Just bought a 300Blk upper... can't wait for next year!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    This guy didn't take 10 steps after one 300 blackout pistol round entering just over the shoulder existing the base of the neck.

The biggest deer I have ever shot. Probably the biggest I ever will for that matter...

LtWU41.jpg

Didn't know we had Elk in Indiana!:faint::bowdown:

Either that is one HUGE deer....or the kids need to eat their vegetables!...LOL

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    This guy didn't take 10 steps after one 300 blackout pistol round entering just over the shoulder existing the base of the neck.

The biggest deer I have ever shot. Probably the biggest I ever will for that matter...

LtWU41.jpg
    Wow, that is a huge buck! Tell me you will have that mounted and on your wall?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Wow, that is a huge buck! Tell me you will have that mounted and on your wall?
    LOL, no that was one of those lean Novembers where I was in the process of trying to add bedrooms on the house, a kid had upcoming open heart, and Christmas was fast approaching. There just wasn't a budget for mounting it, so it's rack hangs in my shop but no mount.

It was pretty cool the way I got him, the six-year-old on the right nagged me into taking him hunting on a small piece of private land at dusk. Since I had him with me, we read the wind and just set up on the ground in a little juniper stand on the side of a pond. Not 30 min later he came in from behind us and froze with a perfect window in the brush over his shoulder. I knew it was a buck and a big bodied deer when I shot him, but didn't realize how big till I came up on him. Probably for the best, probably would have blown the shot with the shakes had I had a clear view of the rack!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    That is one giant rack. Indiana?

Very impressive!
    Thanks much, it was Indiana, southern Johnson co. Trying to get back on track, Doc I will be going out for late doe season and I normally take one of my kids out with me. If you and a son would like to come out and walk/sit with us a couple times I can see if I can get the ok from a landowner or two. Might not be a bad way to figure out how you want to do things next year.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    My upper shipped today :rockwoot:

anticipating my scope and mount this week too. I should build another this week just for kicks

My OCD doesn't let me keep an upper around without a matched lower lol. But that kind of thinking leads a pile of AR's... What scope did you go with?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    REFURBISHED VIPER PST 2.5-10X44 EBR-1 RIFLESCOPE

Spoke with AAOptics and he recommended this for the range and type of shooting expected. The refurb was priced right for me. I ordered Friday, it shipped Saturday and got it today (Monday) :D

I should be able to hit MSCC and get it sighted in, especially now that I know how

Nice, I have a cheaper vortex on my 300bo, you'll be happy with it for sure. Sighting in is easier off of a bench, lock it in - shoot - move reticle to shot. As long as you're on paper with the first shot...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm going to bring a refrigerator box :D

any advice on distance to zero it at? I've read between 25 and 50y. I don't expect to take a shot beyond 150y

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    My first shot was at 25, I had it in a vise steered the reticle to the impact and I was pretty close to on at 100 shooting 120 something grain super sonic rounds that are not available anymore. All of my supersonic rounds have a close enough point of impact that I don't adjust for different loads. 1 to 2 inches up or down at 100 or even 150 will still keep me in the kill zone on a deer. And I agree with you, keep it under 150 yards, it is a great round in that range. 150-200 is doable but shot placement is vital, and over 200 the energy drops so fast that it seems unethical to try and take a deer that far out.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I used a 70 yard zero on mine and I am very happy with it for deer hunting. Really if this is primarily a deer gun any zero 30-100 will be adequate for shots out to 150-175 with your crosshairs in the kill zone.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I used a 70 yard zero on mine and I am very happy with it for deer hunting. Really if this is primarily a deer gun any zero 30-100 will be adequate for shots out to 150-175 with your crosshairs in the kill zone.

A zero at 25 yards gives you a .05" high at 100. A zero at 70 yards puts you .84 inches high at 100. The 70 yard zero will drop about 3.5 inches at 150 yards while the 25/100 yard zero will drop 4.5ish inches. Zeroing at 25 makes the math a little easier, but you're right on a deer you will be in the vitals with either zero.

Calculator I used

ShootersCalculator.com | 300 blackout

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Zero it at whatever distance you'd like, I prefer 100 for any centerfire rifle. Once zeroed, shoot it at every 25yds from 25 to whatever you consider to be the max distance you'll use it and record the point of impact (shoot at least 3, preferably 5 round groups at each distance) . Once you have those recorded go back and dial the scope to hit POA/POI at each distance and verify that the scope is tracking appropriately.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm going to bring a refrigerator box :D

any advice on distance to zero it at? I've read between 25 and 50y. I don't expect to take a shot beyond 150y

The best advice is to match your zero to your most likely shot distance but err on the side of a closer zero. Usually you will have more time to adjust your aim on a deer at a hundred plus yards than you will at deer 50 yards and closer. Shots with a short time limit to execute combined with a zero that causes you to need to adjust your point of aim is an open invitation to "buck fever" and Murphy.

My first shot was at 25, I had it in a vise steered the reticle to the impact and I was pretty close to on at 100 shooting 120 something grain super sonic rounds that are not available anymore. All of my supersonic rounds have a close enough point of impact that I don't adjust for different loads. 1 to 2 inches up or down at 100 or even 150 will still keep me in the kill zone on a deer. And I agree with you, keep it under 150 yards, it is a great round in that range. 150-200 is doable but shot placement is vital, and over 200 the energy drops so fast that it seems unethical to try and take a deer that far out.

Good advice here. Many hunters spend way too much time worrying about maximum range when most shot opportunities will be much closer than 150 yards.

Zero it at whatever distance you'd like, I prefer 100 for any centerfire rifle. Once zeroed, shoot it at every 25yds from 25 to whatever you consider to be the max distance you'll use it and record the point of impact (shoot at least 3, preferably 5 round groups at each distance) . Once you have those recorded go back and dial the scope to hit POA/POI at each distance and verify that the scope is tracking appropriately.

Also good advice on checking your point of impact every 25 yards. A longer zero distance can cause close shots to hit lower than you might expect if you do not check your point of impact at those distances. When a deer is in front of you is not a good time to be guessing or calculating where your bullet will impact.

Top Bottom