• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Here is a video for the TDI knife. Watch the end, the do a comparison between a folder and a fixed. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZivRcSnPyw[/ame]

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you do not have specific trainging on how to use a knife for self defense, carry a pistol. So, given that, your wide open for a choice. I'd suggest looking for a good all purpose blade that will let you do whatever you need it for.

It may take a bit of experimenting, but you'll begin to get an idea of what works for you. And remember, what works for one person, may not work for you. You're still gonna have fun and you get to fondle a lot of knives!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    if you intend for a knife to be a signifigant part of your self defense plan, you need to get some training. simply carrying an item doesn't make you able to defend yourself with it. as a matter of fact, it opens you up MORE to the danger of having your weapon turned againest you. its not a matter of having the tool, its a matter of USING the tool PROPERLY.

luck favors the prepared.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'm always carrying my Spyderco Endura (well, maybe a SOG folder, once in a while). I've never used it for self-defense but I've opened packages, cut cheese, pie, trimmed my fingernails, gutted a deer when I forgot my Buck 110. It's good for about anything. I just make sure to keep it shaving sharp.

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I feel that a knife should create more benefit than discomfort or hassle to wear or carry. In my opinion its like a pistol, it's of no value when you don't have it in your possesion.
    My favorite knife of all time is the Boker Trapperliner. I can carry it most anywhere without hassle, as it can not be detected w/o some sort of scanner. It has a thumb stud but, can be "flipped" open for quick use. It holds a good edge and it pretty easy to sharpen. I seem to use it for about everything. The Boker is a decent quality knife for a reasonable price.
    Case has came out with a copy called a trapperlock. Looks like a dead ringer of a copy.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    For me "Just one Knife" would mean just one new knife in a calendar year.

I expect to see what I call a Curits Lemay special under the tree this Xmas. This would be a good just one knife in camp or the field (fish and game) and is similar to an old favorite of mine. The sooner you buy that one knife, the sooner you will come to know what your other "one knife" knives need to be.

This will be my one new knife for Xmas
    https://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-knife/boker-plus/tactical-knife/02BO155.html

02bo155.jpg

It is a remake of this knife.
    A Scarce USAF Blade: the Boker 155 Survival Knife - EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum

jdfast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    SW Indy
    An Izula2 is my EDC, I don't believe neck knives are just for the trail. Where else would i keep my Fenix E01?

If i'm backpacking i also carry an ESEE 5 or a CS hawk.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    if you intend for a knife to be a signifigant part of your self defense plan, you need to get some training. simply carrying an item doesn't make you able to defend yourself with it. as a matter of fact, it opens you up MORE to the danger of having your weapon turned againest you. its not a matter of having the tool, its a matter of USING the tool PROPERLY.

luck favors the prepared.

Well said!

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    This has been mentioned but knife choice ultimately depends on personal preference and training.

Fixed blades are quicker to deploy but can be bulky to carry, depending on the brand, size, etc.

Folders can be more convenient and concealable in regards to carry but are slower to deploy.

First, decide which type of knife you feel will work best for you then start looking at different brands, models, etc. If possible, you actually need to feel and hold the knife to get a good idea if it will work for you. Knife recommendations are fine but keep in mind that we are all different with different hand sizes and preferences, so you really need to figure out what you like through trial and error.

Most importantly, you need to get some training. Regardless of the knife or knives you choose to carry, they will be next to useless if you are unable to access and deploy them due to stress and lack of training. Even if you get one out, you need to know what to do with it. Wildly slashing and stabbing MAY be effective against an uncommitted attacker but would be next to useless against someone intent on harming or even killing you. Just like the use of a firearm, you need to focus on effective targets that are statistically most likely to slow or stop the threat. Anything else is a waste of time and energy and could cost you your life.

Also, you should consider that if you travel outside the state the knife laws will vary. Personally I prefer to carry knives of a style and size that are generally legal in most states. This way I don't have to worry about switching out my knives before I travel. Just something to think about, if you happen to leave IN for any reason.

In regards to carrying two knives...generally this would depend on circumstances. I normally carry a single folder about 95% of the time. When I travel or go to areas more likely to pose a threat then I carry an additional knife, usually a neck knife (fixed blade). I also carry pepper spray and a pocket stick for those less-than-lethal situations, keeping in mind that the knife is a lethal force tool and should not be deployed unless the situation warrants lethal force.

Hope that helps,
    Steve

Last edited:

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    As a couple here have said, the ESEE Izula is a great all around knife. I am not familiar with the Izula "2", but I am sure it is just an updated version of the original. They are great knives. From a metallurgical standpoint they are some of the best steel available imo.

Top Bottom