• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i'm sure everyone will scream snake oil....this has worked in quite a few trans i have put it in......might buy you some time till you get something else and your only out much only 12 buc's not $1800.00.....:twocents:

Transmission Fix

Yep- we did exactly that, it seemed to help it last time. I had hoped it would help this time, it might, now that the fluid level is correct!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've had the tranny rebuilt in my '95 4.0 ZJ once at 160k. The '99 4.0 TJ tranny has been flawless (it's a 3 speed).

They are very finicky. I baby them and change fluid often. Definitely use what the book calls for. Should be ATF+4.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    So you have "Doctored" it up once already.

yep, if you mean adding Lucas when changing the ATF. I mentioned that in the first post, wasn't trying to mislead anyone. Both times when we drained it, the fluid looked dirty, but no shavings or anything. After numerous google searches, I'm really torn between thinking it has a problem, or maybe just nature of the beast.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    yep, if you mean adding Lucas when changing the ATF. I mentioned that in the first post, wasn't trying to mislead anyone. Both times when we drained it, the fluid looked dirty, but no shavings or anything. After numerous google searches, I'm really torn between thinking it has a problem, or maybe just nature of the beast.

The nature of these beasts IS a problem. I had 5 this time last year. I'm down to one now and it's a "field" vehicle I use around the place. I am not going to plate it again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

It seems you are not seeing it for what it is. We never "Want" to spend $1800 on a trans. rebuild but if it is dumping dirty every time you have a definite issue. That is clutch/band material in the fluid. Metal would be bearings etc. Doctoring it will only kick the can down the road a bit farther and you have already "Juiced" it up so that was your shot.

Trans in my 97 Yuckon started acting up around 85K. I had abused it so it was expected. I juiced it up (steroids...:):) with a fluid change and got another 10K out of it. That was it.
    Put a junk yard piece in it until I decided what to do with it. $1750 to rebuild it at the time (2006) so I was considering trading.
    Junk yard jewel let go on the interstate marooning the spouse. No more denial allowed.....off to the shop. Had the original re-built and put back in.
    Truck had 160 plus on it when it left us.
    When the fluid is crappy that is your indicator. A change will buy you time only. It will not replace the material you see in the fluid.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It seems you are not seeing it for what it is. We never "Want" to spend $1800 on a trans. rebuild but if it is dumping dirty every time you have a definite issue. That is clutch/band material in the fluid. Metal would be bearings etc. Doctoring it will only kick the can down the road a bit farther and you have already "Juiced" it up so that was your shot.

Trans in my 97 Yuckon started acting up around 85K. I had abused it so it was expected. I juiced it up (steroids...:):) with a fluid change and got another 10K out of it. That was it.
    Put a junk yard piece in it until I decided what to do with it. $1750 to rebuild it at the time (2006) so I was considering trading.
    Junk yard jewel let go on the interstate marooning the spouse. No more denial allowed.....off to the shop. Had the original re-built and put back in.
    Truck had 160 plus on it when it left us.
    When the fluid is crappy that is your indicator. A change will buy you time only. It will not replace the material you see in the fluid.

I've things get worse after a change, too. Crap in the fluid must provide extra pressure for shifts or something. People blame the fluid change for the problem, but it doesnt make the transmission junk, it just shows it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I was always told that the worse thing you can do is flush and change the transmission fluid. It will just cause problems to a healthy transmission.

Dunno if that's true. Is it?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I was always told that the worse thing you can do is flush and change the transmission fluid. It will just cause problems to a healthy transmission.

Dunno if that's true. Is it?

No. People say that because they flush their tranny and then it starts acting up. But the tranny wasn't healthy, it just didn't present symptoms. It would have in 10k miles or so. Best thing to do is follow mfg recommended fluid service intervals with appropriate lubricants.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The trans in my wife's Saturn needs flushed every 15K miles or so. It is PICKY on the health of the fluid. Even a little discolored, and it starts shifting odd. Probably because it doesn't have a filter. So, every 4th oil change or so...

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    With the miles you have on it a band adjustment is merely a band-aid.

I've got 25k miles out of this band-aid so far. Up to 185k on a poorly treated transmission now. I've got a used one waiting around in a parts jeep for when this one finally quits, but it keeps on ticking.

More than likely the same tranny sits behind several Chrysler products. Tranny in my ZR2 is a 4L60E It sits behind just about all RWD GM products. I believe there is a heavier duty model the 4L80E I believe and it goes in more heavy duty applications. All the OP needs to do is get one from a 4WD Chrysler product. Cherokees would be the best bet because they will more than likely bolt right in. The OP should get on a Jeep Forum and ask which vehicles would be compatible. But the other thing if that route is taken ALWAYS put a new torque converter in, if not one is dumping around 2 quarts of burned up fluid back into a decent tranny.

Jeep transmissions are tough. Hard to find a compatible one. Usually has to be the same generation, same motor size, etc.

My transmission is the 42rle. Seems that transmission doesn't have adjustable bands. On a more positive note, husband looked at it last night, and then said he forgot to check the fluid level after it was warmed up when we did the ATF change last weekend. It was low, added some, and seems to be doing better...knock on wood.

Low fluid will cause this every time. I think your transmission needs to be in park to check it. And must be warmed up and sitting on level ground, make sure you're doing that.

Dropping the pan and replacing the oil that comes out doesn't generally cause problems. The problems come when you actually do the 'flushing' process. The above poster is correct that all you're doing is exposing problems you already have, but there's still no good reason to do it on a high mileage, working transmission. There may be a lot of miles left in that transmission if you don't flush it.

It really depends on your situation. If you're making cross country drives, definitely don't risk it. If it's an around-town vehicle and your world doesn't collapse if it goes down unexpectedly, I would squeeze as many miles out of it as you can.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Changing fluid can finish off a weak transmission. Change fluid well before recommended intervals.

It is odd that folks usually never attend to the service in this area.
    I always have. The Trans I mentioned up-thread was seriously abused towing a trailer to Florida and back twice a year and to NC once a year for about 6 years.
    16' dual axle enclosed hauling 2 to 4 Harleys and all the gear. We never ran under 80. Mostly over 90. Had to get there. Then we had to get home.
    Yukon was a lease. When the time was up I was seriously attached to the truck and had to fix all the abuse I put it through.
    Yes, I serviced the trans but that breed was known to fail at 90K to 100K. All I did was burn it up a bit sooner.

Oh yeah.....The odd burn out did not help it either.

Top Bottom