• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My 2004 (automatic) Tj has been having some slipping when shifting, mostly when cold. It's gotten more noticeable lately...now that it is getting cold out again. We changed fluid, and tried some Lucas, helped for a while. Did a change again last weekend, and isn't any better. I live in Cass County, and i've heard that a couple of the shops around here will keep the vehicle for months. I can't afford that- i have to get to work. I did get an estimate from one place that i believe i can trust to install a rebuilt transmission with a 3-year, unlimited mile warranty, sounds like they could get it done in a very reasonable amount of time. It is gonna be a big bill though, around $2000, so i figured i'd better check around.
    Thoughts or recommendations? I don't think i'm going to be able to continue to baby it and make it last through the winter, as i had hoped. :(

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Change the fluid again and sell it & buy a stick or a non-dodge auto (let the new owner know about the trouble).

(Not what you want to hear)
    We had the trans rebuild in out 1995 Jeep GC, it lasted about 60K went out again, we sold it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If you were here in NWI id do it through my shop with lifetime warranty for $1800. Trans is definitely done though by your description. Don't like the trans additives though, just mask a problem and lets the customer drive long enough to cause more damage

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Cindy, I'll explain it to you .....

You have rubber "o" rings, around aluminum "pistons".

these get hard, with many miles of use,

when it is cold these "o" rings shrink, letting fluid under pressure,

pass by, NOT applying whatever gear .....

As the fluid warms up, these "o" rings, begin to soften,

and then they begin to work "properly".....

A rebuild, or another transmission, is the ONLY fix .....

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you were here in NWI id do it through my shop with lifetime warranty for $1800. Trans is definitely done though by your description. Don't like the trans additives though, just mask a problem and lets the customer drive long enough to cause more damage

Where is your shop? You can PM is instead of in the open forum.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

Where are you located? I would consider it, for a good warranty and a reputable shop. My husband was calling around, and got an estimate too good to be true from a shop in Valpo, said they'd come and get it.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Trade-in probably isn't an option, as we want to avoid payments. Husband keeps saying "cheaper to keep her". Yes, i kinda wish it was a manual transmission. When we were looking for a Jeep, i had my heart set on the 6cyl, and couldn't find any decent ones with a manual. I was kinda neutral on the type of tranny i wanted...get it...lol. Most of my vehicles over the years have been manuals, but they are getting harder to come by.
    I don't put lots of miles on my vehicles, and we keep up on the maintenance. Jeeps fit my needs and lifestyle. Yeah, i know, it's a Chrysler product. The company I work for is a Chrysler supplier (not transmissions!), so i could get a discount if i wanted to buy new, but husband would freak.
    Right now, i'd like to find a shop with a good reputation, good warranty, and one that won't keep my Jeep longer than maybe a week. I've heard horror stories. Anything in Kokomo or Lafayette?

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    With that little of time frame, your best bet is to find a place that will get you a rebuilt unit and get it in, honestly I've taken the transmission out of my wrangler I used to have and replaced the clutch and put it back in in 1 day. Usually not the case with a normal shop that has big overhead costs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm surprised the 4 cylinder wore out the transmission, unless oversized tires or driven while low on fluid and burnt up. One of the few civilian jobs I ever had was at a car dealership with a Jeep franchise, and the 4 cyl and 4.0 Jeeps were pretty stout in the drive train. The V8 Jeeps ate through transmissions, but not the smaller motors. That's been a day or two ago, though.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm surprised the 4 cylinder wore out the transmission, unless oversized tires or driven while low on fluid and burnt up. One of the few civilian jobs I ever had was at a car dealership with a Jeep franchise, and the 4 cyl and 4.0 Jeeps were pretty stout in the drive train. The V8 Jeeps ate through transmissions, but not the smaller motors. That's been a day or two ago, though.

No, mine is the 6 cyl 4.0.
    I used to have a 1993 Grand Cherokee Limited with a V8, that thing was a tank, it was on it's 3rd motor when i got it, but it had well over 200,000 miles on it at that time. It was a 1-owner, by the time i got it, most everything had already been replaced.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No, mine is the 6 cyl 4.0.
    I used to have a 1993 Grand Cherokee Limited with a V8, that thing was a tank, it was on it's 3rd motor when i got it, but it had well over 200,000 miles on it at that time. It was a 1-owner, by the time i got it, most everything had already been replaced.

Those are great motors. I used to see 200k+ miles coming in for nothing more than oil changes pretty routinely. I'd not be scared to put a new/rebuilt transmission in it and go on the way. That assumes it's still relatively stock. Big tires and lift kits are rougher on suspension components and the drive train. IIRC, most of the wear items on the suspension/steering are relatively cheap on the Wrangler, but again I'm about 16 years out of date on the matter.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Those are great motors. I used to see 200k+ miles coming in for nothing more than oil changes pretty routinely. I'd not be scared to put a new/rebuilt transmission in it and go on the way. That assumes it's still relatively stock. Big tires and lift kits are rougher on suspension components and the drive train. IIRC, most of the wear items on the suspension/steering are relatively cheap on the Wrangler, but again I'm about 16 years out of date on the matter.

It is mostly stock. No lift kit, slightly bigger tires than stock. It is the Columbia package, if that makes a difference. A little rust on one fender. Needs a new muffler. It's been a good vehicle for me.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Another option if you or some friends are handy enough. Is go to a salvage yard and get a used one. I have done that for two vehicles I have had. A 96 Blazer that I flipped for profit, and my 96 S10 ZR2 that is my daily driver. What you look for is a compatible donor vehicle that has been wrecked. Because then you know it was being driven when it crashed. Then you check the fluid on the dip stick to see if it looks and smells burned. If it just smells like fluid and is a pretty clear red color its a good tranny. You can also quickly drop the pan and if there is only a little bit of trash in the Bottom (kinds Normal for most) you have a good tranny. Good luck!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Geeze, $1800 for a rebuild? What are the terms on that lifetime warranty?

Another option if you or some friends are handy enough. Is go to a salvage yard and get a used one. I have done that for two vehicles I have had. A 96 Blazer that I flipped for profit, and my 96 S10 ZR2 that is my daily driver. What you look for is a compatible donor vehicle that has been wrecked. Because then you know it was being driven when it crashed. Then you check the fluid on the dip stick to see if it looks and smells burned. If it just smells like fluid and is a pretty clear red color its a good tranny. You can also quickly drop the pan and if there is only a little bit of trash in the Bottom (kinds Normal for most) you have a good tranny. Good luck!

This is an easy answer for something like a blazer or grand cherokee (I've done it with mine). But Wranglers aren't something you find many of in the junk yards or being parted out. They resell like they're made of gold.

OP, you're looking at a rebuild at some point. Have you adjusted the bands yet? I did a fluid drain, new filter and adjusted the bands on my slipping 42re and I've been driving on it for 25,000 miles - but it was extremely low on fluid when I got it.

Top Bottom