• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    I think you all bring up valid points. While I have grown up with guns all my life my wife hasn't. I know at first with Shotguns and muzzle loaders she didn't like them. But she accepted them and they were always safe.

FF to just before and after VT shooting. I had talked to her about getting a gun permit and said that since I had to go downtown that she might as well get her's. She agreed.

I bring up valid news articles with her. example in VA where we used to live for a while, there was an incident with a guy and wife who was carrying at the movie theater when afterwards there was a conflict. I talked with her about it, and she realized that we used to go to the same theater and that could of been us.

Since then I've been carrying nearly every chance I can, and a couple of times she has even asked me if I was. So she is starting to open up to it more.

Maybe a Girls night out and a day at the range with girls would be the right answer?

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I met my wife while home on leave from the Army, the families set us up. She came from a home/ family that were hunters but not gun enthusiasts (read gun nuts!!!) like mine. No one owned military style rifles or even went to the range. A few in her family had some pistols but none carried for defense.

I let her know right away, I had guns before her and I will probably have them after too. Sounds harsh but I compared it to a hobby like golf which is a huge hobby in her family. I told her that she didnt have to partake, approve or be part of it if she chose to.

After we were married she would go to the family farm with us and I started her out with .22s, eventually she got her own 9mm. Now 20 years later she has stated that she would like to really get familiar with ARs and go to the range with our teenager. She has fired them on occasion but no real intense training, other than safety of course.

My wife has had her permit from day one and received a lifetime when I got mine last year. Originally she got a permit because I worked part time at Bradis and I told her that pistols would be in the vehicle and she needed one. But she has never carried a pistol and chooses not to, which is fine with me.

So lastly, as the man of the house, we are expected to support, defend and provide for our families..... both by law and God. Let her know they will be in the house, safely locked up and she can either get familiarized for safety or have nothing to do with them.

If she is willing to do a range trip, then thats great. Make it informative, safe and fun. Start with .22s and go on from there.

Good luck and keep us posted,

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I've been a gun owner since april, and my wife was opposed to guns in the house due to her former married life. She is warming up to the idea of having her own someday. She has gone to the range a few times and tried all 3 of mine, a 9mm and 2 .380's. Says they are too much, so I am helping her decide on something that fits Her. Just be patient.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Cut out the 'Armed Citizen' page from American Riflman every month. There's enough stories there to wake anyone up.

You DO get American Rifleman don't you? Since I KNOW your an NRA member.

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    Here is my 2 cents worth-ignore the idiots who say ditch her. You know whether you love her or not, and obviously, you do. So, I`m gonna say you`re not going to leave her over a dispute over guns in the home.

That being said, you certainly can still influence her thinking concerning firearms. It will take some time, some consideration, and, amazingly, there are some good, thoughtful, thought provoking suggestions here. Contrary to what SOME have suggested, her thinking CAN be changed. It will just be dependent on you being willing to be considerate and understanding.

And, regardless of what some will try to tell you, it ultimately comes down to this. Yes, firearms ARE necessary. I completely believe they`re required to maintain a safe, secure, free, citizenry, but, it`s up to YOU to decide what you`ll accept in your relationship. Not any of these, (some?) well meaning folks here.

Good luck man.

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    But you have to admit, that's some pretty good foreplay. :thumbsup: :):

Fenway-I need to ask a huge favor of you-and wear hearing protection, because, you`ll be blasted with a roar of applause, so be prepared.

Posts such as these, as well as the signitute lines such as......he can shoot the dick off a.......are the reason I`m leaving your site.

You have a POTENTIALLY great site here. But.......I don`t do the stupid, nasty, mindless crap well at all. Sorry all, just MY opinion.

If someone sent MY wife a post like Pami got here, I`d be at the morons door and he`d be receiving extreme medical attention.

So, anyway, would you please kill my account, as well as any and all subscriptions to threads.

It`s a shame. You could have had a great thing here. It`s too bad it`s an "anything goes" kind of deal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Fenway-I need to ask a huge favor of you-and wear hearing protection, because, you`ll be blasted with a roar of applause, so be prepared.

Posts such as these, as well as the signitute lines such as......he can shoot the dick off a.......are the reason I`m leaving your site.

You have a POTENTIALLY great site here. But.......I don`t do the stupid, nasty, mindless crap well at all. Sorry all, just MY opinion.

If someone sent MY wife a post like Pami got here, I`d be at the morons door and he`d be receiving extreme medical attention.

So, anyway, would you please kill my account, as well as any and all subscriptions to threads.

It`s a shame. You could have had a great thing here. It`s too bad it`s an "anything goes" kind of deal.
    Oooh, they're dropping like flies. Who's next?

Top Bottom