• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Holy crap, $90 to shot an IDPA match... Glad I’m not in Eville.

Level 2, many or most folks were also looking at gas/lodging/meals . $90.00 is on the lower end of the scale for USPSA & IDPA level 2 and above. Sanctioned matches are not good for the wallet.

Seemed like the folks I talked with were all happy with the event & looking forward to next year, but I am a tightwad and stay with the cheap stuff unless I am working a match, mostly, sometimes it is just worth it to get out of town & shoot with folks from out of state & etc..

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Having spent a few years shooting matches, planning matches, running matches, ROing matches and building props and cleaning up the mess I have to say anyone who charges $90 for a match is doing something wrong.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    It might have been worth tightening up the mainspring strain screw to see if that made enough difference to finish the match.

That was an afterthought. First thought was throw the gun into the adjacent pond so I never had to worry about it again. I wasn't happy that morning.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a chance to run a couple of guns in the cold Friday morning. While running my G30sf, I let my Sig 1911 and .40 75B that's been fully tuned and cajunized cold soak for almost an hour. Not quite the two hours I'd have liked, but it was cold and I was running out of .45. Both of the guns were sitting with the defensive loads that I use. Both were cold as a witch's *** when I picked them up. Each emptied the mags just fine into the steel targets out at MCFG. It gives me a lot of confidence in that .40 75B. With the light spring package and huge amount of rail contact area, I was wondering how it would do.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Again, springs are not affected by the cold. OK, maybe if you dunk one in liquid Ox or put it in a furnace. But seasonal air temperatures? No.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I'm sorry, I don't agree with your theory based off of ammo being too slow. I would venture to say it was an ammo problem over a spring problem.

If you were putting your springs under high HIGH heat, ok, maybe I could see a failure to fire.

When comparing revolvers to SAs, you're talking different things. Lube on a SA, can gum up causing issues.

If you are having gummed up issues in a revolver, I suggest we discuss your cleaning methods.

I've done HUNDREDS of trigger jobs, and HUNDREDS of spring kits. If you're still telling me cold weather affects your springs, I'll be willing to see your proof.

Until then, I call bovine fecal matter.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm sorry, I don't agree with your theory based off of ammo being too slow. I would venture to say it was an ammo problem over a spring problem.

If you were putting your springs under high HIGH heat, ok, maybe I could see a failure to fire.

When comparing revolvers to SAs, you're talking different things. Lube on a SA, can gum up causing issues.

If you are having gummed up issues in a revolver, I suggest we discuss your cleaning methods.

I've done HUNDREDS of trigger jobs, and HUNDREDS of spring kits. If you're still telling me cold weather affects your springs, I'll be willing to see your proof.

Until then, I call bovine fecal matter.
    I thought cold affected the mercury fulminate's sensitivity, not the spring itself?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Having spent a few years shooting matches, planning matches, running matches, ROing matches and building props and cleaning up the mess I have to say anyone who charges $90 for a match is doing something wrong.

The one in question was 10 stages, lunch provided, elaborate props/stages built including a "dark house", nice prize table for all of the match staff (about 35 I think), Tee shirts for all the match staff, nice prize table for all of the competitors (forget how many, something over 100), lodging paid for the staff from out of town, trophies for 1,2,3 in several divisions, and a bunch of stuff like that.

I'm not saying that level 2 matches are good or bad, but I also work at local matches (typically $15-20) & it ain't apples and apples.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For those that are enamored of "trigger jobs" that consist of lightened springs for their revolvers, the current weather is the ideal time to test your handgun. I urge you to leave your handgun and ammo out to be cold soaked and then pick it up and see if it reliably fires when cold. A couple of cylinders in a revolver should be enough to find out if there is inconsistent ignition.

I have gone through the lightened spring phase long ago and discovered the Colt, S&W, and Ruger knew what they were doing at least as far as hammer and trigger return springs. Even my professionally done revolvers have been returned to factory springs after I realized they could not be counted on in the cold. I use stock springs with smoothed and polished actions.

FWIW.

For us rookies, exactly what constitutes/qualifies as "cold soaked"? Details would be helpful.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For us rookies, exactly what constitutes/qualifies as "cold soaked"? Details would be helpful.

It's when the gun reaches the same temperature (or thereabouts) as the ambient air temperature (cold). In other words, the gun is as cold as it's going to get in its surroundings.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Tonight would make for an interesting test of various lubes and how they handle extreme temps. My truck will get a test of its 5W/30 Mobil 1 come morning. Not to mention the ATF and various diff lubes that are probably going to flow like molasses in the morning.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Tonight would make for an interesting test of various lubes and how they handle extreme temps. My truck will get a test of its 5W/30 Mobil 1 come morning. Not to mention the ATF and various diff lubes that are probably going to flow like molasses in the morning.
    LOL, I lived in North Dakota for years, cold-weather passed the "interesting" stage for me a long time ago!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If ATF flowed like molasses at freezing temps your car would not make it out of your driveway. You would most likely blow a lot of seals in the transmission. I've kept a squirt bottle filled with ATF on my unheated shop bench for years and I have never seen it turn to molasses.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If ATF flowed like molasses at freezing temps your car would not make it out of your driveway. I've kept a squirt bottle filled with ATF on my unheated shop bench for years and I have never seen it turn to molasses. It is an excellent lube.

I do believe there was just a touch of humor in this.....just a touch...:)

The only thing I am testing today is the heater in my truck.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think it is amazing how I can bruise people without intending to do so. My stated reason to post this was to simply say that REVOLVERS can be finicky in cold weather. Since I don't remove the side plate every time I clean one, there could be something in there that will gum up the works when temps are below zero like they have been. Lightened springs in revolvers aggravate this. I have never had any issues with any semi-auto pistol. Ever.

I grew up in, and spent 34 years in Minnesota before moving to balmy Indiana in 1985. If I had posted this on a Minnesota gun site, I would have gotten dozens of responses that they already checked their guns by dry firing in the ice house while waiting for a bite and the wife to get back with more beer... Some may not have dry fired. That hole in the ice is a fine bullet trap...Especially after a couple of Grain Belts.

Cold just does unexpected things to mechanical devices. I certainly don't think the cold changes springs.

I test my equipment constantly. Under as many conditions as possible. It is the only way to be confidant that it will work when needed. I hope you take advantage of the extreme cold to test yours too. And for you professional gunsmiths that have done thousands of trigger jobs with lightened springs, carry on and keep providing quality products that are 100 per cent reliable to your customers.

That is all.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ok, I did not get the revolver intent originally. I was thinking that you were saying that it might be worth checking any modified/lightened guns and lubes. I am curious as to how different lubes tend to react to the cold though. I remember years ago leaving a bottle of Kendall out in sub-zero temperature and seeing what looked like wax nodules in it. The manual gearboxes I've driven in sub-zero temps tend to feel like they are full of peanut butter for a minute or two when running. But I have no way of telling what is going on with a slushbox except for the fact that it whines when first started in really cold weather.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I fired up my Corvette today and put a couple hundred miles on it. The alternator made an awful noise for a couple of minutes. Bearing noise I think. It was -10 outside.

I think it is worthwhile to check any device you might need in the cold. Knowledge is important.

Top Bottom