• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Ever hear the punchline "if 5 won't get the taste out then 6 won't"? First thing that popped in my head when I saw the thread.

evo2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    indianapolis
    1911s will grow in numbers once one makes it into your safe. My 5" .45 created a "need" for a Carry-comp .45. Then I "needed" to add a 9mm Commander since I already had other 9mms and piles of ammo. Now those 3 have expressed interest in a high capacity 2011 in 10mm to keep them company. (AllenM is currently helping fill this void.) And that 10mm has asked for the 2011 frame in the safe to be a 38 Super. You need to have a lot of self control or it can get expensive fast..... ask me how I know! :spend: :):
    Weird that you mentioned 38 super. Was looking to purchase one but seems like it a dead caliber only 9 mm, 10mm and 45 in 1911s Havent found anything.
    Its a hard to find caliber.

evo2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    indianapolis
    :rockwoot: Went to the range with my dad today. I decided to rent a 1911 just for the heck of it. Neither my dad nor I had shot one before, nor had either of us shot a .45 before. Wow! It was such a great shooter. Felt great in the hand. The recoil was surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Just fantastic! And, sadly, now I want one. I blame INGO for this. Had I never found this site, I would never have thought about what I was missing.

1911s are very unique and have a great history. I own just one, but plan on changing that soon. And yes 45 is a blast to shoot. With very to little recoil on a full size.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I've got 2 currently that required no "tuning" to run fine. I had a colt that ran a couple thousand rounds without fail. Just sold another that was also flawless. So..... what am I missing? Or is it another 1911 hater that has never owned one repeating internet myths?

I've been wondering the same thing. I've had a Remington Rand 1911A1 made in 1942 since the early 80s. From what I can tell, nothing has EVER been replaced on it (except I had to replace the thumb safety when I first got it since the original looked like it had slid down a gravel road. Of course, that was before the Internet, so I had no idea you had to "hand fit" all parts on a 1911 to make them reliable).

I did have one failure-to-feed a few years ago, but that was because I tried out a cheap budget magazine. Judging by its age, and the condition of the barrel, along with knowing how many rounds *I* have put through it, I'd say it's somewhere north of 300,000 rounds.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Congratulations. Firing a 1911 .45 ACP is a rite of passage, even if it's only a range rental for an afternoon. Must be .45 ACP and full size if at all possible. I carried one for about seven years or so, courtesy of Uncle Sam. It's my favorite pistol platform. The other rite of passage in North America is the .357 magnum revolver; not a snubby, but with 4" or longer barrel, six chambers and single/double action.

John

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Congratulations. Firing a 1911 .45 ACP is a rite of passage, even if it's only a range rental for an afternoon. Must be .45 ACP and full size if at all possible. I carried one for about seven years or so, courtesy of Uncle Sam. It's my favorite pistol platform. The other rite of passage in North America is the .357 magnum revolver; not a snubby, but with 4" or longer barrel, six chambers and single/double action.

John

I really like my 4" S&W 586. So much fun to shoot.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie

John

I've taken "baby steps" to the .357. I have a .38 Ruger Service Six. I'm ALMOST there!

Top Bottom