• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    And let's also hope that the biggest, richest progressive in the state does not decide they are suddenly a Republican so they can run with an (R) next to their name.
    I think there was a pretty established state level Republican readying a run against him, which figured prominently in his decision not to re-up.

However, it's said he may have Prez aspirations...which seems like it could shake things up pretty hard. No telling which direction he'd go.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    The Democrats have to defend 23 seats.

- 3 of those seats are held by "Independents" - Kyrsten Sinema (AZ), Angus King (ME), & Bernie (VT).

- 3 of those seats are held by Democrats in states Trump won in 2020 - Sherrod Brown (OH), Jon Tester (MT), & Manchin (WV).

The Republicans have to defend 10 seats. Frankly, if they can't pick up the OH, MT, WV...well, they need to pick them up.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think there was a pretty established state level Republican readying a run against him, which figured prominently in his decision not to re-up.

However, it's said he may have Prez aspirations...which seems like it could shake things up pretty hard. No telling which direction he'd go.
    If that's true, RFKjr is already in his lane

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Perhaps Joe saw the Dems loosing their slim margin in which case he will no longer have power. His only power came when he was the deciding vote to pass legislation. He could hold out and have the Dems bend over backward to get his precious vote.

If the Dems lose the Senate then he becomes irrelevant.

If the Dems have a solid majority and don't need his vote he becomes irrelevant.

So many of these politicians are power hungry.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Heard that today along, with a bipartisan bill signed by Mitt Romney, Todd Young and Joe Manchin about a Fiscal responsibility committee or some such crap. Don’t have a link just heard it on the radio. My point is Todd Young is once again reaching across the isle to “Get things done”. I’m so over that dude I can’t stand it. I almost wish Evan Bayh was back because I can’t see the difference between the two. Other than Evan was honest about who he was.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Heard that today along, with a bipartisan bill signed by Mitt Romney, Todd Young and Joe Manchin about a Fiscal responsibility committee or some such crap. Don’t have a link just heard it on the radio. My point is Todd Young is once again reaching across the isle to “Get things done”. I’m so over that dude I can’t stand it. I almost wish Evan Bayh was back because I can’t see the difference between the two. Other than Evan was honest about who he was.
    This just is not true. Bayh voted with Manchin 80% of the time, Young votes with Manchin 51% of the time. Big difference. I get it, I don’t like Young but he is better than a dem like Bayh.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    This just is not true. Bayh voted with Manchin 80% of the time, Young votes with Manchin 51% of the time. Big difference. I get it, I don’t like Young but he is better than a dem like Bayh.
    I don’t disagree with the numbers so to speak but I was pointing out that he isn’t who he claims to be. Evan Bayh gave us Obama care with his vote and then retired because Washington had become too toxic. So based on the “numbers” Young is 30 percent better than Bayh. I think we’re on the same page here, I guess I was overstating my point. I’m pretty sure Young is a swamp dweller and I’m not supporting it. To your point, I didn’t ever vote for Bayh I’m just saying the differences between the two are minuscule given where we’re at this point. I’m actually friends with a now retired Indiana state representative and begged him to run but he was over all of it. How do we do we get rid of squishy representation like Young?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don’t disagree with the numbers so to speak but I was pointing out that he isn’t who he claims to be. Evan Bayh gave us Obama care with his vote and then retired because Washington had become too toxic. So based on the “numbers” Young is 30 percent better than Bayh. I think we’re on the same page here, I guess I was overstating my point. I’m pretty sure Young is a swamp dweller and I’m not supporting it. To your point, I didn’t ever vote for Bayh I’m just saying the differences between the two are minuscule given where we’re at this point. I’m actually friends with a now retired Indiana state representative and begged him to run but he was over all of it. How do we do we get rid of squishy representation like Young?
    We must now focus on finding and supporting Braun’s replacement first and foremost, then work to replace Young. Since Young was just re-elected there is quite a while we are stuck with him.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Have you gotten around to reading about that vague "crap" that you tossed out there? I did. The act would create a bipartisan and bicameral commission to study and reduce the national debt. At least for now, it sounds like it has the kernels of a good start in reigning in the national debt. INGO supports that, doesn’t it? So far, some senior and teacher groups have come out against it. I'll reserve judgement until more details come out. Or, at least I'll keep my knee-jerk response to hating anything Young is involved in before knowing what it is to a minimum. I just end up embarrassing myself and kicking the dog.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Manchin was looking at not being reelected. The numbers looked bad for him in the red state of West Virginia.
    I think this is it. He was a prime suspect to pull the "party switching" trick, but it's kinda hard to do that when the other party already has a candidate in place against you who is polling well. He waited too long. If he would have switched parties back when Biden was trying to pass all the spending crap, then voted against it and sank it, he would be a legend right now and a possible rival to Trump. But he went along with it, helped pass it and made himself radioactive to his own voters. Now his only option is probably being a "No Labels" spoiler.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think this is it. He was a prime suspect to pull the "party switching" trick, but it's kinda hard to do that when the other party already has a candidate in place against you who is polling well. He waited too long. If he would have switched parties back when Biden was trying to pass all the spending crap, then voted against it and sank it, he would be a legend right now and a possible rival to Trump. But he went along with it, helped pass it and made himself radioactive to his own voters. Now his only option is probably being a "No Labels" spoiler.

That's exactly it.

The only good thing about Manchin signing on to that joke of a spending bill was that it exposed him. He tried back-pedaling when the lies come out about the bill, but it was too late. Nearly everyone hates Manchin enough now that he'll never be elected to anything ever again.

:)

Top Bottom