Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    IMLO Sandusky had something on the school like a recruit viloation or such. He played the card and got to stay around without a job per say and they all just hoped it would go away. And it almost did.

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    Yep, last I heard Jo-Pa told the athletic director a few years ago. If he was a stand up guy, he would have asked some questions when nothing happened. Sounds to me like everyone there should be fired and prosecuted.

If he reported CHILD MOLESTATION and saw no police involvement He had a RESPONSIBILITY to follow up with the police.
    This is not players cheating on tests or getting gifts from boosters.
    This is CHILD MOLESTATION get the police involved get that P.O.S. off your staff and behind bars.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just read the Grand Jury Papers up until the descriptions of Victims 3-8. Just to graphic for me and I'd rather not know some of the things done.

From page 12 it appears that the grand jury found that it was Schulz and Curley's responsibility to inform the police within 48 hours of the Graduate Assitant notifying Paterno, and Paterno notifying the AD, which was escalation up the chain of command.

Not saying that Joe couldn't have done more (especially once he found out that all they did was lock Sandusky out), but it appears that according to PA law, he did what he was required to do. I think it is unfortunate that Paterno has been presumed guilty here and lost his job before he's been given due process of the law.

I'll say it again, it would be a tough situation to be in from Paterno's point of fvew, especially not being the actual eye witness to the act(s). I could very much seeing Joe informing his direct management, and then staying out of the way. I'm sure he was upset about it, but that he also wondered if this was a "he-said, she-said" scenario, and wanted the investigation by the school to get to the bottom of it. Especially when it is a graduate assistant accusing a long time colleage.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Just read the Grand Jury Papers up until the descriptions of Victims 3-8. Just to graphic for me and I'd rather not know some of the things done.

From page 12 it appears that the grand jury found that it was Schulz and Curley's responsibility to inform the police within 48 hours of the Graduate Assitant notifying Paterno, and Paterno notifying the AD, which was escalation up the chain of command.

Not saying that Joe couldn't have done more (especially once he found out that all they did was lock Sandusky out), but it appears that according to PA law, he did what he was required to do. I think it is unfortunate that Paterno has been presumed guilty here and lost his job before he's been given due process of the law.

I'll say it again, it would be a tough situation to be in from Paterno's point of fvew, especially not being the actual eye witness to the act(s). I could very much seeing Joe informing his direct management, and then staying out of the way.

I'm quoting myself from another forum:

So, if you were Paterno, you wouldn't find it weird if McQueary came to your house and told you that he saw Sandusky ****ING A CHILD IN THE *** and McQueary was never questioned by police? Or that Sandusky was still roaming the campus, not behind bars?Or if you weren't sure, you wouldn't do a follow up with a kid you see everyday (McQueary and 28 isn't a kid, but it would be to Joe) to make sure he has talked to the police? Or if you didn't believe him, you wouldn't have him fired?

If you answered "no" to any of those questions, our thought processes differ greatly.

All three of them [Paterno, McQueary, Curley] did exactly what they needed to do to stay out of jail (Schultz needs to and will be in jail with Sandusky). All three of them are also morally bankrupt pieces of ****.

I'm sure he was upset about it, but that he also wondered if this was a "he-said, she-said" scenario, and wanted the investigation by the school to get to the bottom of it. Especially when it is a graduate assistant accusing a long time colleage.

This quote was directed toward someone else, but I think it applies to your above quote:

OK, so let me get this straight...

McQueary goes to Joe's house and tells him he saw Sandusky molesting a young child. Joe tells his boss and NOTHING gets done. I know he worked with Sandusky for 30 years and probably wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but there are some major flaws in his reasoning if he didn't either:

1. Go to the police to make sure nothing gets covered up, along with making sure Sandusky never stepped foot on Penn State's property again.

2. Fire McQueary for lying.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    One for everyone who "knew" and did nothing.

noose.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

So, if you were Paterno, you wouldn't find it weird if McQueary came to your house and told you that he saw Sandusky ****ING A CHILD IN THE *** and McQueary was never questioned by police? Or that Sandusky was still roaming the campus, not behind bars?Or if you weren't sure, you wouldn't do a follow up with a kid you see everyday (McQueary and 28 isn't a kid, but it would be to Joe) to make sure he has talked to the police? Or if you didn't believe him, you wouldn't have him fired?

