• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    He's the often-controversial head of Tactical Response, a training outfit in Tennessee.

James Yeager | Tactical Response
    That, is a good description...
    James is a good friend of mine, and let me remind everyone, all Alpha Males are controversial to some degree.
    No, no they are not. Most are never heard of outside of the small communities they run in...
    Yeager is a good friend of mine. He is 100% GTG. He is a forceful, dynamic, opinionated person. There is a word for it, but INGO rules of engagement do not allow posting it on a family forum...

He was not in the military. He was LEO, from street cop, K9, SWAT to undercover. He served a tour in Iraq as a security contractor during the first elections. He has been in firefights. He is still alive. He is a training junkie, warrior and thus perpetual student as well. He owns Tactical Response. His material is solid.
    I served around him in Iraq...
    Based on what I seen there from him, I hope he has learned a lot.
    I know a lot of People who wear CIBs, CABs, and CARs. Does that make me or them special?! Nope just lucky...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I'm beginning to think you are Chuck Norris. :D But in all seriousness, what do you do for a living? If anyone is prepared for anything, you're that person. I'm just curious if your job has offered you any training that's helped you along. Feel free not to answer this, it is a rather personal question, I just thought I'd ask.

His day job is professional, dress shirts and khakis.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Which DVD are you referring to? The whole show?

He's known more for his training DVDs and classes than whatever this show was. Fighting Pistol was pretty good.

and how do you mean Yeager's been tossed up and down here several times?

Yaeger himself has been discussed quite a bit due to a video of him in combat being posted on Youtube a couple of years ago. Opinions on his tactics vary.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    He's known more for his training DVDs and classes than whatever this show was. Fighting Pistol was pretty good.

Yaeger himself has been discussed quite a bit due to a video of him in combat being posted on Youtube a couple of years ago. Opinions on his tactics vary.

Having never heard of him, I wanted to learn more and so after looking him up and scrolling through his "credentials" I'm just very inquisitive because a number of them turned up nothing on the internet except for his home page. Personally, I'd be iffy about paying for instruction from someone who seems so "controversial" and "unknown."....but to each their own I guess

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    understood, seems most instructors these days are pros at going to others people's classes or have never been in a gun fight.

Hard to know what's really good information or not.

I'm lucky enough to have started a job last year to work with several combat veterans. Makes for interesting daytime conversations ;)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    understood, seems most instructors these days are pros at going to others people's classes or have never been in a gun fight.

I'm lucky enough to have started a job last year to work with several combat veterans. Makes for interesting daytime conversations ;)

Yes, and that's where I'm at with my associates. Being combat vets we tend to stick to that frame of mind that "you can't teach what you haven't experienced." I'm gradually getting away from that more and more I communicate with civilian instructors who present themselves with thorough knowledge. I still look at everything in a "kill or be killed" mindset though when training and/or researching new theories and techniques with my colleagues. No one man has all the answers, and it is valuable to an instructor to attend others' courses. The hard part is selecting relevant courses in that, " I don't want to pay too much for something in the event I DON'T walk away with something other than practice." I enjoy learning and researching or practicing new techniques, but if I'm not actually going to learn something I haven't already, a $500+ course just turns out to be a BIG waste of money and time. That is the reason that I do pay attention to what is presented as course curriculum and instructors' "credentials." The other problem too is that you have to consider that not ALL instructors who have websites may be "well spoken" in communicating the extent of curriculum they cover, and so I do tend to see more value in the "credentials" sometimes. There are a few of instructors on here who I am familiar with their organizations, backgrounds, and a general idea of their curriculum. On the other hand there are a number whom don't necessarily ID themselves as instructors and so I don't know many of them.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    If you look around very much at all you will see a lot of good and bad about him for sure. I actually have a friend who was a contractor for a "well known" company tell me that his employer would not hire you if you had taken classes from Tactical Response. That being said, you can't judge all of the instructors based on what the opinions are for the man running the company. I have seen the video everyone talks about and really didn't notice anything from the one video that every bashes him over with the firefight. It may do anyone well to actually check into the company for theirself if they are wanting to take classes rather then just going by internet talk.:twocents:

