• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I had 5 Jeeps a couple of years ago. I have ZERO jeeps now.
    I got tired of working on them all the time.
    The newest was a 2007. They were a very expensive vehicle to keep up. That wasn't counting the rusted out frames.
    CV joints/axles, stabilizers, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, $360 fan speed temp controls so I could have heat, door hinges, security system failures, a/c compressors, radiators, and that's just off the top of my head. Oh yea, oil pressure sending units, brakes seemed like they went out every year, corroded wiring for the lights, I want to get away from this thinking again.
    Those weren't happy motoring days.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    They don’t drive/ride like any other vehicle either.

When you say this, I think you mean that they are lousy vehicles to drive down an interstate. I can MAYBE understand having one to tool around town in, but other than that, my opinion is that they are awful vehicles. They're loud (on the inside), ride terrible, and cost way too much.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I love Jeeps. Have a '95 ZJ (Grand Cherokee), and a '99 TJ (Wrangler). Both have the 4.0 with a lot of miles. I would trust them both to get me anywhere. Yeah they do require more maintenance/attention than most cars but I still love them. They hold their value really well. I have no idea why they're so expensive but I agree. They are.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When you say this, I think you mean that they are lousy vehicles to drive down an interstate. I can MAYBE understand having one to tool around town in, but other than that, my opinion is that they are awful vehicles. They're loud (on the inside), ride terrible, and cost way too much.

True. But when I say they don’t ride/drive like any other vehicle, I mean they aren’t boring. They aren’t dull. These are FUN vehicles. They aren’t meant to get you from point A to point B. It’s suppose to be an adventure.

These aren’t practical economical vehicles. They are meant to be fun. They are meant to put money into, to mod and accessorize. What other vehicle can you take the top and doors off and go drive? See that rock wall? Go drive over it!

As for riding rough, a Jeep doesn’t HAVE to ride like a Jeep. My jeep rides like a dream. That’s because I have a quality after market suspension. Why people buy cheap crap for their vehicles is beyond me...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    As for reliability, my jeep just hit 106,500 miles today. Never had anything major go wrong with it. Biggest thing was the rear main seal was leaking. Took a few hours to fix that.

Been very reliable so far. Best vehicle I ever had.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I’d love to have another YJ or maybe a TJ. JK’s never did much for me. Just kinda seem like another suv dressed as a Jeep.

If I do get another one, it won’t be my daily driver. I made a 40 mile (each way) commute in my YJ for almost 3 years, and that was enough.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Jeep Wranglers hold their value extremely well. If you’re wanting a newer one, stick with the 2012’s and up. They have the newer, and better, 3.6 engine. The 2007-2011’s have the 3.8, and they don’t have the power for the jeep.

I drive a 2005, which has the old reliable 4.0.

3.6 was available in Jeep Wranglers in 2011. All other Chrysler products that used the 3.6L had to wait until 2012.

Last edited:

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Well I ended up going with a 2012 for the more powerful engine. Got a good deal i think. Happy with it so far, never drove anything quite like it... reminds me of a forklift.

Attachments

• A6ED988A-0C78-455F-872E-8DDE9E143EE1.jpg
      A6ED988A-0C78-455F-872E-8DDE9E143EE1.jpg
      76.8 KB · Views: 19
    Top Bottom