just getting around to joining ( Indiana Home Guard )

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No, there's not a "national consensus" for your belief. Note the present tense used - not "if" or "when".

Note if the world was actually like they pretend to believe it is, they wouldn't exactly be allowed to recruit and operate in public. Tyrants aren't well known for allowing dissent and armed resistance. Pretend tyrants are much more liberal about tolerating rivals, apparently. Almost like Hollywood villains....go figure.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Note if the world was actually like they pretend to believe it is, they wouldn't exactly be allowed to recruit and operate in public. Tyrants aren't well known for allowing dissent and armed resistance. Pretend tyrants are much more liberal about tolerating rivals, apparently. Almost like Hollywood villains....go figure.

Let's not let reality interfere with running through the woods yelling, "pew! pew!"

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Glitzy site. I don't feel that they would provide the safety in any event. They look more like the random checkpoint trying to go through my vehicle crowd. How many of these groups have ever actually shown up to do any form of humanitarian aid? How many do something besides defense "tactics" as part of the "resistance to tyranny." Further down that schemes what's their plan other than to attempt to resist? How many have any political activism or knowledge of political processes? I would rather serve my community and family than join this militia/ ODA Of idiocracy.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wait, I thought we were yelling "wolverines ", now which is it?

Oh, and I am a homebrewer, too!

Dude, We are in Southern Indiana..We yell "'Possums" when we roll in the river bottoms....

I can't join a militia anyway...My wife gets mad when I go down to the basement for too long..She will never let me hang out with a bunch of guys yelling "'Possums" down in the Baja's...:)

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Militia (by traditinal deffinitions and associated stigma) = Bad

Group of like-minded friends and neighbors with a plan, hang out, and who like to train occasional at the LGS = Good

Friends you've known your whole life will drink beer with you and will take a bullet for you. You think if you're FNG in some militia many of them would do the same?

Keep it simple and keep it low-key. You don't need a camo jumpsuit and someone yelling at you to keep your family safe. Have a plan with people you already know and trust.

Cool heads always prevail!

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Well to those who say " running through the woods yelling wolverine " not so much. Drilling yes aka. Training.

IMG_20150722_115725_zpsmtwzqlj4.jpg

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Badwolf, don't take this as an insult. Why are you interested in joining this particular militia? Have you served in the military and if not, could you possibly join the National Guard? I'm trying to determine if your reason(s) is to protect your family from others or just be prepared to provide alternative food sources?

My answer to why I would want to join and why every abled body man or woman should join their local militia.
    IMG_20150722_114759_zpsh30gqb03.jpg

IMG_20150722_115725_zpsmtwzqlj4.jpg

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I guess I just have to come out and say it for you. Many people here are training regularly, as a group of trusted brothers. Guys we eat with, drink with, support when life hands them a **it sandwich.

Weekly, monthly, quarterly, force on force, comms, medical, hth, etc. That might mean 3 days living out of a pack in 10 degrees or sitting in an office with a sand table or an HF radio and a laptop.

The point is you are not going to grow the kind of trust and credibility you need with a public website and forum posts.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I will say this as the comms guy, I am always reaching out to other groups as a source of intel. Groups that I have trained on comms, met through Ammron etc. A broad source of intel resources is a good thing.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    And as stated in other threads on here using the 2A as an example that the left wont just come out and do a gun grab, but slowly, methodically chip away at the right of the 2A. Or any of the provisions of the constitution. And the founding fathers knew it.

IMG_20150722_114725_zpsvcdu1qcu.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And as stated in other threads on here using the 2A as an example that the left wont just come out and do a gun grab, but slowly, methodically chip away at the right of the 2A. Or any of the provisions of the constitution. And the founding fathers knew it.

IMG_20150722_114725_zpsvcdu1qcu.jpg

It's ironic you use that quote to justify playing "Wolverines!" as a bastion against tyranny when the quote comes from TJ's attempts to educate the masses via free public schools. A knowledgeable citizen being the best defense being his point.

