• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I have an itch to buy another Mosin. So, here is the plan. I'm going to use my extra Christmas money to purchase and sporterize a Mosin. I have always wanted to do this, but did not want to hack and scrape my first Mosin, so the only real solution is to buy another :D.

I am going to buy it the day after Christmas, or on Monday. I will post my progress on this thread. That way, I can track my progress, and INGO can follow along.

I also would like to hear some feedback of what everyone has done to theirs, and see some pics, too. This includes, but is not limited too, custom stocks, scope mounts, bent bolts, crazy paint, etc.

(Please don't post about how unethical it is to change a Mosin. Destroying history is awesome.)

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    My mosin I put an ATI stock and scope mount kit on it, I cut the barrel down right behind the sight and recrowned the barrel. I free floated the barrel and put a cheap simmons 3-9 power on it and also a harris bipod. It looks awesome and I have around $300 in the whole thing. I want to take it in and have it hydra dipped in snake skin this summer. I dont have any pics other than on my phone but trust me its a mean lookin rifle and very accurate. Midwest gun exchange has the 91/30's for $79 bucks till the end of the year.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Can you give me a brief synopsis on how you free floated your barrel? I am interested in doing that, but not really sure how to on the Mosins.

Edit: I would love to swing by Midwest for a Mosin that cheap, however its about 5 hours away. Anybody know where I can get one of these Russian bad boys for around 80-90 dollars in southern Indiana?

Last edited:

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I just sat it in the ATI stock marked where it hit and used a dremel very carefully until I could slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock... I read somewhere that you tan take a piece of pvc pipe slighty bigger around than the barrel and wrap sandpaper around it and do it that way too. The hardest part of the whole gun build was drilling the receiver and tapping it for the scope mount... some people put a scout scope on them to avoid this, but I dont like the look of a scope halfway down the barrel
    DSCI0467.jpg
    DSCI0467.jpg

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've watched some videos on youtube from a user named Iraqveteran8888 He has a project of Sporting a MN 91/30 that he currently doing. Interesting project to me, at this point I don't want to ever sport a 91/30 but I still think the project he's doing it pretty informative and interesting.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Glad to see you are getting the Mosin addiction. I am working on my 3rd one.
    In search of the ultimate fireball...this one will have a 16 1/2 barrel, drilled and tapped for an ATI scope mount and my own style bolt.

picture.php
    picture.php

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    Does anybody ever get the hex receiver ones? At midwest they have them in the big crates so you get to dig through and choose the one you want, but not the hex receiver ones.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I bought a hex receivered Mosin from Bradis back in November. Based upon the prices that everyone else is charging, the $140 I paid should have been given to another shop and I could have ended up with two. One to sporterize and the other to keep original.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I was going to go to 111 tomorrow. They sell them all day long for $99. I will call them and see if they have any in before I go now.

I don't mind ordering online, but I'm definitely willing to pay 5 or 10 bucks more to take it home with me.

Thanks for all the info, this is a big help.

Top Bottom