• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    While she would likely find that hilarious, I can't tell if you mean it that way or are someone who only knows her from E! Network.

I was trying to be funny and I think Joan would approve of that gag.

My memory of her goes back to sometime in the 70s, the first time I saw her on TV. I am old. :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    True, but he's the comic who came to mind with possible health issues that could lead to death.

I think it takes a kind of darkness to be a comic that often leads o an unhealthy lifestyle. Many have succumbed to it.

Patrice O'Neal
    Richard Jeni
    Mitch Hedberg
    Otto Peterson
    Richard Pryor
    Sam Kinison
    George Carlin

And I'm sure many more I can't think of right now. It's that "burn twice as bright for half as long" thing.

I'm afraid Louie Anderson will be the exception and whine into his 90's.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You would be surprised how many people want drugged for very minor procedures. They have an expectation that the human body can be manipulated and changed without pain.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There was a link posted in the Robin Williams thread to an article on Cracked. I first thought "Cracked"? yeah right. But it was a very poignant article. Comedy comes from a dark side. That dark side takes a lot of our beloved comedians from us. Chris Farley, John Belushi, so many of them. I think Joan won in the game of life, as much as anyone can. Of course she didn't live forever, but who does? Once you're 80, you're kinda on borrowed time. She kicked ass, and it stayed kicked. What more could you hope for?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There was a link posted in the Robin Williams thread to an article on Cracked. I first thought "Cracked"? yeah right. But it was a very poignant article. Comedy comes from a dark side. That dark side takes a lot of our beloved comedians from us. Chris Farley, John Belushi, so many of them. I think Joan won in the game of life, as much as anyone can. Of course she didn't live forever, but who does? Once you're 80, you're kinda on borrowed time. She kicked ass, and it stayed kicked. What more could you hope for?

I read that same article and it really hit on a lot of points that I never thought about before. As far as Joan goes, I was never really a fan. That said, I completely respected her for being unapologetic and calling it like she saw it. We need more of that

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    People who are 81 (or over 70, for that matter) should not take general anesthesia lightly.

She probably had sedation not general anesthesia. Do you know the number of people over 70 that have anesthesia every day? No one should take general anesthesia lightly but you are less likely to have a serious complication of anesthesia than you are dying while driving to work. Of course, the older and or sicker you are, the more likely you are to have a complication.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wish I'd seen this thread when hooserdoc first posted it.

Because my response would've been "coma coma coma coma coma comedienne".

It would've been a lot more funny then than now.

-J-

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it takes a kind of darkness to be a comic that often leads o an unhealthy lifestyle. Many have succumbed to it.

Patrice O'Neal
    Richard Jeni
    Mitch Hedberg
    Otto Peterson
    Richard Pryor
    Sam Kinison
    George Carlin

And I'm sure many more I can't think of right now. It's that "burn twice as bright for half as long" thing.

I'm afraid Louie Anderson will be the exception and whine into his 90's.
    I don't know about all of those names, but while Jeni was a suicide and Hedberg was an O.D., Kinison died in a car crash caused by a drunk driver, and Carlin lived well into "old age". You also forgot Bill Hicks, who, though smoking like a Victorian era factory, died of pancreatic cancer that spread to his liver, not lung cancer.

All in all, I'd say comics don't necessarily burn out faster than the average person.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Patrice O'Neal stroke due to complications from type 2 diabetes @ 41
    Richard Jeni suicide: self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head @ 49
    Mitch Hedberg O.D. and complications from a heart condition @ 37
    Otto Peterson bacterial meningitis @ 53
    Richard Pryor heart attack @ 65
    Sam Kinison auto collision with drunk driver @ 38
    George Carlin heart failure @ 71
    Bill Hicks pancreatic cancer that spread to his liver @ 32
    Robin Williams suicide: auto-asphyxia (possible diagnosis of MS) @ 63
    Joan Rivers cardiac arrest due to complications from throat surgery @ 81

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I wish I'd seen this thread when hooserdoc first posted it.

Because my response would've been "coma coma coma coma coma comedienne".

It would've been a lot more funny then than now.

-J-

I literally just busted out laughing in my office.

Having said that, I always got a kick out of Joan Rivers, especially back when she used to be on the Johnny Carson show (yeah, I'm old too...6 months shy of the big 5-0). RIP

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    And now, an Indiana connection to the story. There is a large Arts Alliance here in SE Indiana that is really a 1st class organization. They put on a ton of concerts and youth activities and spend a lot of money. It was well known that they had a large anonymous benefactor that donated thousands of dollars a year, rumor has it the Joan Rivers was the benefactor.

Showing nothing on their website, but my source is pretty good.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Look at the bright side....... she won't need to be embalmed since she was like 80% plastic anyway. Hell, even Joan would have laughed at that one! ;)

Top Bottom