79. A Bill for the More General Diffusion of Knowledge, 18 Jun ?

Not as interesting to LARPers, though.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    It's ironic you use that quote to justify playing "Wolverines!" as a bastion against tyranny when the quote comes from TJ's attempts to educate the masses via free public schools. A knowledgeable citizen being the best defense being his point.

79. A Bill for the More General Diffusion of Knowledge, 18 Jun*?

Not as interesting to LARPers, though.

Have you seen our free public schools as of late, and what they are turning out?

L5xn89X_zpsewvpqy4p.jpg

What is that saying we use on here about are EDC side arms" better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" ya I would rather have a state militia in place and not need it, while trying to effect political change. Than not have a state militia and need it.

Last edited:

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    You know battle field strategy has changed over the last 200 years, we don't stand in lines anymore and exchange gunfire like they did when you were a kid. So mustering of a modern militia looks different than it did 200 years ago as well, and so does the ( Field Training Exercises ) aka "running through the woods yelling wolverine ".

So I'm trying to wrap my head around how BehindBluel and the like think a modern militia should look and train when they muster ? I'm thinking standing at a firing line at a range then having dinner and going home...

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You know battle field strategy has changed over the last 200 years, we don't stand in lines anymore and exchange gunfire like they did when you were a kid. So mustering of a modern militia looks different than it did 200 years ago as well, and so does the training.

The menu has changed too... and since I love nachos and manwich, it's a very attractive draw.

But seriously, the modern militia doesn't really have a look. They aren't really capable to do things outside of self protection. Militia members haven't been put in enough "real" situations, or even had realistic training situations, that I'd trust them to take any objective, let alone be in a stack with them about to make a room entry. I god to heavens truth, would feel safer if I joined a street gang in Detroit full of 15 and 16 year olds. Odds are they've seen and did a lot.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    But seriously, the modern militia doesn't really have a look. They aren't really capable to do things outside of self protection. Militia members haven't been put in enough "real" situations, or even had realistic training situations, that I'd trust them to take any objective, let alone be in a stack with them about to make a room entry. I god to heavens truth, would feel safer if I joined a street gang in Detroit full of 15 and 16 year olds. Odds are they've seen and did a lot.

That is the idea of having a lot of combat veterans ( retired or currently serving ) as the core of the group they help setup realistic training exercises and general combat techniques from their real world experience's and knowledge.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Badwolf,

It seems like you're the guy who just bought a Mini-14 having never fired a gun and are now feel compelled to defend your choice to a bunch of AR fanatics.

Look, if you want to go join a militia. . .do so. It's a free country, despite the assertions of the various websites involved in this thread. People have always felt concerned for the future and have gathered in groups to provide mutual support.

These militias are not something new. . .far from it. You probably don't know the fiasco that arose about 25 years ago, centered right here in Indiana. You couldn't go to a gunshow or a gun club meeting without someone trying to pass you a VHS tape of "Mark From Michigan" telling you how to equip for the New World Order or talking about TACMARS on the backs of signs on the highway.

Or of JJ Johnson and his "I'm not an angry white man" speech he gave to a congressional hearing. JJ visited Indiana many times as he was, IIRC, a founding member of the original Ohio State Militia. Scores showed up at these meetings. Many, like you, wanted to feel part of something bigger. They wanted the comfort of knowing that others felt the same way and took solace in the group dynamic.

You probably don't remember the bat-**** crazy Indianapolis lawyer Linda Thompson, self-described "Adjutant General of the Unorganized Militia," who tried to organize a Militia March on Washington to arrest "Enemies of the Constitution," hold drumhead trials and hang said enemies. She got up until the week before the event and then backed out of it claiming that it was ". . .all just a joke." She went on to ram into the rear of Hillary's "Bus Tour for Healthcare" bus with a loaded AR and 1911 in the back of her minivan. She claimed that she was then strong-armed by Secret Service and dragged into an alley where they were just about to assassinate her with a gunshot to the head when a lone Indianapolis Police Officer walked up on them and prevented them from doing so.

