• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, TBH I'd agree with Kutnupe14 that the wise thing would be to insure the formula was going for the intended use. Reading the article, it at least gives the impression that's what happened, but :dunno: for sure.

That said, the act of generosity is more in line with the LEO's I've known and worked with.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just a couple questions for you Kut:

Would you have bought the formula after you shook the guy down?
    Do you ever have good days? If you do it is hard to tell when you seem to look at the negative side a lot.

Would I have bought the formula for him? Assuming he check out ok, I can't say for sure. Regardless of his reasons, he's a thief. He is intent on depriving hard working people of their property. My grandfather was a crotchety old man, and one of his sayings was that he couldn't "stand a thief or a liar." I subscribe to that too. People are rarely caught the "first time" they do things, so my inner thinkings would be how many times has he done this? And by giving him a free pass this time, why wouldn't he try it again, if when he gets caught nothing happens, other than people feeling sympathy and buying it for him.

Now what I can tell you, is that we would've had a long talk. I'd find out why he's stealing, his employment status, and believe it or not about his faith (I actually do this more than I probably should). I'll provide him with the resources to make contact with helpful churches, and those willing to give him a job (which is a lot, with an officer's rec). That shows me how serious a person is about themselves and their family. I've done this numerous times, and you know what, I can count on one hand the number of time I've vouched for a guy at a job, and he's shown up for a cursory interview. I've learned, that in today's society people rarely attempt to help themselves get out of their situation, but have no qualms about "helping themselves" to other people's stuff.

And everyday is a good day for me. I don't look at the negative side a lot, per se, I look at the "how can this bite me in the ***" side of things. Me on INGO may seem that way because I often believe the opposite of most members. When people post one the daily negative threads about Obama, the Democrats, of the Left in general, I look to see the positive. Not because I honestly believe it (which in some cases I do), but because this endless "preaching to the choir" is boring, and I want to challenge people's thinking. At the very least, people read my posts and are exposed to a differing point of view. And rather than post an assault on an article that can't defend itself, I give them a outlet to articulate their opposition and we'll "converse." Some may not like it (like the guy who neg rep'd me and called me a pos, today, lol), but I think some value the pov, if not the opinion. After all, I don't think I'm on many ignore lists.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sorry, but Kut's not the only one who wonders if this is as stated.

You mean to tell me, all the government programs, food banks, charity programs, etc, ..... this guy had to steal baby formula.

Or did he sell of a SNAP card, instead of using it.

I'm not saying he did, or didn't.
    But I guess I'm an untrusting fellow.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Like I said, I try really, really hard to just help those in need or who seem to be need and to not pass judgement.

Ain't easy, and I'm not that good at it, but I try.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Like I said, I try really, really hard to just help those in need or who seem to be need and to not pass judgement.

Ain't easy, and I'm not that good at it, but I try.

Are you saying you'd do the same as a police officer? Where do you draw the line? If the store manager wished to press charges, even knowing the story, what would you do, say "no?"

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You mean to tell me, all the government programs, food banks, charity programs, etc, ..... this guy had to steal baby formula.

Not necessarily on topic, but sort of: for those that aren't familiar with these programs, it isn't always easy to get on them.

Some people are ashamed to ask for help and so on.

And some people are just thieves, but like I said I try to help and let Someone else judge.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Are you saying you'd do the same as a police officer? Where do you draw the line? If the store manager wished to press charges, even knowing the story, what would you do, say "no?"

Not even close to what I'm saying. I'm saying I try to help people where I can, and not pass judgement.

You're also missing the huge, gigantic fact that the whole point of the story was about an officer doing something nice for a citizen. It really isn't about the guy stealing the formula...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

As a "normal" person it is very easy to find a story such as this uplifting, compassionate, and feel good about a good cop who gave a guy a break for something we can feel sympathy for.

Yet it takes someone like Kutnupe14 to simply question the alleged (for Kirk) facts before drawing a conclusion.

Herein lies a personal story: When I was touring Europe some years ago one of my stops was the Vatican, a place where millions of good, decent Christians come for a religious experience. Most of the folks there are Catholic and feel really good about being at the foundation of their church in Europe. Many folks there are moved to be at their best. So it would have been very easy for a young lady to get a good handout. You see, I was approached by her with a horrible sob story. For some reason my spidy senses went off immediately in the presence of this con artist. However, she was so very compelling, compassionate, and desperate that I had to step back, nod my head, and just appreciate watching a true master at work:bow:. She spun a terrible story of being so far from home and family while being robbed here in Rome. It was an absolute masterpiece performance that I had to let her finish her tale of woe. She must have spoken to me for at least ten (10) minutes before trying to close the deal, as she only needed 20 Euro to get back to her hotel. It was such a heartbreaking story told with such compassion that it would have been worthy of a Dr. Phil episode. Well, OK, maybe not a whole episode but 20 minutes at least.

What was amazing was how quickly her demeanor changed when I, in sympathy, agreed we must do something. I told her we need to go to the Vatican police right away. We need to stop these vile thieves and let the police deal with them. I told her I was certain the Vatican police would provide her with a ride - to where she needed to go. She was so very kind that she didn't want to get anyone in trouble. Her departure from my vicinity was graceful, polite, and extremely fast!

Con artists know how to pull the heartstrings. That is what they are very, very good at. Steal alcohol? Zero sympathy! Straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200. BUT steal baby formula? Insert good sob story. Mix with a few tears... Well, we have an entirely different emotional environment.

If this whole story is true than it was a nice thing for everyone to help someone down on their luck, desperate to do anything to feed their child in a time of need. NO PURPLE HERE. I am serious.

However, perhaps Kutnupe14's spidy senses detected something due to experience or information that others have not been exposed to. It is good to be kind and generous. It is foolish to believe every sob story that is told. Trust, but verify...

Regards,

Doug

PS - I was temped to give the girl 10 euro for the show. It was a really masterful with great delivery.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and yet steal a lactating woman and we all would be up in arms.

Goes to show how THE MAN will promote the manufactured formula industry over good, old fashioned breast milk every time.

Do any of us really know​ what's in this formula?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    ...and yet steal a lactating woman and we all would be up in arms.

Goes to show how THE MAN will promote the manufactured formula industry over good, old fashioned breast milk every time.

Do any of us really know​ what's in this formula?

Monsanto is secretly in the formula business :tinfoil:

Top Bottom