Joining the ranks (& quick load question)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that you have one more in the ranks of the INGO reloaders. :ingo:

I went from not even thinking about reloading to purchasing all necessary equipment (and a little more) from midway last week. I got all of my stuff along with "Modern Reloading", which I've been reading religiously for a few days now. I decided on the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press to get me on my feet. It's capable of everything I plan on doing (9mm, maybe .45) and more, and at 40 dollars it is a steal. I'm also a college student, so I don't have a bench to mount a high dollar press on. All of my reloading gear will fit in a medium sized tool box.

Now as a n00b, I did make one mistake. I went to Gander Mountain and bought some Alliant Unique powder before I received the loading manual. The manual has all sorts of 9mm loads using Unique, but none for the 500 124gr jacketed hornady bullets I bought from Midway. There is, however, a loading listed for a 125gr jacketed bullet, but as a newbie I am very leery of not following load data to the letter. There are plenty of 115gr bullet loads with Unique, but I'm not interested in loading that weight right now. I am only interested in loading 124gr and 147gr at the moment, and I'm looking for something to work for cast and fmj bullets (hard to please).

I know the general rule of thumb is that it is OK to use a lighter bullet (of the same type) than that listed, but any advice or tips would be appreciated. I can sell my powder to a friend if I can't find an acceptable solution.

Judging from my manual, it seems that v-3N37, v-N340, and v-N350 are exceptional performers in the 124gr bullets, as they are listed for all bullet types and give the highest velocities. WIN ACTION PI is the best candidate for 147gr, and it is in the middle range for most of the 124gr bullets. I might look into the WIN ACTION PI as a universal powder, as the vihta vuori seems rare.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

I just can't wait to make and fire my first loads.:ar15:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You are NOW Hooked..

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that you have one more in the ranks of the INGO reloaders. :ingo:

I went from not even thinking about reloading to purchasing all necessary equipment (and a little more) from midway last week. I got all of my stuff along with "Modern Reloading", which I've been reading religiously for a few days now. I decided on the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press to get me on my feet. It's capable of everything I plan on doing (9mm, maybe .45) and more, and at 40 dollars it is a steal. I'm also a college student, so I don't have a bench to mount a high dollar press on. All of my reloading gear will fit in a medium sized tool box.

Now as a n00b, I did make one mistake. I went to Gander Mountain and bought some Alliant Unique powder before I received the loading manual. The manual has all sorts of 9mm loads using Unique, but none for the 500 124gr jacketed hornady bullets I bought from Midway. There is, however, a loading listed for a 125gr jacketed bullet, but as a newbie I am very leery of not following load data to the letter. There are plenty of 115gr bullet loads with Unique, but I'm not interested in loading that weight right now. I am only interested in loading 124gr and 147gr at the moment, and I'm looking for something to work for cast and fmj bullets (hard to please).

I know the general rule of thumb is that it is OK to use a lighter bullet (of the same type) than that listed, but any advice or tips would be appreciated. I can sell my powder to a friend if I can't find an acceptable solution.

Judging from my manual, it seems that v-3N37, v-N340, and v-N350 are exceptional performers in the 124gr bullets, as they are listed for all bullet types and give the highest velocities. WIN ACTION PI is the best candidate for 147gr, and it is in the middle range for most of the 124gr bullets. I might look into the WIN ACTION PI as a universal powder, as the vihta vuori seems rare.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

I just can't wait to make and fire my first loads.:ar15:
    Welcome to the hand loading ranks..
    1. Yes you can use the 125gr. data for a 124gr. bullet-just as long as they are both cast or both jacketed.
    2. It's good powder, but for the beginner, it does not make sense to buy the expensive/hard to come by V-V powders.
    3. Go to Hodgdon Data site--VERY good source for load data.
    4. I like Hodgdon Titegroup+HP-38 for the most of my handgun loads. I probably use more Titegroup then any other powder.
    5. Use load blocks+CHECK-CHECK+DOUBLE CHECK the powder levels in each case before you install any bullet in the case.
    6. Pay attention to the Overall Length (OAL) spec. for the bullet that you are loading--the 9MM is a hi pressure loading+the amount that the bullet is seated into the case is a CRITICAL dimension. The deeper the bullet is in the case, the higher the pressure. You can seat a little longer in the case then specs, but NOT shorter than specs. If you have to seat shorter, to function properly in your pistol then back off of the powder .5 to .8 grain.
    7. Taper crimp your 9MM loads just enough to remove the flair that you made to ease the installation of the bullet.==Do not over crimp--the 9MM head-spaces on the case mouth, and an overly aggressive crimp will drive the case too far into the chamber+possibly cause excessive pressures.
    8.MOST IMPORTAN==Have FUN+Pat yourself on the back, on your first hand loads!!!
    Hope this helps..Bill.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Bill gives some excellent advice, especially on using a loading block and checking your powder levels and only using a slight taper crimp. Unique is a good powder, a little dirty but it cleans up easily. I like Unique because it's a slower burning powder which the 9mm seems to like. It's also almost impossible to double charge a case since it's fills the 9mm over half full with normal charges.

