• Status
    Not open for further replies.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    Finally! I've been waiting all day for this... It's an AR! (And hopefully not in the 'Another Recall' way)

Ruger SR-556

:rockwoot:

(I really thought it would be an SR40... And I never want to make another post again... lol, post count :D)

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Pic:
    468L.jpg

And specs:
    Caliber: 5.56mm NATO/.223 Rem.
    Capacity: 30 Rounds
    Finish: ManganesePhosphate/HardcoatAnodized
    Stock: 6-Position Telescoping M4-Style
    Barrel Length: 16 1/8"
    Groove: 6
    Twist: 1:9" RH
    Overall Length: 32.75" - 36"
    Weight: 7.92 lbs
    California Approved: No
    Massachusetts Approved: No
    Front Sight(s): Folding BattleSights (Elev.)
    Rear Sight(s): Folding BattleSights (Windage)
    Other Features: AR Compatible Selector Lever
    Suggested Retail Price: $ 1995.00
    Miscellaneous: AR-style SR-556 ships with 10" Troy Industries Quad Rail, Three Troy Industries Rail Covers, 3 30-Rounds Magazines, and a soft Ruger case. Also includes Hogue® Monogrip® Pistol Grip.

Glad to see they went with good quality add-ons and mags (Troy & Magpul), but it makes me wonder if they are making their own receivers and gas system, or using someone else's? I also don't see any mention of a quick-change barrel, which rumors indicated it was supposed to have.

Bottom line - I don't see anything here that "redefines" the AR platform; I just see a late entry into a rapidly crowding field for what is a niche product (piston guns; not ARs in general) at best.

Last edited:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Interesting approach. I kind of expected more of a lower end offering from Ruger. $2k isn't lower end. Going with a piston is interesting.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    For that money, I think I'd buy ammo and a PTR-91. Or perhaps the Sig556, if I really wanted a piston AR.

But it is cool looking! I sure wouldn't refuse one if I won it in a contest, or something.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    For that money, I think I'd buy ammo and a PTR-91. Or perhaps the Sig556, if I really wanted a piston AR.

But it is cool looking! I sure wouldn't refuse one if I won it in a contest, or something.

Don't you mean if you DIDN'T want an AR Jose?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Plus the XCR is one frame, back to front the rail is one. Having that troy quad rail, to me, may be a issue once battering takes place.

Just a thought... it may be perfectly fine. If it runs like a 10/22 good for them!

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    Pic:
    I also don't see any mention of a quick-change barrel, which rumors indicated it was supposed to have.

According to the exploded view of the manual they have used their own style of barrel and barrel nut. By the photo it appears they have made their idea of a quick change barrel by using a larger barrel nut (#64). Their manual advises that all parts have to be bought from them, appears that includes barrels.

My question is, how do you set the torque when installing a new barrel. I am concerned about a set screw or separate pin (#79) for indexing the barrel instead of a stud made as part of the barrel. Screws can back out and pins fall out. Loose your head space, the barrel rotates or worse your barrel falls off, you have big problems.

Piston guns have their own problems and it appears that this design has not fixed them.

RugerBarrelAssem.jpg

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    You don't set the "torque" on any QCB. It's in the design.
    Part #79 shown in the above schematic is the same type stud pin used for barrel alignment to the reciever as used with every M16 & AR15 out there, nothing different with that.
    The Ruger SR556 has some unique features that are not clearly shown in the drawing. Give it a few weeks to get into the hands of shooters before forming an opinion. Ruger has spent some extra time on this one.
    Not sure where they are coming from on the price, seems like it could be better even with the current market demand.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom