• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Are you carrying day to day or for hunting? I ALWAYS have my trusty Tanto Gerber ICON on me and when I hunt I used a couple select gerber bowie knives and also sometimes I carry a Gill Hibbon III bowie (Knife from rambo 3).

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I know a few people carry a couple, but I just carry one ESEE Izula. I keep it razor sharp, so I do not really need a a second knife. The Izula is a great do-it-all knife.

SlugRetention

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Wells Co.
    I have minimal knife knowledge...I am looking for something for self defense, bug out and anything else that anyone with lots of knowledge would suggest.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I tell ya what for self defense I carry a 18in telescopic baton sometimes. If somebody has a small knife on you, the baton is going to do a LOT more damage. If you want a folding knife for self defense, go with something with a blade 3in or longer Id say.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have minimal knife knowledge...I am looking for something for self defense, bug out and anything else that anyone with lots of knowledge would suggest.

The best bet would be at the next Coliseum gun show... Look up Brad and Sheila... They are on the site here ( Brad's knives and Knife lady). They will steer you right and take great care of you... Unfortunately, they were just here last show and I don't date of the next show...

I'm sure Brad or Sheila will see this thread and post in here with more info...

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Izula 2 or esee 3 are tough to beat for a fixed blade edc do all knife

Definitely get in touch with brad and Sheila (knifelady) they're awesome and will set you up.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Training...for self defense or personal protection, none. All i do now is fillet fish.

then, in my opinion, you won't really notice a difference from one knife to the next in that realm. deployment would be the only concern.

i would look at a reliable, quality tool, first and foremost. weapon would be last on my list, as you are more likely to use it as a hammer than a life ender....

fixed or folder?

for fixed, the ESEE stuff is tough. but doesn't have a lot of "uniqueness". Zero Tolerence is very tough, and has more flair. but a higher price tag. a spyderco MULE is awesome.... and lets you figure out how you want it, and gives a host of steel flavors. Strider MFS is all but impossible to beat.

for folder. Strider SnG. CRK Sebenza. any spyderco folder. most benchmade folders. Hinderer XM18. Kershaw makes nice folders for the price....

you really have a metric ton of choices.........

what do you like the LOOKS of?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The knife to have depends on what you want to use it for and when. Some thoughts to consider:

"Self-defense" to me implies that it should be carried on me at all times, every day. I should be able to carry it around without undue (or any, if possible) attention, in whatever clothes I am wearing, and be able to access it (draw it and get it in fighting configuration) immediately, and with either hand, and it shouldn't endanger me in use, and it has to fit in with my other everyday items (e.g. handgun, flashlight, whatever). Oh, and it helps if it is legal to carry where I am. :)

This further implies that it must be small enough to fit in my pocket or in my waist band, or under my shirt on a neck chain, or ... someplace. Generally with a pocket clip. If I wear 5.11s and a T-shirt everyday, and/or a vest, that presents certain options. If I wear a shirt, tie, and dress slacks everyday, the options may be somewhat different. For me this tends to rule out bowie knives (also because I can't legally carry a bowie in Texas, which is abominable, but true).

If I choose to carry it in one front pants pocket, can I reach it with the opposite hand? While under attack (while standing, on my back on my side, etc)? If not, this is a point for considering carrying a second knife where the other hand can get to it.

Accessing it means I have to be able to get it out my pocket (or wherever) and get it in fighting position. I.e. a good grip on the handle and a the blade deployed. If I am carrying a fixed blade, blade deployment is more ore less "done", but if a folder I have to get it open. Thus a fixed blade is simpler to deploy, but you can get "more knife" in the same space if you carry a folder. And if it is folder, not only do I have to get it open, but it has to STAY OPEN. The locking mechanism needs to be pretty much bullet proof. I am not at all a fan of liner locks. I am a fan of the Cold Steel Triad locks, and there are a couple similar, the Axis is one, and another I think. If a folder, then I have to learn to open it by one or more of the various methods -- using the "wave" type feature, inertial, thumb stud, etc. A friend of mine has documented numerous ways to draw and deploy a folder. Some are easier and safer than others.

