• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I needed some welding work done on the door opening of my outdoor wood boiler, so I contacted a guy with a mobile welding service. He rolled in the driveway with an old Jeep Comanche pick up.

When he got out of his truck I told him I could already tell that he's a very good welder.

He asked, how I could tell?

I said, cause you manage to keep the frame of a late 80s Jeep in one piece.:laugh:

Wonder if the new one will come with an on board welder option package for the inevitable.:popcorn:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Hey, I like my Fiat! (Ram 1500)

I like my Fiat too.

PECpw2O.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    They will sell a million of these. The number of Jeeps that are used for actual off-roading that would actually require a Jeep is probably barely large enough to sustain production. I've always thought that Wranglers were cool looking, but completely useless for my needs. This new truck is actually useful, and in my opinion, looks pretty dang cool. Who else out there has a convertible pickup with the heritage of the Jeep name? Jeep enthusiasts may be split on this one, but that's not the point. This truck will being new customers into the Jeep brand. Fiat quality is the only fly in the ointment.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Anyone that doesn't think Jeeps sell well or hold their value can find a good quality used one with low miles that's a reasonable price. Yeah, they're expensive and yeah you're more likely to get hit by lightning than to find a good used one for a steal. We have looked for a used jeep in good condition for two years following a family vacation with the kids in the back of a rental jeep with the top down and everyone absolutely loving it. I've never bought a new vehicle in my life until this year when I bought a jeep, and the only reason I bought a new one was because for what the used ones cost I figured I may as well get a new one. As an investment, all vehicles are terrible, but jeeps, 4x4's, harley's, john deere anything seem to hold their value better.

If this pickup came out 5 years ago and they had the bugs worked out of it or at least some of them already I'd have bought the truck instead of the JL jeep. I went from a crew cab pickup to this jeep and the biggest thing holding me back was loosing a truck bed and going back to an SUV. Everyone acts like pickups are used like rock trucks all the time and that's the farthest thing removed from what 99% of the trucks I see on the road are getting used for. I loved my old truck for getting some garden dirt (this jeep JT can do that), bringing home lumber from Lowes (this jeep JT can do that), throwing a bloody deer in the bed (this jeep JT can do that), tossing kayaks and muddy gear in the bed (this jeep JT can do that), hauling a generator to family's house with plenty of fuel (this jeep JT can do that). I don't look at the jeep and see a whole lot it can't do.

I'm new to the Jeep thing, but I'm loving it. Having said all that, I'd love to see them get some real competition and that may be coming sooner rather than later. Check out this article on the Mahindra Jeep knockoff: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/t...rfCUQ6n9TzzMTjU9gSQaMeyy7-XXGvxSAC1qF2prrHVIM I hope this starts a tidal wave of affordable vehicles being imported into the US. Personally I still have my fingers crossed that the '72 K5 blazer will somehow make a come back but I can't hold my breath for that any longer.

So yeah, jeep rolled out a mid sized truck that's a little off roadish, takes the top & doors off of, and is basically the same size as a tacoma, hummer truck, or a chevy colorado. If you don't want one don't buy one. Personally, I see that new JT vehicle and my mind goes crazy with all the outdoors stuff I'd do in that thing and the good times I'd have. Then ago I don't haul around rocks and liquid lava in my pickup so maybe I just don't use them tough enough LOL.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't understand the Jeep thing either:n00b:. They look cool then you get in one. Terrible in every way and the same price as the v8 super crew long bed f150 I bought.....doesn't make sense to me at all. :noway:
    I knew after driving after brand new ones, 4 doors and 2 doors, that jeeps werent for me. Not comfortable or good driving at all, for me. Would I own one strictly for taking offroad? Maybe

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    But can you take the doors off, take the top off, and even swap out the hardtop for a softtop?

No. But the window defoggers will work, the cabin noise will register several decibels lower than a John Deere tractor, and it will handle much like a truck. Instead of a top heavy double-decker bus on ice skates.:coffee:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Anyone that doesn't think Jeeps sell well or hold their value can find a good quality used one with low miles that's a reasonable price. Yeah, they're expensive and yeah you're more likely to get hit by lightning than to find a good used one for a steal. We have looked for a used jeep in good condition for two years following a family vacation with the kids in the back of a rental jeep with the top down and everyone absolutely loving it. I've never bought a new vehicle in my life until this year when I bought a jeep, and the only reason I bought a new one was because for what the used ones cost I figured I may as well get a new one. As an investment, all vehicles are terrible, but jeeps, 4x4's, harley's, john deere anything seem to hold their value better.

