Juice: Power And The Power Grid Discussions And Info…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Have not watched but look forward to getting time to see this.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    All EV owners are contributing to the electric grid power shortages. Just like it was when the idiot politicians decided to fuel vehicles with our food, the whole EV scheme was stupid because no one did a dammed thing to create the power for EV’s, they were put right on the grid for our homes and business and now we are getting even closer to the precipice…

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    The grid was running on the ragged edge before they pushed EV’s and not it is worse. This is a thread to discuss the grid and what is going in concerning it.
    In what way was the grid running on the ragged edge before EVs?

The biggest challenge to the grid isn’t EVs- it’s premature retirement of gas/coal plants that provide dispatchable power being replaced by intermittent wind and solar that aren’t always providing power and the lack of battery capacity to make up for it. Federal and state green energy policy in combination with subsidized renewables driving market prices down for dirt burning plants makes them uneconomical and on the chopping block.

The grid isn’t on the ragged edge, but it is at risk if too many needed power plants shut down.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In what way was the grid running on the ragged edge before EVs?

The grid isn’t on the ragged edge, but it is at risk if too many needed power plants shut down.
    If MISO and power generators are discussing brownouts and or blackouts and asking customers to not use the resource they distribute, and their owners sell, then the grid is on the ragged edge…

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If MISO and power generators are discussing brownouts and or blackouts and asking customers to not use the resource they distribute, and their owners sell, then the grid is on the ragged edge…
    THIS.

Plus an engineer I know at AES said that at least in Indy, the average density neighborhood can only support roughly 10-20% of the houses on the street installing rapid charge EV chargers before current delivery maxes out.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The biggest challenge to the grid isn’t EVs- it’s premature retirement of gas/coal plants that provide dispatchable power being replaced by intermittent wind and solar that aren’t always providing power and the lack of battery capacity to make up for it. Federal and state green energy policy in combination with subsidized renewables driving market prices down for dirt burning plants makes them uneconomical and on the chopping block.
    This is all true and the sheeple are too ignorant to understand until they suffer personally and then I suspect it will be too late…

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    MISO is not predicting blackouts or capacity shortages. It advocates hard for continuing to invest in gas infrastructure to keep dispatchable power and the lights on. Still, MISO's grid is far from being on the ragged edge.

Show me the last time MISO made a public appeal to conserve energy. MISO hasn't had an EEA3 since Winter Storm Uri, and even there, the problems were in the South, where the storm was terrible.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    MISO is not predicting blackouts or capacity shortages. It advocates hard for continuing to invest in gas infrastructure to keep dispatchable power and the lights on. Still, MISO's grid is far from being on the ragged edge.

Show me the last time MISO made a public appeal to conserve energy. MISO hasn't had an EEA3 since Winter Storm Uri, and even there, the problems were in the South, where the storm was terrible.
    There are literally dozens of them for the areas MISO covers, some reference MISO other do not.

Funny thing how the numbers of whole house generators are going through the roof, those folks believe it is coming. Now go back to the comfort of your normalcy bias...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just because there are no active alerts, doesnt mean there werent or wont be. They have been issuing alerts in various parts of the country the last several years.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    There are literally dozens of them for the areas MISO covers, some reference MISO other do not.

Funny thing how the numbers of whole house generators are going through the roof, those folks believe it is coming. Now go back to the comfort of your normalcy bias...
    Yep, just call your local Generac dealer and ask how business has been (or how soon they can get you on the install schedule)...

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel

Every time it gets hot or cold, they run an article. Have since Uri- don't trust the media, remember? It's just a recycled story.

MISO hasn't had an EEA event in any of those. No load shed. No public appeals. I had a Generac before I moved to Carmel. I actually lived in San Diego in 2011 during the SW blackout, it makes you paranoid. I haven't needed one here. We aren't too outage-prone where I am.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Just because there are no active alerts, doesnt mean there werent or wont be. They have been issuing alerts in various parts of the country the last several years.
    TVA/LG&E had some issues in the 2022 Winter Storm, but that's because their generation got knocked out from winter weather, not demand problems.

ERCOT/LA/AR/OK had problems in Uri, but that was similar, generation outages, no wind, etc.

ERCOT has had some issues in Texas, but that grid is significantly less stable than ours. It works, but they don't incentivize generation, just serving load.

Active alerts should be zero right now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Every time it gets hot or cold, they run an article. Have since Uri- don't trust the media, remember? It's just a recycled story.

MISO hasn't had an EEA event in any of those. No load shed. No public appeals. I had a Generac before I moved to Carmel. I actually lived in San Diego in 2011 during the SW blackout, it makes you paranoid. I haven't needed one here. We aren't too outage-prone where I am.
    Not a prepper I see. It is stupid to wait until crisis to fix the situation, but that is exactly where we are headed. Again, this is normalcy bias its finest.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

I lived in Brownsburg for 15 years. Zero outages aside from a few 15 minutes here and there. I still had a portable generator, big enough to run 85% of the house.

I'm thinking you have fire extinguishers in your house and you likely carry a gun, so why not be prepared for a power outage?

FWIW - I sold that generator for what I had in it when we sold that house...

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Interesting that this thread was started. I had an end of driveway discussion with a LEO neighbor Saturday. A part of that discussion involved the potential for terrorism related power outages.

I relayed my belief that though that potential certainly existed I felt the Midwest was in better shape than either Coast to weather such an event. The combination of significant coal and gas powered on demand generation coupled with a bit of wind generation, and being essentially at the center of one of the nation's major grid networks I believe gives us an advantage. As with the previous East Coast grid meltdowns, the Midwest grids including MISO, would likely disconnect to protect the Midwest grid. I can see our power either coming back sooner or just staying on during a major coordinated attack on the grid.

Personally I think everything from Kansas West will be at risk either through the distance the grid has to cover, or the density and lack of resiliency. The same is true for the East Coast.

I'm sure we are all quite aware of what happens in highly densely populated areas when the lights go out.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You can pretty much fix grid carrying capacity with existing lines by upgrading the conductors for a reasonable price (compared to running more transmission lines), but it doesn't do any good if you can't or won't increase the supply of electricity available to meet the increased demand

They should have pushed hybrids as an intermediate step rather than trying to go directly to EVs. 10% EV penetration negates ALL the power saving standards and regulations to date

Top Bottom