Self-defense also implies that the handle must provide a very secure grip and not let my hand lose the knife or slide up on the blade if I stab into something hard (also, that lock has to hold), and/or there is blood and/or sweat all over the handle. I may need a separate cross guard, or the handle may be shaped with finger notches or choils to provide the same function. It should have a texture that reduces slippage. This will be at odds with a utility knife that is intended to be used a lot -- a utility knife (like a kitchen knife or a machete) will have a smooth handle so it won't abraid the skin on my hand after making dozens of slices.)

The blade needs to be very very sharp and pointy, yet very sturdy. Stabbers tend to be long and narrow (think Fairbairn's knives). Slashers tend to be thick and lots of curve to the edge. For self-defense, something in between is desired.

Stainless is more corrosion resistant, but most people find non-stainless blades easier to sharpen. There are lots of steels that offer combinations of toughness, hardness, and edge-holding ability, and you can go crazy trying to figure them all out. Many knife manufacturers have their own proprietary steels and keep the actual composition secret. D2 tool steel is one decent choice for a carbon blade (non-stainless). A lot of inexpensive knives seem to use 440A stainless, which as I understand it is an OK but not top quality stainless steel. 440C, IIRC is better. Beyond that you are own your own.

From my training, sparring, and oppositional work, having a nice long blade is very comforting and useful. Inches and half-inches count in close work. However, there is a practical limit as to what can be easily (and legally, in some jurisdictions) carried, and no one should discount a little one-inch push knife blade. And very hard to disarm.

Clubs are nice, but they are illegal to carry where I am, and seem to take up more room than a knife. Not as convenient to cut string or clean your fingernails either. :) I have limited experience so far in using a club, but it seems to me that in close work, meaning hands-on each other, in-my-face kind of stuff, a knife is handier. To me at least, I see pulling a knife as pretty close quarters stuff. (Frankly, I am more worried about dealing with my opponent's knife). If I can make some distance, any situation where I my knife is legally justified, so is my gun so that will come out. But if is on top of me and I think deadly force is justified, then out comes the knife.

Now a knife for a bug out kit might be totally different. If it is for more general use, like camping/survival/tool use, something bigger and heftier might be in order. But that depends on why you want it in your kit, what purpose it will serve.

Having said all that, there has been a lot of knife work done with a Buck 110 or a kitchen knife or a single edge razor.

Also, you might want to look up Hideaway Knives, for a somewhat different approach.

Oh, and most of all -- if you are going to carry a knife for self-defense, TRAIN to use it. Especially train to access it while being attacked. Look up Tom Sotis, he is a superb knife guy.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I tell ya what for self defense I carry a 18in telescopic baton sometimes. If somebody has a small knife on you, the baton is going to do a LOT more damage. If you want a folding knife for self defense, go with something with a blade 3in or longer Id say.

A baton is a great weapon and has the reach of a machete. :yesway:

To the OP, you can never carry too many knives on you.

I sometimes carry 4 or 5 on me. :D
    Fixed blade, folding utility knife, backup blade, swiss army knife etc ... one knife cant do it all and if you like knives why not carry more than one. :dunno:

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    Spyderco Bushcraft
    16_143.jpg

SlugRetention

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Wells Co.
    Thanks for all the input! I am new to the 'prepping' and I have been doing a little reading and I am trying to decide on a lot of things. There is a lot to consider here. After reading all the replies to my post, I am thinking I need more than one knife! Kinda like carrying more than one gun!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Big fixed blade
    Medium fixed blade
    3.5-4" folder
    SAK or leatherman

Success.

Then just buy a bunch more knives cause they are cool.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    This can get in depth. I have had defensive knife training and in my opinion the best knife for rapid deployment is a fixed blade. I can get mine out faster than any folder going. It is a TDI knife carried on support side, appendix. I also carry a CRKT folder for everyday use. Both are non-serrated, zippers and such will catch and pull the knife out of your hand. Get a good on that will not fold up when used. A liner lock is a good bet, hold the blade in between your thumb and finger with the edge up and "smack" the body on something hard. If it folds, one you will not get cut and two, its not a gook lock. Just a grunts thoughts.

Top Bottom