• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I agree with staffing company. Take anything and don't miss a single day. Work it at least six months if they'll have him on the job.

also apply at Walmart in perso

also have him start reading motivational business books. Develop a firm handshake and look people in the eye. Is he clean cut and shaven?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with staffing company. Take anything and don't miss a single day. Work it at least six months if they'll have him on the job.

also apply at Walmart in perso

also have him start reading motivational business books. Develop a firm handshake and look people in the eye. Is he clean cut and shaven?

Yes clean cut and shaven

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What's the problem? Lazy? Troubled? Drugs? Wrong crowd?

Please don't take offense but is he ready to work? Will he just get fired?

I'd cut him off. Nothing should be given for free or easy. He's at one of the most critical points of his life. He'll either survive this or head down a path many never make it back from.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What's the problem? Lazy? Troubled? Drugs? Wrong crowd?

Please don't take offense but is he ready to work? Will he just get fired?

I'd cut him off. Nothing should be given for free or easy. He's at one of the most critical points of his life. He'll either survive this or head down a path many never make it back from.

Well there are a few problems, but nothing that can't be worked through. Have seen no evidence of drug use. He's one of those people who's kinda socially awkward. And by that I mean he prefers to be alone. Doesn't hang out with any friends outside of school, has had issues with depression since 2011 when he was placed in a treatment facility for 6 mos after attempt suicide, saw a councilor until he turned 18 and refused services. Otherwise from my perspective he is mostly just Lazy and immature. He has absolutely no ambition, no career goals.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Well there are a few problems, but nothing that can't be worked through. Have seen no evidence of drug use. He's one of those people who's kinda socially awkward. And by that I mean he prefers to be alone. Doesn't hang out with any friends outside of school, has had issues with depression since 2011 when he was placed in a treatment facility for 6 mos after attempt suicide, saw a councilor until he turned 18 and refused services. Otherwise from my perspective he is mostly just Lazy and immature. He has absolutely no ambition, no career goals.

Dang, I see now. I retract my previous comment about cutting him off. He definitely needs help and support.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

In this I wish you all the luck.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

It's too bad he discontinued counseling. His lack of motivation could be partly due to depression. Not trying to make excuses for him, he needs to work through this. Have a family member with similar issues. I know prescription depression/anxiety meds are frowned upon by many, but they are a lifesaver for some people.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    CM- thanks man, I know it's all going to be a struggle at least for awhile.
    CindyE- I certainly think he could benefit from counseling but even before he turned 18 his participation with his counselor was minimal. Have had tons of tests done and he is on meds which helps. My wife and I just really believe that if he can find a job and earn a few bucks it might give him some confidence/pride to take ownership in his own life.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not to be a smartass or anything but has he considered the military? Might help him grow up a little and figure out what he wants to do with his life. I honestly wish I had the wisdom at that age to take that course, not complaining about my current lot in life but perhaps I wouldn't have put off critical decisions as long as I did.

Having gone back and more thoroughly "skimmed" the thread I see a pattern developing

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

If he tries the military, they may not take him if they find out he attempted suicide.
    I have a friend who's younger brother did this, and when he tried to join the Army some years later, they wouldn't take him because of this.
    I wish him luck.

I have a stepson who's now 23 and won't work.
    Had a job and just up and quit one day last fall and won't even try to get another.
    His mother and I argue about this all the time, but she won't do anything, she owns the house he lives at, and since he's not my son I can't give him any ultimatums to get a job.
    It BUGS the crap out of me.
    He just hangs around playing video games.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Femurphy- I took him to a recruiter's office this afternoon. He expressed some interest, so he is going to think about it and go back Friday to get some more questions answered.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    As others have stated, most factory/warehouse type jobs are filled through staffing services. I used to do job placement in one of those offices, and if someone could pass the routine tests (given more to see i they would show up I think than actual aptitude...) and could pass a drug test, we would at least send them out for temp assignments to see if they would work out. If they showed up and the employers didn't express unhappiness with their work, we would then send them to longer assignments or jobs that had the chance of becoming permanent placements.

So...don't turn down short-term assignments offered as they are often a way for an applicant to prove themselves.

Walmart or similar jobs are also good starting points...and they get discounts on things they need so that helps supplement the lower pay.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I don't know if the military will still do this, but this happened to a distant relative back in the 80's.

He did make it through HS (just barely) and then generally screwed around for 5-6 years. Couldn't hold a job for more than a couple of months, just wanted to party his life away. Finally, he was caught for the 3rd or 4th time shoplifting.

This is a small county in Eastern Indiana and the Judge was tired of seeing him pop up on the docket every 6 months. Told him he was going to do some jail time because he hadn't learned his lesson. Then looked at him and said "Son, I'm going to give you one last break. I'm going to stay this case for 180 days. If in 180 days you are in the military and make it through basic training, I'm going to dismiss the charges".

Well, he not only made it past the 180 days, he stayed in the Marines for 12 years and loved it. He was trained in electronics and laying cables and fibre optics. When he got out he was a fine young man, got a job as a lineman for the phone company and never got in trouble again.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If he tries the military, they may not take him if they find out he attempted suicide.
    I have a friend who's younger brother did this, and when he tried to join the Army some years later, they wouldn't take him because of this.
    I wish him luck.

Had a job and just up and quit one day last fall and won't even try to get another.
    His mother and I argue about this all the time, but she won't do anything, she owns the house he lives at, and since he's not my son I can't give him any ultimatums to get a job.

Wow! Thankfully my wife and I are on the same page. He has to find a way to take the steps to stand on his own. We don't mind helping, even down the road but, there has to come a time when he is out on his own. We refure to be taken advantage of and that's just the way it is

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wow! Thankfully my wife and I are on the same page. He has to find a way to take the steps to stand on his own. We don't mind helping, even down the road but, there has to come a time when he is out on his own. We refure to be taken advantage of and that's just the way it is

Yes, you are lucky your wife is on board with you.
    When I graduated high school, my parents rule was, they'd give me slack if i was going to school, and I worked during summer break.
    But as soon as I was done with school, or decided i didn't want to go any longer, I was expected to work and support myself.

I had a job about 2 weeks after getting out of school.
    They did help me some for awhile, and I lived in another city.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I wish him luck.

Who pays his utilities, buys his food, puts gas in a car (if he has one) and pays insurance etc. Beyond that, who buys his video games and junk? Does she pay his way on everything else too if he doesn't work at all? If so I'd be going crazy!

Top Bottom