• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I guess I got lucky then. My wife would shoot with her grandpa all the time growing up. She doesn't really like shooting the bigger stuff (9mm or .380 occasionally) but give her a brick of .22 and a plinkin tree and shes content for hours. Now if I could only get her to understand that you can't have too much ammo or too many guns.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    You're single, aren't you? :):
    No, but she doesn't mind guns and doesn't bitch about me spending MY money on what I want. :thumbsup:

As for the OP, how about we work out a deal where I break into your house one night and attempt to rob you. I'll scare the hell out of her, and then she will be convinced that you need a gun. :draw:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As for the OP, how about we work out a deal where I break into your house one night and attempt to rob you. I'll scare the hell out of her, and then she will be convinced that you need a gun. :draw:

Sounds like an episode of Laverne and Shirley in the making.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I can't believe I'm just now reading this thread... sorry!!!!

Most of the guys have heard this story before, but here's the really short version:

Lars (W9ZEB) and I have been married for (almost) seven years.

Until a year ago, I didn't want guns in the house. Period. We might have kids some day, and kids sometimes blow themselves up. (I'm a girl, it's how we think when we don't know any better.) I finally gave up on having kids, and relented on "letting" him have a gun in the house.

Until four months ago, I cried if he tried to show me his S&W 22. A .22! Just sitting it on the bed between us pointing at the different parts sent me into a paranoid on-the-verge-of-going-insane psychotic mess of tears. He could have guns. I didn't want to know about them. Period.

And then I had a situation at work that really opened my eyes to how vulnerable I could be. Nothing bad ever came of it (physically anyway), but it set my emotional roller coaster going, and I made the decision that maybe I ought to know how to use Lars' guns in case I ever had to use one. So we met a friend who had been shooting for years and years at Pops one day to have him give me the basics to make me more comfortable that I was getting decent instruction.

Here it is, June 2008, and I have upgraded from using Lars' .22 to having two of my own 9mms. I love going to the range. The first week I had the P226, I put about 700 rounds through it. I'm turning into a training junkie. I might have to consider a twelve-step program to curb my addiction.

The moral of the story: she has to wake up to it herself. Lars didn't push. He talked when he knew he could, and when I told him I was done talking, he stopped. When I made the decision to accept guns in the house, he talked more, but stopped when I was done. He let me lead our discussions every time.

Bill of Rights had a good suggestion in reading the Cornered Cat website, especially the page that talks about how to make your wife hate guns. From a woman's point of view, that whole entire site is excellently written.

Also, if you manage to get her talking, and she has a specific female-related question you can't answer for some reason, Women & Guns has an excellent forum.

And finally, if you do get her open enough to try it .. or at least willing to talk to someone else about it .. I really do enjoy going to the range with people. It's why esrice wants to get us t-shirts that say "Official INGO Range Buddy." We like to go, and we like to share. We took Tinkerbell to the range a week or so ago, and from what I understand she had a good time. I'd definitely be up for repeating the trip with your girl. :)

Hope this helps; keep us posted! :)

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Until four months ago, I cried if he tried to show me his S&W 22. A .22! Just sitting it on the bed between us pointing at the different parts sent me into a paranoid on-the-verge-of-going-insane psychotic mess of tears. He could have guns. I didn't want to know about them. Period.
    But you have to admit, that's some pretty good foreplay. :thumbsup: :):

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And finally, if you do get her open enough to try it .. or at least willing to talk to someone else about it .. I really do enjoy going to the range with people. It's why esrice wants to get us t-shirts that say "Official INGO Range Buddy." We like to go, and we like to share. We took Tinkerbell to the range a week or so ago, and from what I understand she had a good time. I'd definitely be up for repeating the trip with your girl. :)

Hope this helps; keep us posted! :)

You need to get Spasmo and have a Girls' Range Night or something. Something with no men around to try to teach and preach, and where you all have come from the same "place".

Pami, I know you already know this, but for those who don't, Spasmo was just like you vis a vis guns. Her eye-opener was martial arts. When she suddenly realized that they're a tool just like all the other weapons (bo, saia, tonfa) she learned to use, it turned her around completely.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    You need to get Spasmo and have a Girls' Range Night or something. Something with no men around to try to teach and preach, and where you all have come from the same "place".

Pami, I know you already know this, but for those who don't, Spasmo was just like you vis a vis guns. Her eye-opener was martial arts. When she suddenly realized that they're a tool just like all the other weapons (bo, saia, tonfa) she learned to use, it turned her around completely.

First step.. Girls Night Out.
    Second step... our own forum on INGO! :p

It's all part of my plan to take over the world. ;)

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    My girlfriend who I am currently living with is 100% anti gun and damn near poops her pants at the sight of mine. Is there any way to explain the absolute must a handgun has become in our current society. Are there handgun classes I can take her to so she can become more comfortable with the idea? She won't go to the range and even if she did want to go i'm not sure I'd want to take her shooting for her first time in public.

Perhaps you could show her videos of women shooting? All shapes and sizes and different situaitons.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    An INGO girls night at the range would be a great idea. My wife is pro-gun, but by no means is she a "gun nut" yet. I think she would enjoy shooting with some other wimmens. Pami should get something together.....

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My wife Mandy (BersaGirl on the forums) was kinda the same way. She wasn't new to having guns in the house, because her father has a good collection. She was more anxious about me carrying all the time and everywhere we went. There were a couple of times that we came home to an open door, and my first reaction to tell her was, "Get in the car, lock the doors, call the police". What the worst part of it was, was we lived in a good neighborhood!! So, she finally warmed up to it and purchased her own pistol... Now, she asks ME when we're going to the range.

So, she'll definitely need to "wake up" for herself. Once she does, let her take it at her own pace. It's definitely a comfort issue and she needs to take the steps herself.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    First step.. Girls Night Out.
    Second step... our own forum on INGO! :p

It's all part of my plan to take over the world. ;)

pinky_brain.jpg

Sorry Pami. Hadda be said. :)

Blessings,
    B

Top Bottom