• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    They've taken a lot of training and opened up a business of training new shooters, based on what they've learned. They do a good job of bringing in a crop of new shooters from the NutnFancy generation by embracing social media and there is nothing wrong with that, it's actually pretty smart business.

But most of us here are experienced shooters... and take the same classes they do. If you want to be a youtube fanboy and train with them, it's all good, helll you might end up in a video. I've trained under Coach and Glock21 (Fortress Defense Consultants) here in Indiana and would recommend them to anyone here, their skill and experience are top notch.
    That's what a lot of people fail to realize or notice. Each instructor attracts a certain demographic of people. Some intend to and others probably don't even think about it. Many go for new shooters because its realistically the largest sector of the market, especially at this point in time.

Then certain personas such as JY simply aren't attractive to some certain demographics of people. That's not to say if someone doesn't like a certain instructor they don't have good information to share, but their willingness to listen to them, much less pay to do so, will dwindle if they don't care for them in some way.

Personally, I like to target non-gun owners, violent crime victims, and youth. Mainly because I study many different human sciences, especially psychology. Working with these demographics allows me to study and research a little more "hands on" and in depth, particularly with the non-gun owner segment. It teaches me a lot which I can use personally as well as professionally, but even more importantly it helps me to become a much more effective and efficient communcator by better understanding how people think, their reasoning, how they form their perspectives, etc. Of course, I don't make any money with this segment, but I'm not a "professional" instructor or even interested in making money at it for that matter. I just enjoy it.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Hey, my apologies gents... It was late last night and I turned into a troll. Please don't get angry at any of my misplaced comments as an attack on anyone's integrity. Again, I would like this post to serve as an apology to the whole of INGO.

Rep'd. It takes class to publicly admit a mistake.

*picks mic back up and politely hands it to you* :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm can confirm Cory, Erika and Mr. Yeager are fine YouTubers. I subscribe to their channels. I'll likely never know how they are as instructors due to their range safety philosophy which differs drastically from mine.

Cory07ink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indiana
    First few? Thats a LIE!! Ive only ran one IDPA match. And Erika and i both took our SLOW sweet time because it was our first one. So I hope to GOD you beat me if you have been shooting IDPA that long and on top of that with a RACE gun.. I ran a stock glock and ran each stage slow to get the feel for IDPA. I believe even going slow I still placed #1 in the stock guns. Also i was talking about Terre Haute area.

I can do loud and obnoxious pretty well.

I cannot prove it (don't know if the scores are still around) but I beat Cory in one of my first three IDPA matches.

I am hosting a women's event in Terre Haute this coming Sunday. There is training around. I am going to call those comments marketing. JY does not a thing or two about marketing.

Cory07ink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indiana
    Not much in Terre Haute area.

A training void? In central Indiana? I have to disagree there.

In addition to the buttload of local instructors like ACT, BFT, Mindset Lab, Boone County Sheriff's Dept Gunsite Courses, Cory and Erika, Suarez International and the eleventy bajillion who advertise on this forum who aren't coming to mind right now, we have a bunch who travel through. Off the top of my head, I can think of several big names who travel through with some frequency. Several of them come at least annually.

John Farnam
    Louis Awerbuck
    DTI
    Doc Gunn
    Travis Hailey (hosted by Cory and Erika)
    Todd Green
    Massad Ayoob
    Shiv Works
    Pat Rogers

I'm sure there are others I'm leaving out. I'm just not sure I see the void.

Cory07ink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indiana
    I only ran in one match. And took it SLOW to get the feel. We did not go in to win anything. Just to see what it was about. Having said that i did place well in my class. First i think. I didnt run a race gun like some. We just wanted to have fun.

I like Coach, have taken a class or two from him, recommend them to others, and offered to help out with his events. However, Im not sure a better IDPA score is the best measure of who offers the better class. I have never met Cory. So, I can't speak to his classes or his teaching. It doesn't look to me like they are necessarily marketing to the same parts of the shooting community. Or maybe they are, but appear to be reaching different parts of it.

jaschutz79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I only ran in one match. And took it SLOW to get the feel. We did not go in to win anything. Just to see what it was about. Having said that i did place well in my class. First i think. I didnt run a race gun like some. We just wanted to have fun.

Cory...do you compete in any of the shooting sports? If so, what is your stance on competition in regards to aiding or hurting in a self defense situation?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    First few? Thats a LIE!! Ive only ran one IDPA match. And Erika and i both took our SLOW sweet time because it was our first one. So I hope to GOD you beat me if you have been shooting IDPA that long and on top of that with a RACE gun.. I ran a stock glock and ran each stage slow to get the feel for IDPA. I believe even going slow I still placed #1 in the stock guns. Also i was talking about Terre Haute area.
    Coach is a USPSA guy that iirc only rather recently joined IDPA. I have no doubt the match you attended was one of his first.

When did they start allowing RACE guns in IDPA??
    The don't. Unless you don't know what you're talking about and consider a "custom defensive pistol" a "race gun".

Driving my civic quickly doesn't make it a "race car".

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

Fast, slow, win, lose... Makes no difference to me. I was trying to say I don't judge the value of an instructor by his IDPA score. As far as the training void, if the area immediately around Terre Haute has a strong enough training market to require multiple instructors, I think that's great. Do most of your students come from the immediate area around Terre Haute? I would have expected that you were competing with most of the other training venues in central Indiana, or at least west-central Indiana.

If the number of people seeking firearms training has gotten to the point where we are segregating the market by city rather than area, state, or multi-state region, that is a good sign.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Coach is a USPSA guy that iirc only rather recently joined IDPA. I have no doubt the match you attended was one of his first.

The don't. Unless you don't know what you're talking about and consider a "custom defensive pistol" a "race gun".

Nothing says RACE gun like a 100+ year old design with 8rd mags. :laugh:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Nothing says RACE gun like a 100+ year old design with 8rd mags. :laugh:

"No fair! He used a race car!!"

s1_1.jpg

Fun fact: ^ that car was designed in 1911. ;)

Cory07ink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indiana
    I think competition is a great option. If i had the time I would do it. I have class booked every weekend and most all Mondays and Tuesdays. I just cant make any.

Cory...do you compete in any of the shooting sports? If so, what is your stance on competition in regards to aiding or hurting in a self defense situation?

Last edited:

Cory07ink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indiana
    We haven't been able to do anything other than the one IDPA match. I'd love to try IPSC or USPSA. We had a lot of fun. But with 2 classes each week. We spend most of our time teaching and traveling to take classes. As for a race gun, i only mean i showed up with a stock Glock with a stock trigger. A carry type setup. Not a match gun.

Top Bottom