If you answered "no" to any of those questions, our thought processes differ greatly.

I think you're thoughts are right on the money. I guess I'll offer a counter for the sake of discussion and debate (which I think has been very good thus far).

Joe is floored by what he hears from McQueary, especially about a man that Joe has personally known and trusted for years as a coach and colleage. The fact that Joe helped Sandusky retire on a positive note and in good standing with the university when a coaching change was needed, rather than fire him, says that Joe had a lot of respect for Sandusky.

I'm sure that in Paterno's mind the claim is just outrageous, and probably well out of character for Sandusky based on their working relationship. Thinking again that he wants to give Sandusky the benefit of the doubt, he resolves to let the AD look into it. It allows a 3rd party to get involved to prevent any personal feelings or bias get in the way. After review by the AD, Sandusky is locked out and barred from being in the football facility. That indicated that something was done, but the AD couldn't conclusively proove there was anything more than the right circumstances present for the inappropriate behavior to take place. (I'm assuming there hasn't been any security camera film uncovered to provide additional evidence on top of the testimony of witnesses and victims.).

So, Sandusky is now no longer around, and McQueary hasn't gone directly to the cops, so in Joe's mind he thinks it is settled and goes on with life.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I think you're thoughts are right on the money. I guess I'll offer a counter for the sake of discussion and debate (which I think has been very good thus far).

Joe is floored by what he hears from McQueary, especially about a man that Joe has personally known and trusted for years as a coach and colleage. The fact that Joe helped Sandusky retire on a positive note and in good standing with the university when a coaching change was needed, rather than fire him, says that Joe had a lot of respect for Sandusky.

I'm sure that in Paterno's mind the claim is just outrageous, and probably well out of character for Sandusky based on their working relationship. Thinking again that he wants to give Sandusky the benefit of the doubt, he resolves to let the AD look into it. It allows a 3rd party to get involved to prevent any personal feelings or bias get in the way. After review by the AD, Sandusky is locked out and barred from being in the football facility. That indicated that something was done, but the AD couldn't conclusively proove there was anything more than the right circumstances present for the inappropriate behavior to take place. (I'm assuming there hasn't been any security camera film uncovered to provide additional evidence on top of the testimony of witnesses and victims.).

So, Sandusky is now no longer around, and McQueary hasn't gone directly to the cops, so in Joe's mind he thinks it is settled and goes on with life.

But if I go with this respect and mutual admiration that you are portraying, if I heard something like this, I would go directly to him. I would say "Sandy" what the hell is going on. I heard this about you. The only out that I give JoePa at this point, I don't even know if he is there now. He looks like he is senile to me in those videos of him coming out to see the students.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    But if I go with this respect and mutual admiration that you are portraying, if I heard something like this, I would go directly to him. I would say "Sandy" what the hell is going on. I heard this about you. The only out that I give JoePa at this point, I don't even know if he is there now. He looks like he is senile to me in those videos of him coming out to see the students.

Fair point. Not sure why he didn't do a face to face, or maybe he did and we'll find that out as this moves on. Last I heard is that JoePa had an attorney (good move) and was advised to make no more public statements.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Fair point. Not sure why he didn't do a face to face, or maybe he did and we'll find that out as this moves on. Last I heard is that JoePa had an attorney (good move) and was advised to make no more public statements.

Getting an attorney and staying silent only shows how guilty he really is.

It is possible I should have used purple there...

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Have I missed something?

Not that it will make much difference in most people's mind, but I thought Sandusky had already left the PSU football staff and was running some sort of program for disadvantaged youths on the PSU campus. Just looking for clarification.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So said:
    BUT Sandusky WAS around! He was on campus 2 weeks ago! Joe and their coaches (including McQueary) had their players volunteering at all the events of Sandusky's foundation! McQueary saw this guy around the program for years after he witnessed what he did in the locker room! That is one of the things that condemns these people most in my mind, they knew what he was and what he had done, and yet, not only did they not do anything and let him go free; THEY LET HIM CONTINUE TO HANG AROUND THE PROGRAM! Listening on the radio they were talking to a Penn State football player who graduated within the last decade and he made it very clear that they were encouraged to help out with his foundation whenever possible!

Top Bottom