She also tried entering the Marion County Jail armed with a pistol and then declared she had a right to go in armed.

The names Norm Olson and John Trochman (Michigan and Montana militias, respectively) probably don't ring any bells. Yet they were constantly in the news with the creation and running of their very active militia groups. IIRC, the Michigan Militia once claimed to have over 20,000 active members (yet, they could only muster about 30 for a special article written by Soldier of Fortune. . .go figure).

You probably don't remember newspaper articles and TV stories on the various militias that were sprouting up all over this country in the early 90's or of Media Bypass Magazine which was printed down in Evansville. They were just as concerned as you are, now. . . and that was 25 years ago.

But. . .where are they now?

Well, the answer to that one is pretty easy. . .they quit the organized militia and, if still active, are doing so underground. . .those that have survived heart-attack, stroke and alzheimers, that is. Most of the militias that were around at that time disbanded. Half of the members were active federal informants and most of the rest were trying to be. The militia also had to deal with the whole OKC Bombing thing which, in a single stroke, turned "militia" into a four-letter-word.

Yes, you're catching a lot of crap from the other members of this board, but let me ask you a few questions. You don't have to answer them here, but I hope you'll give them some SERIOUS consideration and allow them to affect your decision to join a militia.

My questions to you:

1. Why do you REALLY want to join a militia? Is it really to make a difference, or is it because you feel you have to do. . .something?

2. What do you wish to accomplish with a militia? If you're wanting to wear a uniform, camp out in the woods and go shoot at targets with a bunch of guys while beating your chest about how you're going to take the country back. . .great. You have a right to do it. Go do it.

3. Do you really think that in a true disaster or insurrection or UN invasion, etc., these guys are going to show up and protect you? Go back and watch that video about the Indiana Watchmen. Did you happen to notice where all the supplies were being kept? At the leader's house. If you happen to show up, he has your food. What happens to your food if you can't make it out? If travel was restricted? He still has your food. . . and by the looks of him, your food is in SERIOUS danger. Do you really think Commander Tubby is going to put on his Bass Pro Ghillie Suit and lead a mission to extract you and your family when the Black Helicopters and MRAPS are roaming the neighborhoods looking for insurrectionists?

4. And what about your family? I'm assuming you have one, of course, but do you just intend to leave them to fight off the wolves while you go play Benjamin Martin in your best BDU/ACU's?

5. Are you wanting "free" weapons training? I'm going to submit to you that you're not going to get any quality training from these guys. The majority of them haven't spent any time in the military and those who did, usually weren't in combat arms. And while they may have passed Basic Marksmanship and went through their obligatory 4 hours of hand-to-hand combat training. . .that still does not qualify them in individual- or small-unit tactics. If it's training you're looking for, save your money and attend an established, professional school. It may be expensive, and your running around in cammies, full combat gear and Oakley's may be frowned upon, at least you'll have a core set of skills that you can apply when you need it.

Oh, and have the other members of your family go through it as well. What happens when the federal informants advise their handlers that your militia Strike Force is away from Commander Tubby's Compound and your wife has to protect the rest of the family while you're downrange with your tactical tomahawk and muttering "aim small/miss small" over the sights of your Bushmaster AR laying in ambush to strike at the Blue Helmets? Not having them trained, especially if you truly feel there is a pending danger, is borderline criminal.

Even though I know you've made up your mind, I'd suggest that joining a militia is not a way to enact change or even protect yourself and your family. Again, it's a free country and you can do whatever you want, but I will just ask you to do us all one single favor:

If you join one of these militias after a true soul-searching, then come back to us in a year and tell us how it went, even if you were bitterly disappointed and especially if you truly feel it was worthwhile.

The Professor

Last edited:
    Top Bottom