• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Just wait. The NRA will spam the hell out of you. I get an endless stream of junkmail and spam e-mail from them trying to sell me stuff.

Just tell them you don't want the mailings. One phone call about 5 years ago and I get nothing else except for an occasional NRA-ILA letter once a year or so and my magazine.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    it would be nice if we could find a "go to lawyer" for this board in case any of us ever got into a situation where we had to defend ourselves

Wow, I looked at your icon... and at first thought "why is their icon a picture of some woman in panties with their legs up in the air..." then my perverted mind faded out and I realized it was a lamp. True story.

Virtus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Fishers
    :stickpoke:
    Just wait. The NRA will spam the hell out of you. I get an endless stream of junkmail and spam e-mail from them trying to sell me stuff.

That is true, but the magazines (that you can get) have a lot of valuable information. You also have a free pass to their upcoming NRA Members Meeting down in KY this year. I hear the exhibit hall alone is worth the trip.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Wow, I looked at your icon... and at first thought "why is their icon a picture of some woman in panties with their legs up in the air..." then my perverted mind faded out and I realized it was a lamp. True story.

It's a LAMP?? I've been getting excited over a LAMP??? :wtf:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

Had same experience.

And, even knowing better, the risque image is still the one that comes up.

BTW, regarding GOA and "no compromise." On the one hand, I have a GOA membership right alongside my NRA membership. OTOH, "no compromise" is another way of saying "all or nothing" and that "nothing" is a very real possibility if one relies _only_ on the "no compromise" position.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    I have been an Endowment Life Member for about 20 years and a Life member before that. It is probably the most powerful lobby we have to protect our rights. I haven't always been happy with some of the stuff but for the most part I think it is the best thing we have. I was without prescription insurance for a long time and they have an automatic plan for members that is free. It didn't cover a lot but any help was worthwhile. I care less about those kind of membership perks than the basics of what they are about. There have been several cases where lawfully owned guns were used and the person got into a legal hassle where they defended them. That is important. Join the other groups as well but you should belong to the "original" if you own a gun. MHO.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Had same experience.

BTW, regarding GOA and "no compromise." On the one hand, I have a GOA membership right alongside my NRA membership. OTOH, "no compromise" is another way of saying "all or nothing" and that "nothing" is a very real possibility if one relies _only_ on the "no compromise" position.

This and other statements from people such as Rhino have had me rethinking my stance on joining the NRA again. I have been so bullheaded that I was not looking at the bigger picture until I read it here. Thanks for helping me to realize the error of my ways, A membership to more than 1 organazation can only be a good thing.

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    Great responses here, and I agree with nearly all of them.

I agree GOA, and JFPO are great groups, and I`m considering both, but, I`m an Endowment-Life Member in NRA, and with over 4 million members, we are a powerful lobby. Sadly, there are an estimated 80 million gun owners in the US, but still only slightly better than 4 million of us carrying the load. If you`re not a member, then you`re only dead weight.

Join today.

SEIGUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2008
    Ripley Co.
    i am a recent new member myself, and have been trying to get my friends into it. i have one convinced and the others thinking. i keep telling the they need to b part of something. and y not the NRA. I LOVE MY MAG. AMERICAS 1ST FREEDOM. CANT PUT IT DOWN UNTIL IVE READ EVERY STORY.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well I see your point, but joining the NRA isnt the only way to actively support your rights, so be careful how you throw stones. Some people are NRA members and are dead weight- they think that supporting the NRA is enough and they don't do anything else to support RKBA. Just something to think about.

Roncho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Ok...I'm convinced. I've been on the fence on joining the NRA for quite a while, and the info everyone presented has convinced me to join. I just submitted my application! :):

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    Well I see your point, but joining the NRA isnt the only way to actively support your rights, so be careful how you throw stones. Some people are NRA members and are dead weight- they think that supporting the NRA is enough and they don't do anything else to support RKBA. Just something to think about.

Me stating my opinion IS NOT throwing stones. And you`re correct, being an NRA member isn`t the ONLY way to support Second Amendment rights. Having said that, I`d find you hard pressed to find more economical, substantial ways to support our gun rights.

Sorry if that offends your sensibilities, or feels like a stone thrown.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I was an nra member for many years... until I woke up and realized they don't support most of my weapons.

The nra is about 'sporting arms' and barely that. They aren't a Second Amendment organization by any stretch of the imagination. At this point I'd sooner give money to handgun control inc.

The GOA and Appleseed/RWVA are my groups now. I also like the JPFO and CCRKBA but I haven't joined those two... yet.

Quick run down on some of the knives in the back the nra has given us:
    the REAL nra

I do everything I can to get the money back I foolishly gave them over the years. Including mailing back every postage paid envelope I can. Every less penny they have is less they can use to ban more of MY firearms. This may seem harsh to some of you, but you need to wake up and smell the b.s.

I must warn you, I'm a pretty mellow fellow, many of you may totally freak out once you realize the level of betrayal at the hands of those you thought were 'with you'.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hunter, no offense taken. Nor did I intend to offend you. My point is that some people support the NRA but wont talk to their legislators or explain to a neighbor why the RKBA is important. In response to SEIGUY, the aforementioned, plus groups like SCCC. (concealedcampus.org). I wasnt being critical of the posters here, just saying not to rest on your laurels because you have an NRA membership. From what I read of Prometheus, I think he is probably the kind of person I m talking about- someone who does what they think they can, but is not a fan of the NRA. The 2 arent mutually exclusive, and membership doesnt get you off the hook elsewhere. THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM OF ANYONE PARTICULAR, so please don't take this as a lashing. Unless you feel guilty, that is.

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Been a long time member of the NRA, and proud to be one. Used to be member of GOA. I think every gun owner should be a member of the NRA or some other gun rights organization. Don't stay on the sidelines, JOIN!:):

Top Bottom