in Egypt, Lybia, and Syria and we're clearing out potential allies to Iran that would be in proximity to Israel.

We pretty much have Iran surrounded. Notice we've even done the old trick of counter intelligence, and have been talking about everyone but Iran lately. To the point of it is almost strange that we're talking about everyone else but Iran right now given how much press they had not all that long ago. You could even argue the the Obama - Netanyahu "break up" in D.C. a while back was a bunch of smoke and mirrors to make it look like we didn't have their back.

MidEastMap.png

Just hope it is a decisive blow and an all out nuclear holocaust doesn't ensue.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I think something is certainly up. Maybe not a war in September, but perhaps sometime in the not too distant future. We've been doing a lot of prep work recently in the Gulf and Mediteranian to weaken potential allies of Iran. My guess is the "Unrest in the Middle East" with all the revolts is part of the game plan.

A) It gives us an excuse to have assets in the immediate area

B) It allows us to cut off potential allies and partners

C) It allows us to boil the water slowly, both to numb the American Public, and to also sneak within striking distance of the bad guys.

Ever watch NatGeo when they show lions hunting their prey? They like to do it at night, and usually sneak up and move in as close as they can before going for the kill. Same tactic here.

Take a look at the Middle East and look at the countries that we are already allies with (example Israel), have current military operations underway (Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.), or who we have significant influence (example India). Now throw in the revolts in Egypt, Lybia, and Syria and we're clearing out potential allies to Iran that would be in proximity to Israel.

We pretty much have Iran surrounded. Notice we've even done the old trick of counter intelligence, and have been talking about everyone but Iran lately. To the point of it is almost strange that we're talking about everyone else but Iran right now given how much press they had not all that long ago. You could even argue the the Obama - Netanyahu "break up" in D.C. a while back was a bunch of smoke and mirrors to make it look like we didn't have their back.

MidEastMap.png

Just hope it is a decisive blow and an all out nuclear holocaust doesn't ensue.

Interesting take on this.:yesway: Wonder if this could just end up being some kind of October suprise right before the November election. As much bragging as Obama did over Usama, think of how he would act if Iran was taken down.

I wouldn't put anything past this narssistic thug.

Top Bottom