If this pickup came out 5 years ago and they had the bugs worked out of it or at least some of them already I'd have bought the truck instead of the JL jeep. I went from a crew cab pickup to this jeep and the biggest thing holding me back was loosing a truck bed and going back to an SUV. Everyone acts like pickups are used like rock trucks all the time and that's the farthest thing removed from what 99% of the trucks I see on the road are getting used for. I loved my old truck for getting some garden dirt (this jeep JT can do that), bringing home lumber from Lowes (this jeep JT can do that), throwing a bloody deer in the bed (this jeep JT can do that), tossing kayaks and muddy gear in the bed (this jeep JT can do that), hauling a generator to family's house with plenty of fuel (this jeep JT can do that). I don't look at the jeep and see a whole lot it can't do.

I'm new to the Jeep thing, but I'm loving it. Having said all that, I'd love to see them get some real competition and that may be coming sooner rather than later. Check out this article on the Mahindra Jeep knockoff: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/t...rfCUQ6n9TzzMTjU9gSQaMeyy7-XXGvxSAC1qF2prrHVIM I hope this starts a tidal wave of affordable vehicles being imported into the US. Personally I still have my fingers crossed that the '72 K5 blazer will somehow make a come back but I can't hold my breath for that any longer.

So yeah, jeep rolled out a mid sized truck that's a little off roadish, takes the top & doors off of, and is basically the same size as a tacoma, hummer truck, or a chevy colorado. If you don't want one don't buy one. Personally, I see that new JT vehicle and my mind goes crazy with all the outdoors stuff I'd do in that thing and the good times I'd have. Then ago I don't haul around rocks and liquid lava in my pickup so maybe I just don't use them tough enough LOL.

I had understood that the Mahindra would not be approved for on road usage in the US. Is that incorrect?

Personally, I'd like to see Toyota bring back a retro FJ 40 type of vehicle again. Doubt it will happen. Haven't been keeping up with whether the Ford Bronco coming out will be a retro model or not.

Here's a mashup someone did with an FJ Cruiser and an FJ 40 FJ-40 Cruiser

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The Mahindra is not approved for legal use on roads yet, but they're working on it. I just read something about it today for the first time, but it's pretty fascinating that they've been licensed to build the willy's jeep since the 40's and for the most part that's what they're doing. They come governed at 45mph tops, but apparently one swap of a computer chip and you can run at highway speeds.

There's a lot of old cool vehicles that I wish they'd bring back. My heart goes to the K5 blazer, but an FJ 40 would definitely get a smile and wave from me on the road.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I had understood that the Mahindra would not be approved for on road usage in the US. Is that incorrect?

Personally, I'd like to see Toyota bring back a retro FJ 40 type of vehicle again. Doubt it will happen. Haven't been keeping up with whether the Ford Bronco coming out will be a retro model or not.

Here's a mashup someone did with an FJ Cruiser and an FJ 40 FJ-40 Cruiser

I know the people at Toyota are smarter than me but it blows my mind why they haven't came out with a new FJ40 type vehicle and claimed there share of this market that Jeep has all to itself.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I know the people at Toyota are smarter than me but it blows my mind why they haven't came out with a new FJ40 type vehicle and claimed there share of this market that Jeep has all to itself.

The problem with all those awesome old vehicles is that the guys who drew them up, engineered them, and produced them are long since retired. It's an era that will never be back and that sucks. If K5's were on the market I'd have never bought the jeep.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No. But the window defoggers will work, the cabin noise will register several decibels lower than a John Deere tractor, and it will handle much like a truck. Instead of a top heavy double-decker bus on ice skates.:coffee:
    Have you driven a newer Jeep? My wife's JK is quieter than the Saturn Vue it replaced. It handles just fine (she drives it, not me). It is an order of magnitude more "civilized" than my pickup truck. Absolutely nothing like my old TJ.

Defoggers and heated seats work just fine. :)

As a matter of fact, the cushy-ness of the JK is a point of contention with REAL Jeep owners. The JL, even more so. Jeeps weren't supposed to be this nice.

Top Bottom