• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Jeep Wranglers hold their value extremely well. If you’re wanting a newer one, stick with the 2012’s and up. They have the newer, and better, 3.6 engine. The 2007-2011’s have the 3.8, and they don’t have the power for the jeep.

I drive a 2005, which has the old reliable 4.0.

I have a 2004 with the 4.0. I love Jeeps, but they do have their quirks. Mine has a leak somewhere around the back window, smells all musty when it gets wet, like now. Transmission slips a little, I think that's common for that year. Blower only works on high (just haven't gotten around to fixing it, think it's probably the resistor, another known issue, cheap fix), etc. Mine is the Columbia package, i guess that makes it slightly worth more? Developing some rust that i haven't decided what to do with.
    It suits my lifestyle. We took the back seat out to make more room for groceries, dogs, etc. I love just getting in my vehicle and going in the winter, no shoveling snow. The short wheel base makes them super-easy to park, too.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I bought a 2005 Wrangler Rubicon with 24k miles in Aug 2009 for $16.5k. I sold it in may with 72k miles for $15k. In that time I put a new set of wheels & tires on it, changed the fluids and paid a few hundred bucks to have the bumpers and rock sliders powder coated. Wranglers are one of, if not the best investments in the automobile world, if there is such a thing.
    Wish I'd found something like that when I was looking for mine! I really like mine, but Rubicon! :wwub:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just found this thread.... What do you want to know?

With the new Wrangler JL coming out, the price on remaining JK's is starting to drop (if you want new). The modern JK is COMPLETELY different than the older TJ. Rides pretty darned well, plenty of power, and quieter than the Saturn it replaced for us. My TJ, while I loved it, was still a Jeep. Loud, rough, and no room.

As above, the first generation JKs with the 3.8L engine lack some power. Otherwise, there really isn't anything wrong with them. I see low mileage, clean versions in the mid-$20's regularly. With the right tire/gearing combo, they get around just fine. The 3.8 just needs more RPM than, well, it should.

As for pricing: Jeeps are like Harley's. It is as much a lifestyle as a vehicle for a lot of people. Something about pulling the doors, dropping the top, and pointing it down some unmaintained country road....

You could always hold out for the new JL this winter. Be the first on the block with the newest toy!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just found this thread.... What do you want to know?

With the new Wrangler JL coming out, the price on remaining JK's is starting to drop (if you want new). The modern JK is COMPLETELY different than the older TJ. Rides pretty darned well, plenty of power, and quieter than the Saturn it replaced for us. My TJ, while I loved it, was still a Jeep. Loud, rough, and no room.

As above, the first generation JKs with the 3.8L engine lack some power. Otherwise, there really isn't anything wrong with them. I see low mileage, clean versions in the mid-$20's regularly. With the right tire/gearing combo, they get around just fine. The 3.8 just needs more RPM than, well, it should.

As for pricing: Jeeps are like Harley's. It is as much a lifestyle as a vehicle for a lot of people. Something about pulling the doors, dropping the top, and pointing it down some unmaintained country road....

You could always hold out for the new JL this winter. Be the first on the block with the newest toy!

The JL does look interesting. I'm anxious to see what the truck will look like.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The JL does look interesting. I'm anxious to see what the truck will look like.
    I'm still saving up, just in case. Recent pictures are a little disappointing, though. Looks like a pretty long bed, with a lot of overhang. I'm hoping for a more Brute-style bobbed bed. A 3L turbo-diesel, 6-speed manual, with Rubi axles and gears would be KILLER with a bobbed bed... on 40's. :rockwoot:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm still saving up, just in case. Recent pictures are a little disappointing, though. Looks like a pretty long bed, with a lot of overhang. I'm hoping for a more Brute-style bobbed bed. A 3L turbo-diesel, 6-speed manual, with Rubi axles and gears would be KILLER with a bobbed bed... on 40's. :rockwoot:

That would be quite awesome....

