• ...and so much more!
  • Guardian65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2018
    Kokomo
    Jeep truck!!!

Anyone that doesn't think Jeeps sell well or hold their value can find a good quality used one with low miles that's a reasonable price. Yeah, they're expensive and yeah you're more likely to get hit by lightning than to find a good used one for a steal. We have looked for a used jeep in good condition for two years following a family vacation with the kids in the back of a rental jeep with the top down and everyone absolutely loving it. I've never bought a new vehicle in my life until this year when I bought a jeep, and the only reason I bought a new one was because for what the used ones cost I figured I may as well get a new one. As an investment, all vehicles are terrible, but jeeps, 4x4's, harley's, john deere anything seem to hold their value better.

If this pickup came out 5 years ago and they had the bugs worked out of it or at least some of them already I'd have bought the truck instead of the JL jeep. I went from a crew cab pickup to this jeep and the biggest thing holding me back was loosing a truck bed and going back to an SUV. Everyone acts like pickups are used like rock trucks all the time and that's the farthest thing removed from what 99% of the trucks I see on the road are getting used for. I loved my old truck for getting some garden dirt (this jeep JT can do that), bringing home lumber from Lowes (this jeep JT can do that), throwing a bloody deer in the bed (this jeep JT can do that), tossing kayaks and muddy gear in the bed (this jeep JT can do that), hauling a generator to family's house with plenty of fuel (this jeep JT can do that). I don't look at the jeep and see a whole lot it can't do.

I'm new to the Jeep thing, but I'm loving it. Having said all that, I'd love to see them get some real competition and that may be coming sooner rather than later. Check out this article on the Mahindra Jeep knockoff: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/t...rfCUQ6n9TzzMTjU9gSQaMeyy7-XXGvxSAC1qF2prrHVIM I hope this starts a tidal wave of affordable vehicles being imported into the US. Personally I still have my fingers crossed that the '72 K5 blazer will somehow make a come back but I can't hold my breath for that any longer.

So yeah, jeep rolled out a mid sized truck that's a little off roadish, takes the top & doors off of, and is basically the same size as a tacoma, hummer truck, or a chevy colorado. If you don't want one don't buy one. Personally, I see that new JT vehicle and my mind goes crazy with all the outdoors stuff I'd do in that thing and the good times I'd have. Then ago I don't haul around rocks and liquid lava in my pickup so maybe I just don't use them tough enough LOL.

I think Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat will have a significant hit on their hands with this new Jeep Truck. Great innovation!!!! Moving forward while GM closes plants ..

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat will have a significant hit on their hands with this new Jeep Truck. Great innovation!!!! Moving forward while GM closes plants ..

FCA is doing pretty good overall. The Challenger is outselling the Mustang and the Camaro, their trucks don't have the most market share but they are working on that. Last month they were up 44% over same period last year and overall sales are up this year.

GM, however, is probably making a good move. They are spending too much money on under performing sedans that don't grab much market share. I would just as soon see them focus on what people are buying. Trucks, SUV's and in the future, much to my chagrin, EV's. JMEO.:)

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    FCA is doing pretty good overall. The Challenger is outselling the Mustang and the Camaro, their trucks don't have the most market share but they are working on that. Last month they were up 44% over same period last year and overall sales are up this year.

GM, however, is probably making a good move. They are spending too much money on under performing sedans that don't grab much market share. I would just as soon see them focus on what people are buying. Trucks, SUV's and in the future, much to my chagrin, EV's. JMEO.:)

FCA does have the advantage that they currently have 5 sedans, including Maserati. 300, Charger, Guila, Ghibli & Quattroporte.

GM cut more sedans than FCA makes. I’ve been annoyed with Ford’s decision and I think it’ll bite them if gas jumps for any reason, GM is keeping some sedans for now. But as I type this, FCA has been doing this business model for awhile. Jeep & Ram are the cash cows and the sedan languish with long model lives.

Back on thread, I love the idea of the Jeep Gladiator. If it really is the size of the Tacoma, as pictured up thread, I could very well end up with one down the road. Convertible, bed space, not massive? Checks the boxes pretty well for me. I have no use for a full size truck and can’t stand the Tacoma/Colorado.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    FCA does have the advantage that they currently have 5 sedans, including Maserati. 300, Charger, Guila, Ghibli & Quattroporte.

GM cut more sedans than FCA makes. I’ve been annoyed with Ford’s decision and I think it’ll bite them if gas jumps for any reason, GM is keeping some sedans for now. But as I type this, FCA has been doing this business model for awhile. Jeep & Ram are the cash cows and the sedan languish with long model lives...

We had a rented Malibu for a couple of weeks recently. That's the loan non-subcompact to survive for Chevy. It's a fine, basic car.

As for FCA, as much as I want to bash them at times, that is mostly historical, not based upon current product. I rented a 300 on business and liked it a lot. Also, I just bought a 2018 Pacifica and that is the top of its class, even with Honda just redesigning the Odyssey.

The 3.6L Pentastar- we had that in our 2012 T&C and have the latest version in the Pacifica. That's a good engine.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We had a rented Malibu for a couple of weeks recently. That's the loan non-subcompact to survive for Chevy. It's a fine, basic car.

As for FCA, as much as I want to bash them at times, that is mostly historical, not based upon current product. I rented a 300 on business and liked it a lot. Also, I just bought a 2018 Pacifica and that is the top of its class, even with Honda just redesigning the Odyssey.

The 3.6L Pentastar- we had that in our 2012 T&C and have the latest version in the Pacifica. That's a good engine.

Chrysler has had a rocky history and some really worthless owners.

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown
    As for FCA, as much as I want to bash them at times, that is mostly historical, not based upon current product. I rented a 300 on business and liked it a lot.

I rented a 300 once for work in Chicago with snow on the roads. It had all the traction of a scared black kitten on an ice rink during a hockey game. It was quite the experience. :twocents: :noway:. They are nice to look at though... through a chain link fence... padlocked.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I rented a 300 once for work in Chicago with snow on the roads. It had all the traction of a scared black kitten on an ice rink during a hockey game. It was quite the experience. :twocents: :noway:. They are nice to look at though... through a chain link fence... padlocked.

Well, i was in LA at the time....and the are available AWD.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

$5 says it was the tires more than the car.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Chrysler has had a rocky history and some really worthless owners.

Chrysler has had a rocky history mainly because of worthless owners. Daimler came in and drained every penny they could. Our plant couldn't get parts to repair our machines and many were stripped to keep others running. Our dies were completely shot and we couldn't rebuild them. Cerberus came in and the only good thing they did was shove the Tipton plant directly up Daimler's ass. See, Daimler had this plan to dump all this money into Tipton, have Chrysler build their transmissions and get fat on royalties. Cerberus stopped that idea.

FCA has actually been good to us and for us.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Chrysler has had a rocky history mainly because of worthless owners. Daimler came in and drained every penny they could. Our plant couldn't get parts to repair our machines and many were stripped to keep others running. Our dies were completely shot and we couldn't rebuild them. Cerberus came in and the only good thing they did was shove the Tipton plant directly up Daimler's ass. See, Daimler had this plan to dump all this money into Tipton, have Chrysler build their transmissions and get fat on royalties. Cerberus stopped that idea.

FCA has actually been good to us and for us.

That is the first positive thing I think I’ve heard abyeone say about Cerberus.

Top Bottom