• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    My only wonder is if that barrel nut/delta ring contact point will be a strong performer in the long run. It could be a 'hinge point' eventually if not kept tight and begin to tweak on the piston/block.

Just a thought, speculation of a hick! I'd like to shoot one for sure! I bet it's light too.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Cool! but out of my league. The price is what makes it scary looking...lol In the term "EBR" the Evil part = pricetag

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I think they have a winner..

I am stoked to see a reasonably priced GP AR. This design makes the Stoner design obsolete.. Now lets cross our fingers and hope it isn't recalled after the first shipment...

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I liked the video. The music made my girlfriend start giving me a lap dance. Imagine what she will do when I buy one.

Question:

What is the purpose for the 4 Position Gas Regulator?

I don't have a Black Rifle because I am still learning about them.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    My only wonder is if that barrel nut/delta ring contact point will be a strong performer in the long run. It could be a 'hinge point' eventually if not kept tight and begin to tweak on the piston/block.

Just a thought, speculation of a hick! I'd like to shoot one for sure! I bet it's light too.

I'm not following how you're imagining the delta ring being a "hinge point".

Are you suggesting it could loosen to the point that the barrel assembly can stray from an angle other than perfectly inline with the upper receiver itself? You do know that about an inch and a quarter of the barrel/chamber slides into the upper receiver, right? There is no amount that the barrel can sneak out of the upper and allow it to "hinge" without it completely falling out.

The barrel nut should be tight enough from factory and if not, I'm sure it will get stuck at some point in it's attempt to unscrew if it does start to loosen.

I've never heard of a barrel nut on ANY rifle coming loose and causing any problems.

Besides, those roll pins probably have something to do with the barrel nut and holding it in place- either that or holding in place a sleeve that the rod slides through- a bushing of sorts that a standard GI AR does not have.

The gas regulator probably has 4 positions 2 of which are redundant. I'm guessing one is OFF and one is ON and they alternate so turning it 90 degrees will turn it off then another 90 will turn it on- this is so you don't need to turn past 180 to change.

You'd perhaps want to turn it off when using a suppressor as this is the most common reason piston designs have this feature. I'm not sure I like that idea- it will just cause more back pressure and MUCH more crap will blow back into the bolt and upper.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Lets break it down more:

Folding battle sights - $260 per set, direct from Troy
    MRF quad rail - $230 direct from Troy
    Rail covers - $35 from Troy

If you subtract the retail price of the accessories from the street price of the 556 you can see that Ruger is bringing you a piston AR for UNDER $1,000.

Of course your still going to have to fork over the $1500 if you want it. I haven't decided if this or the Sig 556 is the better deal yet.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Well, I'm referring to the fact that if you look at the features and scroll to the end where they list the rail, it's supposedly unique to this rifle- a 10" version. I'm just going by what they say. Besides, you can easily tell it's NOT the same as any other they sell. This one has roll pins through the top and bottom at the rear to hold it onto the barrel nut or some other part unique to this system.

RIF.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Yes, but the rail was designed for standard impingement rifles. It makes sense that it may have needed a bit of adaptation for this new system.

Its not a part thats ever going to break unless you beat it with a hammer, so as long as a replacement is available from Ruger, then whats your gripe?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    You are going to tell me that rail was designed for standard rifles even though it's clearly got features made for this rifle specifically?

My gripe? I'm pointing out the fact that the rail is listed with an MSRP when it's not available at any RP.

Get off my a$$.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    No need to get defensive. Your the one who started griping about the rail, all Im asking you to do is back it up.

You are going to tell me that rail was designed for standard rifles even though it's clearly got features made for this rifle specifically?
    No, I'm not. I'm saying that Troy makes the same rail for standard rifles, and that since the 556 is not a standard rifle, it only makes sense that Troy would have had to modify the design. I'm also saying that the limited availability is a moot point since its not a part that is ever going to break.

It sounds to me like your just looking for something to complain about.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    You asked me what my "gripe" was so I responded. Defensive? Take it as you'd like but quit whining about what I said.

Troy does not make the same rail for standard rifles. This is obviously a different rail. Are you calling it the same because it's picatinny? So Daniel Defense and LaRue make the same rails too?

I was just pointing out that it doesn't have a "cost" since it's not sold separately. Quit nit-picking the point that it could be compared to a similar rail.

I was not talking about it's "limited availability" as a negative or anything other than something that excludes it from having an MSRP of it's own. Why you are making the point that it will never break is beyond me.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Ignoring all of the feeble attempts at personal jabs... you said "it looks like they copied the XCR to a good extent". If you were not referring to the gas piston setup, then what did you mean?

Did he respond to this yet? I love XCR guys. XCRs were the first thing with a piston some people could get their d!ck skinners on so they are the best- everything else is a copy.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I was not talking about it's "limited availability" as a negative or anything other than something that excludes it from having an MSRP of it's own. Why you are making the point that it will never break is beyond me.

You responded yes, but not with anything coherent that outlines your problems with Rugers product. You responded with a bunch of fluff and posturing.

The reason I made my point about the rails durability is because at the time you sounded like you had a problem with the fact that the SR556 uses a special rail. The only logical reason someone would have a problem with this is if they were concerned about its durability, so I made the point that durability wasn't an issue.

Now your making it sound like you don't have any real problem with the product at all? If thats true then why did you even post? What does the fact that its not sold separately have to do with anything?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I responded "yes" to what exactly? Nothing coherent? You've solely taken it upon yourself to derail this thread into an argument about the damn rail. Are you talking about when I addressed Mettle's concernes with the "hinge"?

When did I say I have a problem with Ruger's product and why are you telling me I responded with nothing but fluff and posturing? Who the hell are you? Are you in charge of this thread and discussion?

I don't care if you think I "sounded" like I had a problem with the rail's durability. Go reread the thread BEFORE you were involved and you'll probably see another discussion you weren't involved in before you came in flailing about "rail this" and "hammer that" and "it's the same as the other rails" blah blah blah...

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I responded "yes" to what exactly?
    Holy hell man. I was not stating that you responded "yes" to anything. Its a simple part of speech.

I read the thread, and I read your previous statements about the "hinge". Thats not what I was referring to. I simply didn't understand why you made your statement about the rail in question, or what if any problem you had with it, and you have responded with a dozen different red herrings and thinly veiled insults.

You still haven't addressed my question in a direct manner, and yet your still making posts. Thats all Iv been asking for is a simple explanation of your thoughts behind that comment you made.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Quit insulting me by saying I am making veilsed insults and red herrings.

What the hell is your question anyway? What my problem is with Ruger? How many times do I have to say I have no problem with them or the rifle. Where did you get that from?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom