• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I'm with ya on the grips. I just think the black grips are too plain for my taste. I find blondes on stainless just looks downright sexy!

I quickly replaced the black rubberized grips on my kimber for some wood ones.

Can't figure out how to post image.. noob here. I'll do a search and see if I can figure it out.

100_0838.jpg

Last edited:

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Whoa there with the double post there fella. Yes I have to agree. No need to have a plastic trigger shoe on that nice prancing hoss. Easy fix. That and some grips, GTG.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I've got Hogue wood grips on mine, in fact both of them, love the grips.

I'd consider, after you shoot it, to see if it will feed your favorite flavor of defensive ammo. You may have to have the barrel throated. I'd certainly change the sights unless they work well for you.

I use Wilson Combat magazines, and have never had any feeding issues with my pistols.

If the trigger works for you, leave it alone. Just don't put crap on your gun that is useless. Have fun.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Took her out shootin today put about 120 rounds thru it mix of Winchester and federal ball and some golden saber hollowpoints shot like a dream without so much as a hiccup here's a target at 15 yards, mix of aiming one hand and two and point shooting and rapid shoot

ce15d1d9.jpg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have the same Colt, but mine does have an idiot mark. I don't mind it since it was left by this idiot. :) As you can see, mine's still bone stock. I like the feel of the grips and even found a pair to fit my RIA compact.
    DSC01149.jpg

MrBogok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Indy
    I want one. I thought Id never say it, but I have too many guns and only 2 that I really want. Is Rock River a good 1911 too?

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Got my first 1911 on thursday and couldn't be happier, it's a satin finished stainless Colt 1991 A1 new in box got in trade, I already am thinkin about new grips for it, and a trigger, thoughts?

c25ad72e.jpg

Nice pistol and a nice move getting a Colt. I would change the sights, but probably wouldn't change the trigger right away, unless it needed ( or you wanted) a trigger job. If you do anything to it make sure you shop for a known, reputable 1911 smith. But really...the first thing I'd do is shoot that hairy thing thats lurking in the box.

HMMM New in box, It's a collector item, put it away & buy another 1911 to shoot:rockwoot:
    You're joking...right? What makes it collectible?

Nice 1911, put a few hundred rounds down range. After that you will have a better idea of what if anything you want to do with it.

Mags and ammo are always a good place to start.

Great advice. I would recomend Tripp Research mags, pricey but they have the best reliability I have found and are tough.

Good score on a NIB Colt. I have to agree with the others here--shoot the snot out of it then decide what you want to change.

Don't bust it's cherry, think of how much i'll be worth new in box;)

Heard ya the first time :) You're still kidding...right?

I have the same Colt, but mine does have an idiot mark. I don't mind it since it was left by this idiot. :) As you can see, mine's still bone stock. I like the feel of the grips and even found a pair to fit my RIA compact.

I love those grips too, put them on both my carry pistols. Just a little grippy, but not enough to cling to your shirt. CDNN has em for $9.99 sometimes.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Ya I don't think it really needs a trigger job, I just dislike the black plastic trigger, kinda feels like a toy

I know what you mean about the plastic trigger. I didn't realize Colt used one with holes in it, thought it was stainless. If your going to change it, I'd recommend a Greider and you might as well have a professional trigger job done while he's fitting it, and have it set at about 4#s. Unless you really have an exceptional factory trigger, you'll be glad you did when you get it back. With a Colt, you shouldn't have to buy any new parts, just a fine tuning the fire control parts.
    Bet it's got a plastic mainspring housing too...looks kinda crappy but they're lightweight and serviceable.

Top Bottom