• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    .40 is a pointless round. 1911's do suck for reliability unless you wanna pay for a custom handmade one, and I still wouldn't carry it for the simple reason it has a very limited round capacity. I want as many bullets in my fighting pistol as I can get without having obviously a drum or something sticking out of the magwel.

Listen to Yeager he's right whether it hurts your feel bads or not.

Lmao! Looks like I'll have to sell my G23 now. If only I had known that when I was purchasing it a couple years ago :(

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Tim, I felt this way about both the 1911 and the .40 before I ever even watched a James Yeager video. I love shooting a 1911 on a static range but I would never trust my life to one. If your looking for evidence you can read about many combat failures. James Yeager gives his own first hand knowledge based on what he has witnessed out if thousands of students. Ill trust him on that along with other facts.
    Also for the .40, I don't think it's terrible or not good enough to kill. I just think its like the red headed step child of the ammo world. Either use a .45 or use a 9mm. It's not practical. And there is plenty of non James Yeager evidence out there to back that up and you either know it or you need to do your homework.
    Now if your just wanting to use it because you personally like it then go for it. Lots of people think just because they shot at a rabbit once or stayed at a holiday inn that they are experts and can go teach self defense classes.
    I don't have a problem with people harming themselves with their own bad advice, just don't try to start convincing others that you know what your talking about or people with a platform like James Yeager are gonna call BS. That's why I like the guy so much. Because he is not afraid to speak up and doesn't care if guys like you start crying when he tells you the 1911 sucks in a combat or self defense application, and in the combined mindset of what you look for in a self defense round (capacity, recoil, accuracy, penetration, damage to flesh) the .40 is not the best option.
    Don't agree. That's fine. Love your .40, as long as yOU are happy that's great! For guys who fight or expect a fight like I think we all should, then keep your .40 and your 1911 in whatever caliber, to yourself.
    I'm not gonna walk up to anyone and say .... Oh is that a glock 22? That sucks and your an idiot. No.

It really is a matter of perspective. From where I sit, I see .40 S&W as one of the best rounds available today. It's a great compromise cartridge that comes close to the capacity of a 9mm without the limits of the light bullets you get in 9mm. It also comes close to the weight of a .45 ACP bullet, but without the cost of low capacity. Sure, the Glock 21 does a great job in terms of a high cap .45 but it's still a full size gun with the round count of a compact. I think 10mm is probably the best, no compromise round available but even the Glock 29 is still a bit chunky (carrying a G29 as I type this). The Glock 23 gives me the same capacity I get with my AR24K (CZ Clone) but with much better barrier performance if I should ever have to shoot through my windshield or whatever.

I've always taken issue with Yeager's stand on 1911s. Mine have all been near flawless and only present an issue when I've run well past the spring change interval. Any gun will do that though. Yeager goes off on compact 1911s based on his experience in their having trouble doing a 500 round course of fire with no issues. If they were having issues in the first 100, I'd say he has a point, but this is where he fails to think the issue through. A 500 round course of fire is something that happens only in training and the failures that he rails about are not broken parts, which would indicate a weakness in design, but failures due to lack of cleaning and lube. If we ever get to the point of having gun fights where one person puts 500 rounds downrange, then he might have a point. But saying 1911s are dangerous because they fail his test is like saying Glocks are dangerous because I cannot toss it in a fire and then dig it out of the ashes the next day and shoot it.

1911s are a complete class of gun that has many, many manufacturers as well as many types. There are the very low end guns that are not designed for daily carry, but are more for range fun. Then there are the high end guns that are very tight and have a significant break in period to allow the metal parts to mate for a level of smoothness you will never see in a production gun. The bulk occupy a place in the middle and are very capable of being carried daily. They are simple, robust and effective. The thing Yeager gets wrong is that he thinks it takes a tight, high end 1911 to be trustworthy. If anything, he has that backwards. A good carry gun tends to be on the loose side. Tight is great for small groups at 25 yards, but it can lead to iffy performance in dirty environments. The most common carry guns tend to be on the loose side, not the tight side. Glocks are loose as are Bersa's and many others. Yeager's point about 1911s makes me think that he does not truly understand the mechanics of pistols. That's all fine and well until he starts blasting the world with Youtube videos that churn up myths.

I'm really not a Yeager hater, and I do watch some of his videos, but you have to keep in mind what type of person he is and once you understand that he generally thinks in a single dimension, you can discard his BS and try to understand the point he is trying to get across.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    ive said it before and i will say it again, you dont have over 100 YEARS of military service around the world by being a POS pistol design......

there is a reason you dont see hi-points, jennings and calicos on the front line.

Top Bottom