As far as One Man Army goes the first episode I seen showed things the best. The super soldiers which a lot of the guys on the show advertise theirself as got beat handily by the guy who never served one day in the military. That right there shows you that just because someone was in the military doesn't make them any better then a dedicated individual who pushes theirself to the limits.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I have only talked to one person who actually took a Tactical Response class and he did not recommend it. I am still curious about them and would probably consider one of their classes.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have only talked to one person who actually took a Tactical Response class and he did not recommend it. I am still curious about them and would probably consider one of their classes.

I have thought about taking one here in Indiana. I won't let all opinions discourage me from that if the instructor seems good. There is one of their classes they offer that I have been interested in but timing has been bad lately but if/after I take it I will decide on future classes from them. Anybody can get put off by something and not like it but as long as its kept safe and quality instruction I am up for giving it a try.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008

Not a dig but i have been in classes with, taught or taken from combat vets

some couldn't teach a 5 year old to tie there shoes, some couldn't give examples of how things worked in day to day life outside of the mil applications, other couldnt shoot to save there ass in a closet
    or so closed minded it was this way or this way period

that said i have had the same from some other instructors as well......

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

some couldn't teach a 5 year old to tie there shoes, some couldn't give examples of how things worked in day to day life outside of the mil applications, other couldnt shoot to save there ass in a closet

Agreed, you do get some of those qualities in instructors from all walks of life. To be a trainer it takes a certain level of "people skills" and communication to be able to explain things in a manner anyone can understand, as well as a willingness to understand other ideas and learn new things. This combination is something that a lot of people don't have and especially vets who go straight into teaching civilians while they are still getting acquainted with the civilian lifestyle again. It's been a difficult change even for me and I'm a pretty professional/intelligent guy. That being said too, you have to be careful with those claiming to be vets. I have seen/came across many people claiming to be all sorts of things that they were not. Unfortunately, you are very restricted to be able to find out that information on someone and have to take their word for it most of the time. Those who are vets can usually "tell" through various manurisms, choices in speech,etc...but for an average person who's not been around it extensivley it's not easy to tell who is a vet and who is not. Hell, I had people coming up and talking to me thinking I was a Marine at 17, before I ever even became a Marine lol

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Forgive my ignorance. Why is James Yeager and Tactical Response controversal? It is purely training methods and techniques or is there other reasons as well?

from what I'm gathering, he never served in the military...only taken numerous civilian/LE training courses and spent a tour with a government contractor in Iraq....durin which his team apparently got into a fire fight, some of which was video taped, and his "tactics" during said fire fight are very controversial.........indicating he is not as skilled as he claims to be.....of course this is what I'm gathering from here and internet research and have not yet viewed the video of said fire fight yet to apply my :twocents:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

roger that, I've run in to those types as well.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you look around very much at all you will see a lot of good and bad about him for sure. I actually have a friend who was a contractor for a "well known" company tell me that his employer would not hire you if you had taken classes from Tactical Response. That being said, you can't judge all of the instructors based on what the opinions are for the man running the company. I have seen the video everyone talks about and really didn't notice anything from the one video that every bashes him over with the firefight. It may do anyone well to actually check into the company for theirself if they are wanting to take classes rather then just going by internet talk.:twocents:

Have you read the AARs (ERSM, Mr Yeagers, and the ones from the Other Team Members) that go along with that Video?!
    Do you know the TTP's that were in force at the time of the Video?!

There was a LOT done wrong by everyone that was on the Team. Mr Yeager owns his fair share of that as well.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Crappy Instructors are everywhere, regardless of whether they are Mil, Veteran, or never served.

Top Bottom