Not really. It didn't get driven much in the last couple of years we had it and I didn't do much offroading. I get a lot more use out of the truck that replaced it.

You’re suppose to say that you miss it dearly...

It can be a pain loading the baby and all his “stuff” into the TJ. A 4 door JKU or even a nice truck would be nice to have :)
    I have grown attached to my TJ, I bought it brand new and have done A LOT of mods to it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I would drive a Grand Cherokee SRT / Trackhawk.

And I'd drive a GC in the Altitude trim and above.

In other news - 4x4 isn't standard on all Grand Cherokees. Who knew?

ETA: I just "built" a Jeep Grand Cherokee on their website. Ended up just a few dollars shy of $100k!!! FOR A JEEP.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Get a Toyota. Problem solved.

I bought a 2005 Wrangler Rubicon with 24k miles in Aug 2009 for $16.5k. I sold it in may with 72k miles for $15k. In that time I put a new set of wheels & tires on it, changed the fluids and paid a few hundred bucks to have the bumpers and rock sliders powder coated. Wranglers are one of, if not the best investments in the automobile world, if there is such a thing.

The Toyota FJ's are also holding their value like crazy as well (no more to come at this point). They are more expensive to lift than Jeeps, but have a strong community as well. I owned a 97 TJ when it was new (traded it soon after as I found out we were going to be having a kid), and now have an 07 FJ. Not sure on the newer Jeeps, but I would not go back from my FJ to a Jeep.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    The Toyota FJ's are also holding their value like crazy as well (no more to come at this point). They are more expensive to lift than Jeeps, but have a strong community as well. I owned a 97 TJ when it was new (traded it soon after as I found out we were going to be having a kid), and now have an 07 FJ. Not sure on the newer Jeeps, but I would not go back from my FJ to a Jeep.

Tacomas are holding there value excedingly well too. I really wan't one, but don't want to pay 5k for something that has been flipped over twice.

My brother has blown out a several jeep transmissions and rear ends. I have a friend on her 3rd Rubicon transmission in probably as many years. They are both hard on vehicles no doubt about it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My brother has blown out a several jeep transmissions and rear ends. I have a friend on her 3rd Rubicon transmission in probably as many years. They are both hard on vehicles no doubt about it.

Honestly, that sounds like typical Chrysler SOP.

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I have bought and sold a lot of vehicles over the years. We recently decided to look into a jeep wrangler. What is the idea behind these things being so over priced? My wife has a 2013 suv that has 70k miles on it and the value now is roughly half of what it was new.

I was looking at a 2010 jeep wrangler with 50k miles on it, great shape. They are asking 23k only 3k less then it was when it was new in 2010. This is one of the worst cases I saw but in general these things are all thousands over KBB. It almost makes no sense to buy used. Any one with experience with jeeps have any buying tips??

I worked a dealership for a while and when I questioned the sale manager about certain vehicles being priced so much higher than KBB he said "try to buy a vehicle from them then". It's a rude way of putting it but what he went on to say is that a vehicle or any thing else is really worth what you can get for it if you decide to sell no more no less, at least in monetary terms. Lots of people love jeeps so they will pay more.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Tacomas are holding there value excedingly well too. I really wan't one, but don't want to pay 5k for something that has been flipped over twice.

That was one of the things that drew me to the Wranglers in the first place, they were stupid easy to work on. I owned a YJ and a TJ and compared to most modern vehicles they're simple and most things are easy to get to and repair/replace. They typically aren't built to handle the abuse a lot of people put them through which is why there is such a huge aftermarket upgrade industry for them. A lot of that went away when the JK came along and while I like the way they look, ease of maintenance and longevity of the motor were no more.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Growing up I always wanted a jeep. I still love the look of the CJ7 and CJ8, and the newer ones are awesome too.But I've always heard that Jeeps weren't reliable, and also looking at Consumer Reports in the past they've usually got less than desirable reports. What years should one avoid? I would like to get one some day.

Top Bottom