• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    One way or another, you have to insure that all bacteria (particularly Clostridium botulinum) are killed when canning. There are two basic methods- using acidity or heat+pressure treatment. Heat+pressure is required in combo because botulinum does not die at 212. Pressure allows the water to get to a higher temperature to kill the buggers.

If done properly and the seal remains, the food will be usable for a good while. It will slowly deteriorate in flavor and nutrients, but still be safe beyond recommended "eat by" claims.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Do you do that as a "just in case" you don't kill everything or it gets recontaminated before you seal the jar?

I guess botulism spores are in everything, but only thrive in low acid, airless environments. All salsa, and tomato recipes call for extra acidification, since tomatoes are boarder line, ph can vary between variety, state of ripeness, and growing conditions.

Like stated above, botulism spores are killed at above 240f, but most tomatoes are canned water bath, so you need the extra acid.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was hoping you'd just teach me everything I needed to know about it. :-)

Get on down here. Lots of beans to pick, wash, break. Potatoes to wash, peal and cut up. That's before the canning and it's prep gets started.

In the mean time, more tomatoes will be ripe next week. Pruning goes with picking along with a fungicide spray on top of fertilizer/tonic sprays every three weeks or so. And cucumbers and pickles and beets...

Oh, and haven't even touched on weeds or compost or bugs or varmints or rain yet...
    :stretcher:

Last edited:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Keep an eye out for roasts that are on sale. Great to can as chunks. You'll love canned beef in the middle of winter. Beef & noodles. MMM!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We can beef, pork loin, chicken breast, and boneless chicken thighs....that stuff makes the best stews, soups, chicken and noodles....you name it. Canning your deer meat is a better way to use all of the deer meat. Throw almost nothing away.

When we can tomatoes we never add vinegar. I just wash them well, skin 'em, and then stuff the jar full. Pressure can at 11 lbs for 12-13 minutes and they're good to go. Never ever lost a can of tomatoes or salsa.

Quick way to skin tomatoes: bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Kill the heat. Drop the whole tomatoes in the water for about 2 minutes, remove and immediately submerge them in cold water....the skin just pulls right off. No knife, no mess.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I've been canning tomato juice and whole tomato the same way my mom and grandmother did without adding any extra acid to them. Nobody has ever gotten sick that I know of. We always add the vinegar to our salsa, but I love the vinegar kick it adds anyway. Not saying it's the safest way, but it has worked quite a while.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    Quick way to skin tomatoes: bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Kill the heat. Drop the whole tomatoes in the water for about 2 minutes, remove and immediately submerge them in cold water....the skin just pulls right off. No knife, no mess.
    This technique works great on peaches as well. Used it on a batch of peach preserves and a batch of peach butter last week.

We also can meat. Pork loin when it goes on sale. Sirloin tip when it goes on sale. Very handy to have.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    This technique works great on peaches as well. Used it on a batch of peach preserves and a batch of peach butter last week.

We also can meat. Pork loin when it goes on sale. Sirloin tip when it goes on sale. Very handy to have.

You would be amazed at folks who've never heard of canned 'meat'. I brought in some canned beef to a carry-in and those who turned their nose up at first thought it was delicious.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I actually like canned peaches and pears better than fresh. I've had commerically canned meats before, but never "home made."

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We'd take a pint of venison hunks, a quart of the canned vegetable soup mix, add pint of diced tomatoes, and a pint of beef broth....bring it to a simmer, stirring ocassionaly...add hot peppers and cornbread to suit your taste. None better. Home canned meat is delicious and saves SO MUCH time. Canned boneless chicken thighs are dirt cheap and make the best chicken noodle soup.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The meat cooks in the jar. I add 1/2 tsp of good beef bullion to my beef and venison. Chicken bullion to chicken and pork.

[video=youtube;yH_hRhT-Pns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH_hRhT-Pns[/video]

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    The wife has been busy for 3 weeks.So far,40 qts of pole and flat italian beans,and they are still coming.14 qts of beets(pickled eggs yummy)40 qts of corn,20 qts of blackberries(extra yummy)pulped 10 qts of zucs for bread this winter,and tomatoes have not even ripened yet,and the peaches and pears are around the corner.Once again,she will threaten me with a divorce till the garden is done.Got some of the biggest candy onions I have ever grown about done.Gonna make a big batch is sweet onion soup.....yummy

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    So, maybe a dumb question but... do you just cook the meat before canning or do you have to do something special to it or nothing at all?

We can meat in pint jars. And we raw can...which means we cut up the meat, trim off the part we don't want (which is almost nothing), and then pack the jars full up to 1/2 inch from the top. We use the wide mouth jars. Then take a paper towel with vinegar on it and wipe off the rims of the jars, apply the heated lids, add the screw on rings, and pressure can it for however long the book says. (we do pork/chicken/beef/deer for 75 mins at 11 lbs)

When the meat jars are in the pressure canner, the food inside the jars cooks. Some folks add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to each jar, we do not. Canned a bunch of chicken breasts once and put a small sprig of Rosemary in a few of the jars...the Rosemary Chicken was delicious.

BuickGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Winamac
    I bought everything to try and can pickles this week. It is the first time ever canning all on my own. Used to help at home when they made jelly. Going to try that soon too. Trying to get the GF onboard too. Ive found that Walmart sells the jars the cheapest. Been watching youtube and reading the Ball Book.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I made a few trips to the garden and did most of the cleaning/cutting up. Wife did almost all of the canning/pickling. Beets, pickles, green beans, jalapeno peppers, hot/mild pepper rings and tomato sauce. It was a full Saturday 13901377_10207342872989285_7016711025213028132_n.jpg

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I'm a canning noob and and water canned (pickled) a bunch of red chilies, thai moon, and cherry tomatoes that I had leftover. The recipe was for cherry tomatoes and had a .5 cup vinegar to 1 cup water ratio, but I used it for the peppers also not realizing till after the fact that they had a much higher PH. I have them in the fridge currently but should I pop the tops on them or should the PH be low enough with that much vinegar?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm a canning noob and and water canned (pickled) a bunch of red chilies, thai moon, and cherry tomatoes that I had leftover. The recipe was for cherry tomatoes and had a .5 cup vinegar to 1 cup water ratio, but I used it for the peppers also not realizing till after the fact that they had a much higher PH. I have them in the fridge currently but should I pop the tops on them or should the PH be low enough with that much vinegar?

Peppers usually require a much higher concentrate of vinegar....like 5 parts vinegar to one part water. How long did you process them? You're probably OK eating them out of the fridge for a few weeks but after that make sure you check for mold, spoilage, bad odors....if you even suspect some signs of it going bad...dump them and do not eat them. Your tomatoes ought to be fine...but always inspect them before eating. If you have rings on your jars, take them off. Leaving the ring on can sometimes hide the appearance of spoiled food. If it's bad you want the top to pop.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Peppers usually require a much higher concentrate of vinegar....like 5 parts vinegar to one part water. How long did you process them?

15 minutes. I popped the top on the peppers and am just going to eat. Were only under vacuum and refrigerated for 3 days.

Top Bottom