One other point I'll add is that most people, when they first start reloading, work up to max loadings but I've found that the best accuracy seems to be with the lighter loads. For me I find light loads have several advantages, better accuracy, less recoil, less wear & tear on the brass & gun and your powder goes further. If you look at the reloading data from light powder charges to heavy charges there's only about a 10% difference in velocities which for me doesn't make a lot of sense to load hot.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    You're getting the straight stuff so far. Like to add that you find someone to walk you through it, they can answer alot of questions as they come up. Also get more one manual. Get as many as you can, for cast reloading the Lyman Cast Handbook will be invaluable. A look in another manual would give you the loads you seek.

Unique will do you fine for a start. From the Speer # 13 manual. 5.2 to 5.8 grains for a 124 grain jacketed bullet. 3.8 to 4.3 grains for the 147 grain jacketed.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not a big fan of Unique powder. Not because it a lousy powder or any thing, but I find it to be a dirty powder. Shot some of my brothers reloads using unique, and my guns were Filthy afterwords. Being a colllege studnet I would imagine that you are on a tight budget. So may I suggest Accurate No. 5 a good all around powder. I can load all my hand guns cartridges with one powder, .32 acp, 9mm, and .45acp and it's clean. And I beleive there is a load for just about every handgun, bullet combination. I load 124grn in my 9, and 230 hardball in my .45. I like things simple and don't want 10 or 15 powders around taking up a lot of space. So right now my powder choices are Accurate No.5 and 2230 for my 5.56 loads. Now all I have to do is find a powder that works in both my 8mm and my 7.62X54r although surplus 54r is so cheap I'm not sure I'll do much reloading for it. Have fun! :):

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For me--back to TiteGroup..

I'm not a big fan of Unique powder. Not because it a lousy powder or any thing, but I find it to be a dirty powder. Shot some of my brothers reloads using unique, and my guns were Filthy afterwords. Being a colllege studnet I would imagine that you are on a tight budget. So may I suggest Accurate No. 5 a good all around powder. I can load all my hand guns cartridges with one powder, .32 acp, 9mm, and .45acp and it's clean. And I beleive there is a load for just about every handgun, bullet combination. I load 124grn in my 9, and 230 hardball in my .45. I like things simple and don't want 10 or 15 powders around taking up a lot of space. So right now my powder choices are Accurate No.5 and 2230 for my 5.56 loads. Now all I have to do is find a powder that works in both my 8mm and my 7.62X54r although surplus 54r is so cheap I'm not sure I'll do much reloading for it. Have fun! :):

Good choice Pin on the AA-#5...I have used that powder myself for a lot of loads. Like you, I kind of like 1 go to pistol powder-again that powder-FOR ME- is TiteGroup..Bill..

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I started out grabbing a 1lb bottle universal clays as it seemed like a good all around powder. It still is, since you can use it for just about everything...although if it tells you anything I just bought an 8lb keg of Titegroup. I love the fact that I only need 3.4gr of titegroup for my 9mm loads. Makes the powder go further. Plus at $100 for 8lbs it's like getting 3 lbs for free. Should be enough for 16000 rounds give or take. It leaves a little burn mark on the brass, but the stainless media takes it right off.

Have fun with your reloading and you'll get to the point of finding what exactly works best for you.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I also like the AA powders, as well as Winchester. Reloading can be a rewarding, as well as, money saving hobby.

One caution I would add is to give your full attention to the loading process. Television, alcohol, a lot of conversation- distractions while reloading can have bad results.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I also like the AA powders, as well as Winchester. Reloading can be a rewarding, as well as, money saving hobby.

One caution I would add is to give your full attention to the loading process. Television, alcohol, a lot of conversation- distractions while reloading can have bad results.

Very sound advice to a new reloader. When I started, it was with in absolute silence with grandpa watching over my shoulder. Now, I may put the radio on very very lightly but never more than that. You need to limit all interruptions as much as possible. Also, I would recommend eye/ and possible ear safety measures. Seems like not to long ago I remember a post of a gentleman on her who busted out some lights over his reload bench due to a mishap. Pay attention and be safe! Welcome aboard!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Gentleman??

Very sound advice to a new reloader. When I started, it was with in absolute silence with grandpa watching over my shoulder. Now, I may put the radio on very very lightly but never more than that. You need to limit all interruptions as much as possible. Also, I would recommend eye/ and possible ear safety measures. Seems like not to long ago I remember a post of a gentleman on her who busted out some lights over his reload bench due to a mishap. Pay attention and be safe! Welcome aboard!

Gentleman?-Gentleman?==You have GOT to be kidding????Bill..

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I load for 40 and 45acp as well as a few other handgun and rifle calibers. For both the 40 and 45acp I use Power Pistol. I have been very happy with it. I too looked for Winchester Action Pistol, but I could never find it. Also look on Hornady's website for loading data for their bullets. If you can't find it there, you might be able to find a Hornady book at your local gun/reloading store. When I develop a load, I tend to load a few (5-10) rounds in 3-4 different charges to find out what the particular gun likes. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Top Bottom