• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Did some crock sauerkraut for 4 1/2 weeks. Very very strong stuff. Won't be doing it that long next time. It's in jars in the fridge. I could pressure can it, but that would kill all the bacteria, so I chose to just set the jars in the fridge. I've got some pickles in the crock right now. It's actually a couple days past due, and I'm stuck here at the campground. Need to take care of that....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can freeze them now. If it were me, I'd work them into a sauce or chili or something to freeze. Assuming you'll have more tomatoes ready soon?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    14542492_10210508047916255_4609127231929549467_o.jpg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I saw some Canadian Cranberries the other day at Meijer. I'm about to make up a couple batches of cranberry sauce

Kroger had them today as well...i need to go get a bag and see how they dry out on the dehydrator....I love dried cranberries, but the ones you buy from Ocean Spray have 10 lbs of sugar or syrup added to them. Wife puts dried berries in her oatmeal cookies and banana nut bread...it's insanely delicious

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    We planted a new type of tomato this year that we got from Florida University. Best eating tomato I've had but they ripened weird. About a half dozen come ready at first, then three weeks later a whole mess of them was ready. So we've been canning hard the last couple of days. Same as above we don't add any acid just pressure.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Necro bump as I didn’t feel,this question justified a new thread.

Just getting started canning and need to stock up on jars, lids, etc. Where do you canners find the best deals on jars and lids? I know I can get everything on Amazon but it seems there is likely a better place to pick up supplies.

Thanks for any tips you all could provide.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Just getting started canning and need to stock up on jars, lids, etc. Where do you canners find the best deals on jars and lids? I know I can get everything on Amazon but it seems there is likely a better place to pick up supplies.

Rural King has them by the tons in late summer early fall....not sure how well they are stocked now.

I had luck hitting up some of the Freecycle forums and just asked if anyone had a pile of old jars they didn't want. I got about 100 free Quarts a couple summers ago.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I mostly get everything from Menards. Try to stock up in advance when stuff is on sale.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Lids are cheaper here at the Amish stores, and in bulk. We save rings, but some are getting a bit rusty. We also use Tattler (reusable) lids. We ran out of quart jars this fall due to all the apples our local tree produced (after having none last year) and the grapes we snagged that were being thrown out.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Lids are cheaper here at the Amish stores, and in bulk. We save rings, but some are getting a bit rusty. We also use Tattler (reusable) lids. We ran out of quart jars this fall due to all the apples our local tree produced (after having none last year) and the grapes we snagged that were being thrown out.

I've thought about getting some Tattler lids to try out. Have you been happy with them?

Most of our quart jars are old jars, inherited from family. Anymore, we will just supplement jars and lids as we go, if we're canning and we need something, we hit up Rural King or Walmart.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I've thought about getting some Tattler lids to try out. Have you been happy with them?
    Mostly. There is a slightly higher failure rate for sealing, but not so much we stop using them. Just gotta check 'em more thoroughly before storing. We also reuse metal lids (horrors!) if they are not bent. Failure rate of those is not noticeably higher than new. From the crossed-out labels some have been reused more than once.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Mostly. There is a slightly higher failure rate for sealing, but not so much we stop using them. Just gotta check 'em more thoroughly before storing. We also reuse metal lids (horrors!) if they are not bent. Failure rate of those is not noticeably higher than new. From the crossed-out labels some have been reused more than once.

I have a friend who told me that he re-uses metal lids also, on occasion. I told my wife and she said "When the SHTF, and we get low on lids, THEN we'll start re-using them".

I told her that we should re-use a few each year, and see how they do so we know what to expect.

I am going to order some Tattlers after the first of the year and get those into the rotation next season.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I have a friend who told me that he re-uses metal lids also, on occasion. I told my wife and she said "When the SHTF, and we get low on lids, THEN we'll start re-using them".

I told her that we should re-use a few each year, and see how they do so we know what to expect.

I am going to order some Tattlers after the first of the year and get those into the rotation next season.

I have been very successful at reusing lids. That said, I have moved to using all new to take that part of possible failure out of the loop.

I save all usable lids for SHTF. If those were all that were on hand, I wouldn't worry about using them.

I try to be careful about removing lids, prying them off with the dull edge of a butter knife to keep them flat. Lids removed with a churchkey type opener are often bent and untrustworthy.

Top Bottom